Thoughts on this acoustic mix?

Mixed way too loud and compressed too much for a single singer with guitar.

The vocal tends to sing-song-y with some pitch issues and doesn't sound like someone singing about a topic that means a lot [to the singer]. In short, it's not a singer's performance.

The guitar (track?) does not sound like a quality instrument, strummed without a lot of technique. It's a bit out of tune (to my ear) so that's not helping.

I'd consider re-doing the whole thing, working on just a much better take of the guitar track, and then add the vocal with a thought to being expressive with the words, as well as working on maybe a more engaging, if not pleasing, melody.

Yup....I have to agree with keith.rogers ^^^ pretty much. Not to say that you can't rescue this project.........and not to say that you can't sing. It seems that you tried to sing along with your playing and got lost in some phrasing.........causing some pitch and phrase stretching issues......from time to time during the performance. Try to record each track separately..........if you didn't before.

This is just a start. I've seen plenty of ideas start like this tune and then grow into something much more pleasing and professional. So......keep going on it!!!

I really like the singer and the song. Several pitch issues, but they didn't bother me.

The guitar sounds rather cheap and boxy. With a sparse mix, it would have been cool to record the guitar in stereo.

Back