Thank You Jeus revisited

To my ear the high hat is a little loud in the mix, and the vocal needs a little air (possibly backing the hi hat off would do it by itself). The harmony vocal is a little loud in a couple of places. The lead vocal could come up just a bit through most of the song, but maybe some air would fix that, too.

Thanks Mike! Been working on it all day. Hoping to get something semi-final with this last mix. The vocals are a bit of an enigma. If I raise them, people say they're too loud. If I cut them, people say they're too quiet. I've been going through and slicing and raising and lowering little bits to make it sound right to my ear. Hopefully my last mix will be the right one. :) I really like it. Wondering if I should even post. Everyone's ears are a bit different, and at this point, I've got it as close as I think I can with my skills. It sounds much better than two years ago's version. :D

I still have that problem of writing a nice piano line that I want to accentuate, then writing a killer bass line that I'd really like everyone to hear, etc. until I have a mix that sounds like they're all solos competing with the vocal for the dominance...

Dave: I have the hardest time hearing my own voice when I'm out of pitch. I'm going to record the vocal line using my piano and then listen to both side by side to figure out where to retrack...my wife's idea. She's so good to me! The effect is from a RE called Polar. Dual pitch shifter. I run -7 cents on the left and +6 on the right with the main vocal straight up the middle. Really gives it a punch. Can add delay to both, but I don't like it that way much...

I had to turn off monitoring and pull one side of my head phone off the ear. I am still not as good as I would like, but trending better.

I still have that problem of writing a nice piano line that I want to accentuate, then writing a killer bass line that I'd really like everyone to hear, etc. until I have a mix that sounds like they're all solos competing with the vocal for the dominance...

I face that problem a lot too. Try going up an octave on the piano.

Back