Think I've hit a breakthrough In My Mixing- R&B track

5tarme2

I've been studying audio engineering gear and mixes past few months. So I bring you guys my 3rd ever mix. Part of a song I'm working on. I used Nebula to emulate a neve workflow throughout the whole song. This is the most professional sound I've gotten so far. Feedback and tips would be great. Thanks! View attachment Away (1).mp3

Last edited:
I've been studying audio engineering gear and mixes past few months. So I bring you guys my 3rd ever mix. Part of a song I'm working on. I used Nebula to emulate a neve workflow throughout the whole song. This is the most professional sound I've gotten so far. Feedback and tips would be great. Thanks! View attachment 100222

Edit: I've included a mastered version using SLATE FGX and a few nebula libaries. RMS is around -11RMS, I'm under the impression thats sufficent for commerical releases. I've been trying to get the desired volume without losing any of the dynamics or punch. View attachment MasterSample2.mp3

The mix is rather blurry/muddy and the songs' vocal meter doesn't match the tempo/rhythm. It's like two oddly joined tracks.

The mix is rather blurry/muddy and the songs' vocal meter doesn't match the tempo/rhythm. It's like two oddly joined tracks.

The blurriness im hearing too, I think it's the nebula delay i have on a aux going to take it off. The vocals were originally very clear but after the export with that delay on I hear muddiness. What do you mean by vocal meter? I've actually never heard that term before.

Last edited:
The blurriness im hearing too, I think it's the nebula delay i have on a aux going to take it off. The vocals were originally very clear but after the export with that delay on I hear muddiness. What do you mean by vocal meter? I've actually never heard that term before.

I too was thinking the delay or some part of the synth stuff was causing the blurriness. But it could have been a top end cut somewhere for all I know.

Here's a video on vocal meter. I didn't mean for it to be religious, it's just the first thing I found. I'm lazy. One of the things good songwriters have in common is in determining a meter fit for the song without too much thought. The longer it takes to come up with it, the less natural it'll probably sound. So many listeners take the meter for granted and only look at the lyrics. I always shake someones hand when they comment something like, "I like the WAY the singer sings that line". Yes! That's important and it shows appreciation for something more than just lyrics. That the writer actually had to come up with not only WHAT to say, but HOW to say it. Sing, whatever. :)

How to Choose the Right Meter for Your Song | Songwriting Workshop - YouTube

I agree about the blurriness. There is a a lot of time-based (reverb/delay) effects going on in the mix. It's too much and that's what is causing the blurriness. The high-hat sample it a bit strident and calling attention away from the vocal. The vocal is also just a bit low in the mix.

edit - there isn't much low end anywhere.

Back