They Don't

chuckduffy

Haven't recorded a full track in over two years, but as threatened I am back in business. Sold my gear when I left the old house and been Craigslisting my way back to a setup. Now I'm in a new house with a new setup. Recorded this track yesterday. I'm a little shaky from being out of practice so there are a bunch of drum and guitar flubs, but I will probably record this over next weekend.
It's a kind of latter day Dylan, maybe Wilco-ish, Lou Reedish kind of joint. Interested in any all mix/song input you all have :-)

Google Drive link

They Don't Mix 1 - 02-08-2016

They Don't Mix 2 - 02-09-2016 - Verb master -1, Drum overhead -1, guitar pan left (MJB)

They Don't Mix 3 - 02-27-2016 - Cleaned up fudged notes, raised vocals, lowered bass, compressed OH a little, dropped verb level

Mix 2 as an attachment View attachment TheyDont_m5.mp3

Mix 3 as an Attachment View attachment TheyDont_m12.mp3

Let me know if the google drive presents a problem to anyone.

Last edited:
The heavy room/reverb on the drums makes them sound separate from the other instruments. In the verse verse the low tone of the vocal made it hard to distinguish from the instruments, I thought some EQ scooping of the piano might help, but then verse 2 didn't have that problem, so it probably just needs some more volume at that point. How about panning the liano to one side a little more, and the guitar to the ohter?

The heavy room/reverb on the drums makes them sound separate from the other instruments. In the verse verse the low tone of the vocal made it hard to distinguish from the instruments, I thought some EQ scooping of the piano might help, but then verse 2 didn't have that problem, so it probably just needs some more volume at that point. How about panning the liano to one side a little more, and the guitar to the ohter?

Hey thanks!

I think overall the drums need to come down. I can't get rid of the room in the drums, but I can drop the level of the verb I was using to glue things together, because it's not gluing things together :-)

Will try bumping up the first verse volume a little, and panning the guitar a bit is probably a good idea. Probably will just back off the verb fader in general to dry the whole thing up a little.

Added mix 2 up on the top post based on a few of your suggestions. Seems to gel up a lot better. Thanks!

Listening to mix 2. Sounds pretty solid.

The vocals get a little buried in the low parts, but that seems to work for this mix.

There seems to be some pumping on the piano. Compression or phasing or something.

Listening to mix 2. Sounds pretty solid.

The vocals get a little buried in the low parts, but that seems to work for this mix.

There seems to be some pumping on the piano. Compression or phasing or something.

Hmm.. Hadn't noticed that, will check it out. Only thing I can think of is that the piano is bumping up against the limiter I have on the mains as there is no compressor on the piano. I used 2:1 compressors on the vox (you can hear it kick in when I yell but I liked it), bass, OH and kick.

Damn nice for "a little shaky"

BTW G drive works very cool I'll have to start using that as opposed to soundclick

I listened to both the second one is more audible...The vocals could be a smidge more up in a few spots where it is a little hard to hear in the beginning..

Anyway I dig the tune and glad you're back up n running!! :thumbs up:

Damn nice for "a little shaky"

BTW G drive works very cool I'll have to start using that as opposed to soundclick

I listened to both the second one is more audible...The vocals could be a smidge more up in a few spots where it is a little hard to hear in the beginning..

Anyway I dig the tune and glad you're back up n running!! :thumbs up:

I like google drive a lot. I have google drive sync on my DAW and mixdown there and it syncs to all my other computers and iPhone. Then I can check mixes all over the place and in the car, and post here. Robus posted that the link doesn't work for him, which is disappointing.

The shaky part is mostly the drums. First run through with real drums. Couldn't manage a couple simple tom fills in time :-). Previously I was using an ekit which I got after being frustrated with years of programmed drums. Then I got frustrated after years of playing the ekit and finally just got real drums. Would have just nudged them in the midi on the ekit, but don't really have that option now. Good excuse to practice because OMG I LOVE DRUMS even if it is a struggle.

Thanks for checking it out!

I couldn't get the Google drive working.

Using HPs, the download is what I used. Everything sounded very good, vocals are the only slight issue. The level sounds perfect, it is just getting buried in spots. If you either brought the vocals up a tad or lowered the other parts or see if you could carve you a place for them with panning. I am talking very subtle, you could leave it alone and it would still be very good.

Nice stuff, your voice works well on this tune.

The google drive link not working here either. :confused:

I think the track sounds great though. The initial lyrics and vocal sounds a little reminiscent of Leonard Cohen. (Not a bad thing IMO) Everyone else has commented on the mix and what they'd change. I'll just add that I really enjoyed the track from start to finish, several times.

Good stuff CD - Nice to hear you recording again. :thumbs up:

Reactions: TAE
SH!t, I replied to this one earlier, but looks like my reply disappeared. The g-drive worked for me. Reduce the compression on the vocals - when you pick up the volume/style on it, it gets squashed. The drums still have a lot of the 'room' in them, but now are too far back (volume) in the mix. Maybe you can take some high EQ out of them to reduce the room reverb.

SH!t, I replied to this one earlier, but looks like my reply disappeared. The g-drive worked for me. Reduce the compression on the vocals - when you pick up the volume/style on it, it gets squashed. The drums still have a lot of the 'room' in them, but now are too far back (volume) in the mix. Maybe you can take some high EQ out of them to reduce the room reverb.

Sure man, digital dog ate it ;)

I couldn't get the Google drive working.

Using HPs, the download is what I used. Everything sounded very good, vocals are the only slight issue. The level sounds perfect, it is just getting buried in spots. If you either brought the vocals up a tad or lowered the other parts or see if you could carve you a place for them with panning. I am talking very subtle, you could leave it alone and it would still be very good.

Nice stuff, your voice works well on this tune.

Thanks for checking it out. I am going to chop up the vocal into phrases and touch up the volume level of the problem ones in the editor. I get exactly what you are mean...

---------- Update ----------

The google drive link not working here either. :confused:

I think the track sounds great though. The initial lyrics and vocal sounds a little reminiscent of Leonard Cohen. (Not a bad thing IMO) Everyone else has commented on the mix and what they'd change. I'll just add that I really enjoyed the track from start to finish, several times.

Good stuff CD - Nice to hear you recording again. :thumbs up:

Hey thanks for the listen and the comment - made my day :-)

Hey MJB

I hear you about the squashing when I sing way louder in a sort of call/response. Kind of intended the compression as an effect. I guess it is technically 'wrong', but I got what I wanted from the effect.
Tried rolling some high end off the drums, but it kills the hat, and since I'm working with a mono OH there's not much I can do except position better next time around.

The updated mix is sounds like an improvement Chuck - I think the drums are sitting a little better maybe?

I'm hearing a touch of unevenness on the vocal levels - like for example that "I don't know how to do it" section is clearly sung louder by you, but the actual level compresses unnaturally each time. The couple of performance flubs here and there don't matter as you say you're re-tracking.

Your voice itself sounds great as usual and I really enjoyed the song. I could hear some nice backing vocals/harmonies coming in later in the song and really lifting it. That would make this really cool I think. Good to hear you're getting your setup back :thumbs up:

The updated mix is sounds like an improvement Chuck - I think the drums are sitting a little better maybe?

I'm hearing a touch of unevenness on the vocal levels - like for example that "I don't know how to do it" section is clearly sung louder by you, but the actual level compresses unnaturally each time. The couple of performance flubs here and there don't matter as you say you're re-tracking.

Your voice itself sounds great as usual and I really enjoyed the song. I could hear some nice backing vocals/harmonies coming in later in the song and really lifting it. That would make this really cool I think. Good to hear you're getting your setup back :thumbs up:

I am really hearing all kinds of backing vocals too, and Hammond in a couple spots :-) I'm also happy that I've proved out my mono drums micing quest and can get drums I am basically happy with - using a single overhead and a kick mic. Now my playing ANOTHER MATTER ENTIRELY :-)

Chuck

Typing as I listen.
Appealed right from the start - the flow is great and the feel is great.
Nice piano sound !
The bass is a little "bassy" - I'd roll off the really low stuff and up the mids.
The vocals in verse 1 are a bit low (when you go to the higher notes it's fabulous)
Flub guitar note in the solo ? I'd redo it as it has a great tone and takes away from the rest of this otherwise "perfect" song.
I was going to write that the drums were meh, but as it went along that just disappeared.
Again - love the tune!

Edit - darn Google drive did do some buffering which was a bit annoying. High res? That would explain it....

Typing as I listen.
Appealed right from the start - the flow is great and the feel is great.
Nice piano sound !
The bass is a little "bassy" - I'd roll off the really low stuff and up the mids.
The vocals in verse 1 are a bit low (when you go to the higher notes it's fabulous)
Flub guitar note in the solo ? I'd redo it as it has a great tone and takes away from the rest of this otherwise "perfect" song.
I was going to write that the drums were meh, but as it went along that just disappeared.
Again - love the tune!

Edit - darn Google drive did do some buffering which was a bit annoying. High res? That would explain it....

Hey Ido - thanks for checking it out and the kind words. I got you on the flubs. There are a couple guitar flubs and some drub flubs. I was going to re-record the track this weekend, but got lost in recording another one :-)

Agree with you on the bass. Will try some cuts and bumps when I re-do.

I thought the drums worked out well in the end. I realize the snare sound isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. I play with brushes and mic with a mono overhead and kick. The room is really big with hi ceilings and hardwoods. Most of the room sound is actually room :-)

Chuck

Back