Thank You Jesus II

BroKen_H

Re-member
Working on a remix. Got a few spots of bad performance I'll have to touch on, but I'm sick and taking advantage of being home alone...Hurts a lot to play, but what fun pain. :) :(

See if I can get a linkie

The lead and the bass still the same.
The guitars are redone (l+r) panned at +/-24, Finally got a chance to mike up my cube and see if sounded decent. Any opinions?
Piano is actually me instead of midi.
Next is vocals when this stupid viral thingy in my chest goes away. It'll be nice to breathe again.

Edit: 10-4-14 8:23
Okay, got the toms and kick a bit louder. Kick might need just a bit more?
Smacked the end off with a triple floor tom hit and a lot of automated faders. Kind of miss the deep A on the piano fading away, though, but it sounded out of place, so meh, kicked out the door!

Last edited:
The drums sounded meh. You might just need to turn them up a bit. I can hear that there is some power behind the snare and kick but they are just really silent.

The guitar lead around 1:47-xxx had pretty bad tone. The playing is good but the tone sounds like a Spider III or a poor amp sim. Wasn't a fan of the guitar tones in general.

The piano sounds nice as well as the bass. They both have a lot going on and complement each other nicely.

Sorry, until my brother sends me the files for the guitar tracks, I'm working with a Roland Cube30 and an SM57. Best I've been able to come up with. I'd mess around more with it, but my brother's got all the LP/Strat/Marshall/Deluxe Reverb/ (and a good deal more talent), so I'll wait.

Thanks for the listen. I'm really happy with the Kawai I bought.

All the sounds are good to my ears. The level is very low though. I had to crank my system up to what would normally be pretty loud to get enough volume to hear the track.

All the sounds are good to my ears. The level is very low though. I had to crank my system up to what would normally be pretty loud to get enough volume to hear the track.

My fault. I did a lot of listening at lower volume, then a final (obviously not) listen at about 90dB (it really kicks at that volume), but then for some reason, I kicked it back to the 65dB mark to hear something I don't remember, made some adjustments and forgot to pump it back up for the bounce...I'll fix that, and I think the toms and kick are a bit weak. Fix that all before going to work today (still sick, but what do you do?). I'm not operating on all 12 cylinders...

This sounds quite good to me. That snare got some pop to it!

I can't tell very well just how deep the kick is while listening with earbuds, but I think you might be able to turn it up a little, or maybe just try to get a little more of the beater-on-head attack out of it.

Just got to the end of the song, could definitely use a little more kick. Nice song overall.

The flu sucks these days. It didn't used to be this powerful. I got it last year and was ready to ask for a mercy killing.

I wish this was the flu. It's a clingy, awful, 101+ FEVER, massive body aches that migrate all over and then attack hard every once-in-a-while, cough until you have an aneurism, virus. Went to the clinic the other day and the doctor actually laid me down on the exam table and hooked me up to run a bunch of tests. Then said everything was normal, but it sure looked like I was having a heart attack. I told him, "No, that's just the pain I was talking about." He said my face turned white and I started to sweat just really suddenly, like the onset of a heart attack. That kind of pain. Fever broke yesterday morning at 4 am (started Sunday PM about 10, so about 102 hours of torture), but the cough is still there, and the body aches (although diminished, and now bearable) are still there.
AFA the end of the song. The original guitar was run through a series of effects that left a set of "audio vapour trails" and their buzzing out really sounded great. But now redoing has left those out...maybe I should consider hooking in the effects again, or just maybe a drum snap to signal a set end...cymbal crash build to a duh duh dump on the low toms sort of thing.

Sounds good! 2:24 a very beautiful spot! The Lead-Guitar please a little bit louder!
At the end would be a small variation cool!

I think the drums are the best sound in the mix. The rest is dealing with a slight low-mid buildup maybe. The highs are sounding a bit hyped to my ears as well. I bet you could cut high end if you cut lowmids.

Thanks for the listen Sir Lord Tutankhamun & His Band of Merry Minks!
I'm aware of the problem with the highs, but it helps the vocal to have it there for now. I'll get more serious about the high freaks when I get my voice back from this virus and can re-record.

I'll look at 300hz again. Tweaked it down a bit on several paths, but apparently not enough. Are you hearing a higher/lower area? :D

This is my first play with the whole SSD thing. Just re-did the original midi and tweaked some different strokes/hit types/velocity changes to make it a little more human-ish. Glad it sounds good.

I wish this was the flu. It's a clingy, awful, 101+ FEVER, massive body aches that migrate all over and then attack hard every once-in-a-while, cough until you have an aneurism, virus. Went to the clinic the other day and the doctor actually laid me down on the exam table and hooked me up to run a bunch of tests. Then said everything was normal, but it sure looked like I was having a heart attack. I told him, "No, that's just the pain I was talking about." He said my face turned white and I started to sweat just really suddenly, like the onset of a heart attack. That kind of pain. Fever broke yesterday morning at 4 am (started Sunday PM about 10, so about 102 hours of torture), but the cough is still there, and the body aches (although diminished, and now bearable) are still there.
AFA the end of the song. The original guitar was run through a series of effects that left a set of "audio vapour trails" and their buzzing out really sounded great. But now redoing has left those out...maybe I should consider hooking in the effects again, or just maybe a drum snap to signal a set end...cymbal crash build to a duh duh dump on the low toms sort of thing.

I guess I refer to anything viral that involves a fever and body aches as "the flu". What you describe would have me repenting and asking a priest for last rites. Are you working on this song called "Thank You Jesus II" as a way to curry favor with him and hope for some divine intervention with your illness? :) I think today he was busy fixing the Notre Dame game.

The new ending with the triple tom hit sounds good.

Quick questions about the drumming... the kicks that come in around 3:09... are you doing that with a double pedal or with just one? And that floor tom you hit at the end... is that a 16" or an 18", and what kind of mic do you have on it?

I guess I refer to anything viral that involves a fever and body aches as "the flu". What you describe would have me repenting and asking a priest for last rites. Are you working on this song called "Thank You Jesus II" as a way to curry favor with him and hope for some divine intervention with your illness? :) I think today he was busy fixing the Notre Dame game.

The new ending with the triple tom hit sounds good.

Quick questions about the drumming... the kicks that come in around 3:09... are you doing that with a double pedal or with just one? And that floor tom you hit at the end... is that a 16" or an 18", and what kind of mic do you have on it?

The song is "Thank You Jesus" and this is the second time I've put it up. You can finally find the first fail, but it's probably not worth the effort. The doctor said I tested negative for flu. I have walked with God since 1991. He's a pretty good friend now. You may be right about fixing the Notre Dame game though.

Well, about the drumming. This is my first attempt with Steven Slate drums and the drum track is the same midi from the first song, just pushed, shortened and feenagled in little teeny increments to sound more human. I've got a nice 5 piece Pearl set (at my church) and for recording I've been using a 6-piece Alesis Studio set here in my little room. The kick at the end is two separate bass drums. I can drum like that, but this was written out earlier this summer. It worked and I kept it.

Sounds pretty good on my cheap headphones.

I like the bass line a lot.

I could see maybe bringing some of the drums up a bit more as some have suggested.

Back