Thoughts on this mix...

sjayers

Hey guys. We are finishing up work on a single for Easter at my church. I've been buried in it (writing arranging, playing, recording, mixing) and need some fresh ears. What do you think as far as balance, eq, levels, etc? Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• He Lives (SAMPLE 4-7).mp3
    5.7 MB · Views: 6
I don't think friendliness has anything to do with it. I don't know about anyone else, but I tried playing it and it ain't playing. I re-freshed the page 3 times and still couldn't get it to play.

EDIT: Nothing wrong with your link, the problem was on my end. Sorry.

OK, first of all, this is so far from anything I'd ever listen to. Having said that, this is very well done, pretty awesome actually. Love the vocals. At first, I was going to say the lead vocal was a little too dry for this kind of production. But by about 2 minutes in, I got used to it and found it very soothing and easy to understand every word. I think the song builds perfectly and the arrangement is really great. Very well done. Impressive.

Sorry, maybe friendly wasn't the right word. I wasn't implying "unfriendliness," just seeking input... I have been back and forth with the reverb. My first instinct was to give it a bunch more, but it seemed with the density of the arrangement and the choir and all that maybe it didn't need it... So you (Rami) ended up thinking it was ok?

Very well sung. Vocal tone is nice and clear.

Piano is a little cheap sounding, but not too bad.

I think the female vocal could come up a bit.

The low end (especially the bass) is a little strong.

Little pop at 1:35. Might be a plosive. But it sounds a little "clicky."

Thanks TripleM. I agree the piano is less than impressive. I tried to make the best of it. It's from Garritan- came with Finale. I don't really have much in the way of VST instruments.

I appreciate your feedback on things that could be addressed/tweaked. It is really helpful to get feedback on something like this. I've been "blood sweat and tears" into it for the past 2 or 3 weeks, and it is great to have someone who has never heard it provide some fresh insight. Also my monitors are only 6 inch, so often I have a hard time really referencing what the low end is doing.

I checked for the pop. It wasn't there in my DAW, but it was on Soundcloud. Must have either happened in mixdown or in Soundcloud's mp3 conversion.

Back