Thrash Metal with real instruments - let me know what you think

hollowmanpl

Hey.

Here's a track I've been working on. No samples, no ampsims. It's not perfect but let me know your opinion.

cheers!

Not bad dude. It's a little dark though. Could use some high/low pass filter. Try this free plug in and put it on every track. I love it. It's the greatest.

Brainworx | bx_cleansweep V2

Reminded me of Carcass at first.

Last edited:
Sounds good, its is a little cluttered in the low mid. A touch muddy.

I thought the instruments sounded good. I'm not an expert in the genre, but that sounded good to me. Great speed playing. Levels on the instruments seem pretty well balanced except the lead guitars were a little quiet.

The vocal was a little far back in the mix. Seemed to be missing a bit of the high end. Slightly muffled.

yeah, muddy mix. guitars have the right sound dialed in on the amps, but perhaps the guitar bus needs some eq tweaks -the problems seem to lay where there are lots of guitars going on with heavy chords. i don't know, that's where i would look first. things are a bit indistinct. makes for a decent demo i think, but def room for improvement IMO.

however, i'll add that it's nice to hear this kind of stuff in the clinic. i miss KSE- I think i'll pop them in my player on the way home from work.

ehh you've forced me to start the mix from the scratch :) or at least remaster it :)

You don't have to start from scratch. Never start from scratch. Just consider it taking steps towards improving it. How will you improve it if you keep starting over?

You don't have to start from scratch. Never start from scratch. Just consider it taking steps towards improving it. How will you improve it if you keep starting over?

Agreed. Only time I start over is if I upgraded a piece of equipment. This track can be worked on in the session. Do it again from the start and you may end up right back where you were.

sometimes when you know that's there something annoying in the mix but don't know what it's good to start over again rather than spend more time on the same 4575635675 mix :)
I'll try to remaster it this weekend

I start over sometimes. When the song is promising but something just isn't happening, starting over can save time and aggravation and get you to a better result.

I don't do that shit. I go and work on other songs. As I improve other songs I apply the changes I've made to all my other songs. All my songs start on the same level and by the time I'm done mixing my whole project it ends up sounding very consistent from track to track. It can be really hard to make a group of songs sound like their at the same level if you don't have some kind of plan and take notes every step of the way. Not to say I'm super strict with my note taking, but a little goes a long way. Just something to think about :thumbs up:

I listened to the new one. So, did you end up re-recording, or just remixing?

In my work phones at the moment. I can't tell on them if that low rumble is going to be problematic on other systems. It's ok on my phones, but maybe it would be exaggerated on another system...sorry for the ambiguous response there. it sounds like somewhere around 100-200 is a little raised...did you have any EQ boosts anywhere? again...work ear phones. might not be hearing accurately.

i actually thought it sounded really good otherwise. i'm in the process of writing/mixing something for a metalcore band - what's your reverb implementation here? How many? what's running to it/them? nice work.

edit: listened a third time. this is REALLY good. that small woofy/muddy sound is still there, it's during the "verse" on the chugs. Probably not an issue overall though. This is very good...metal is hard to mix.

Hey I've changed whole mastering and just tweaked mix in few spots :) Thanks!
I use Redline Reverb - on whole drums + snare + toms to taste :)

Back