Thoughts on this electronic rock mix?

I placed the link directly for you. In the future, just post the link in your post-go to 'advanced' Highlight the soundcloud link in your post and click on the icon with the Soundcloud logo. It will place a direct play link to your post. :)

Sounds cool, but not sure what you are going for. On quick listen I hear some places that seem empty. Mostly the percussion doesn't hold up on it's own without the music behind it. I really like the singer. Retro kind of almost Cranberries vibe. I don't hear substantial low end going on in the tune. More needed there in my ears. Better kick and snare will make it obvious what needs to be done. But again, I am not sure what you are going for, and for me to judge that is out of place.

Good tune!

Mix sounds thin (by today's standards). Could use some overall gain on the bass, but I don't know if that's all that could be done. I think some of the tones used (mostly guitars?) are thin and kind occupy and compete with the vocals for that space. I'd try a slight scoop on the guitars, maybe favoring the lower end. That might help to separate them from the subtle synth parts.

Vocals are very clean, probably too clean. Try adding some chorus, see if that helps.

I agree about the guitar and vocals being bland. But I kinda made the drums and overall sound a little thin. I like the way things contrast. This is part of an experimental ep that has a specific concept.

Do the clicky drums actually sound bad? Or are they just unusual? Like could I get away with them commercially?

Do the clicky drums actually sound bad? Or are they just unusual? Like could I get away with them commercially?

Could you get away with them commercially? I dunno...they are pretty thin. But they could be a "novelty" part of a tune with a stronger hook.

I'm kinda thinking of Lenny Kravitz's version of American Woman. The drums are very understated and simple; they're obviously a basic loop. I once read that this song (and others off of this album) were an intentional attempt to see what could be done with basic drum loops. But it only works because the rest of the tune carries the day.

Check out his tune and see if you get what I'm saying:

I think the separation of everything is what sticks out the most. The simplicity of the drums is fine but they are so separate that they are just out there like a sore thumb.

Alright, I reuploaded a newer mix to the same link. I added more low freqs to the kick and turned it down. I added more low freqs to the chorus gtr and I altered the verb on the vocals in the verses. Any better?

Pretty Cool, First suggestion, change the sound of the thing that's the snare at 1:00 you could make it a real snare sound, then change it back or blend it. As of now you have that stick sound on 2 + 4 through out. That alone will give some arrangement to the tune. Everything else I like, cool vocals, very eclectic. Great work, glad I got a listen to that. Pete

This is nice song! Sounds quite good, but I don't like the clicky drum. Have you tried side stick or snare? Perhaps a little less reverb (on the vocals)?

Back