Things you would tweak? (rock song)

SweetDan

Just finished this. It's called "Gatekeeper". The lyrics are a bit of an inside joke w/guys I work with...software developers. I'm no singer, so I know the vocals are pitchy in places. Aside from that, what else would you change in this arrangement/mix? Thanks.

I quite like the song. Not a fan of the rhythm guitar tone. It started to grate on me after about 30 seconds. Not a big fan of the cymbal sound used either. It sounds unnatural, like it's grabbed/muted, where it should ring out. I didn't personally think the vocals were bad. Just a bit dry maybe?

So what I would change would be the guitars, get nicer tones for them. The lead isn't too bad but I think you could find a sweeter tone. That rhythm may be OK if it's turned down. This sounds like it was mixed by the rhythm guitarist. Is there a bass on this? I can hear the Kick nicely but there's nothing with it, bass line. I'd also change the cymbals.

Just my 2pence worth. I enjoyed the song though. :thumbs up:

Thanks for listening and the feedback. It was written, arranged, performed, recorded and mixed by me, and I'm primarily a bass player. ;) So yes, there's a bass line, but I too don't hear it as well as I like (especially at soft volumes).

The (programmed) drums are the "basic set" in Studio One's default sound pack, so I could probably find a better sound library if I dig around a bit. I also didn't split each drum into a separate track, so they're all mono. I should spend more time with those, yes.

And finally, the guitar tone. Now that you mention it, I do hear a lot of "rips ears off" tone and not enough "punch in the gut". I do like the rhythm tone a lot, though, but I think your suggestion to tone it down would do well during the verses (and leave it a bit raunchier in the choruses/bridge).

Man, sorry but I would pretty much change everything.

It seems that you may be looking for a quick recording and having fun. That is all good if that is all you wish to get from this recording. If you wish for something more serious to share with others... well there are issues that need to be addressed.

From the start the drums are not moving the tune. The guitar tone is really not good (horrible actually) and the vocals have no place to sit on the bed of yuck under it.

I am usually the nice guy around here but you asked. Honesty is all I have.

I may be out of line for even commenting on your tune, but I would wish someone would have been honest with me 30 years ago...

:)

The lead guitar at the start is a bit harsh and the rhythm guitar sounds a bit "flatulent".

The drums are really silent. I can't actually hear the kick, just feel a soft thump. The snare as well is much too silent to have any weight.

It's a good performance but you've got fine-tune it a lot.

Have you tried this song with a different bass tone? I like dirty guitar tones myself, but that bass seems pretty heavy, too, The two combined seem to form a pretty thick wall of sound. Maybe a Classic Motorhead-esque bass tone with not much bass would blend better with it.

Or as you say, turn it down or do palm mutes during the verses, then go apeshit with dirty rhythm guitar tone during the chorus. You can even put another line in the chorus to mock people... something about how they thought they'd escaped the guitar tone, but no! Then hammer them with it.

Pretty good song. The gatekeeper's tale needs to be told.

The guitar sounds like it's D.I.'d straight out of a fuzz pedal. Is that how you recorded it?

...If you wish for something more serious to share with others...well there are issues that need to be addressed. ... The guitar tone is really not good (horrible actually) and the vocals have no place to sit on the bed of yuck under it. ... I may be out of line for even commenting on your tune, but I would wish someone would have been honest with me 30 years ago...

:)

Uh...?

Yes, I get that people don't like the guitar tones...but then your comment there at the end, "I may be out of line...", did something weird to my sarcasm detector.

I'm not quite sure where you're suggesting I go from here.

hmmmm . . . some observations . . .

1 The voice is no better nor no worse than many others. The phrasing of "gatekeeper" is weird with the accent on "per". It makes it sound like you're saying something else.

2 The bass is poorly defined and may as well not be there for what it is adding.

3 The guitar sound is aggravating in tone and level. Guitars (specially when using distortion) are acoustically very dense, and can easily overwhelm other instruments unless managed carefully.

4 The lead guitar is functional, but a bit distant from the rest of the mix. At the end of the song it strikes a few jarring notes. Trying cutting back on it.

You might like to try this approach

1 Get the drums up to a suitable level all by themselves.

2 Bring up the bass so that it sits comfortably with the drums. Note in particular the relationship between kick and bass.

3 Bring up the vocals so that they are where you want them in relation to just bass and drums. The song should song very presentable with just these three elements.

4 Bring up rhythm guitar so that it is at a level where it is doing its job (i.e. rhythm) and not taking over everything else.

5 Bring up the lead guitar to taste.

There are other things you will need to do, like sorting out and rehearsing the notes you want to sing where they currently go astray.

Back