Test...Test....New Monitors, new interface, new everything......

Between the thread that went all "Cats" a few months ago, and this one....I better start talking about sports, and engines before people start wondering about me. :eek:

Fuck you, man. I hate you . I really really hate you. New toys all around, you spend like 2 seconds on it and you've got it dialed in already. Even the OH's, which I always bitch about, are right where they should be. And to top it all off, TEST is a great name for a song.

If I could give you the middle finger right now, I would. :mad:

I just rearranged my studio as well, and bass is all f'ed up in here now (as if it wasn't a nightmare before). So in my bizarro world of low frequencies, it sounded good to me. Maybe a little low in the mix overall, but no notes seemed to poke out too badly in my hellhole of a listening environment. Most of all, I REALLY like that riff. That's just badass.

Fuck you, man. I hate you . I really really hate you. New toys all around, you spend like 2 seconds on it and you've got it dialed in already. Even the OH's, which I always bitch about, are right where they should be. And to top it all off, TEST is a great name for a song.

If I could give you the middle finger right now, I would. :mad:
Thanx man. Fuck you too. :D

I just rearranged my studio as well, and bass is all f'ed up in here now (as if it wasn't a nightmare before). So in my bizarro world of low frequencies, it sounded good to me. Maybe a little low in the mix overall, but no notes seemed to poke out too badly in my hellhole of a listening environment. Most of all, I REALLY like that riff. That's just badass.
Thanx a lot. I'm glad this tune is coming along.

Well, I guess everything fell into place easier than I thought it would. Still have to tweak a bit, and then I'll be dealing with a new mic next week.

I really like the song, but the lows are missing. (what you listen on affects your opinion. I use flat response monitors for that reason.) Years ago while learning in the New York studios, I noticed that they could buss the output signal to any number of amps including a portable TV with a crappy speaker. The master engineer explained that this lets them hear everything on the type of equipment that most people might listen to it on including the cheap stuff. To that end, I check everything on ear buds. You're right. Your monitors are much heavier on the low end than you are used to. The mix sounds heavy in the mids and weak on the low end. We had a problem in my studio once. The client had in a powerful system in his truck with subwoofers and the mixes were too heavy on the low end. I switched on the bass boost on my amp and remixed and everything was fine. Your ears are not used to the low end output your new monitors have and now you are over-compensating. Check your eq's. If you did not eq anything, then listen while you cut some of the mids a little and see if that doesn't help. Good luck,
Rod Norman
Engineer

I feel like I'm working in someone else's studio and I don't know what the hell is going on.

This is my first recording with my new monitors, which are really pumping out the low end compared to what I was using before. I'm also working with a new interface, which records at much different levels than the other one, which surprised me (TASCAM US-1800 records music lower than the US-800). besides that, I still consider my SG a new guitar, and my Fender Super Champ X2 a new amp. Put it all together, I'm getting used to a bunch of new things all at once.

So, I can't tell if the levels and balance on this are good or all over the place. There's no vocals on this yet because I also ordered a new mic which won't come until next week. :eek:

Is this close to sounding normal?

TEST

It's certainly not lacking bass to me. The low end is there. What I'm hearing though is that it's a little mushy. The kick is a little woofy and the bass lacks your usual thumpy attack. I'd say don't hurt the lows, but tighten em up some. Guitars sound great. The rhythms are a little crispy, they could maybe use a hair more meat, but I think it'll all fall together with the lows tightened up.

I really like the song, but the lows are missing. (what you listen on affects your opinion. I use flat response monitors for that reason.) Years ago while learning in the New York studios, I noticed that they could buss the output signal to any number of amps including a portable TV with a crappy speaker. The master engineer explained that this lets them hear everything on the type of equipment that most people might listen to it on including the cheap stuff. To that end, I check everything on ear buds. You're right. Your monitors are much heavier on the low end than you are used to. The mix sounds heavy in the mids and weak on the low end. We had a problem in my studio once. The client had in a powerful system in his truck with subwoofers and the mixes were too heavy on the low end. I switched on the bass boost on my amp and remixed and everything was fine. Your ears are not used to the low end output your new monitors have and now you are over-compensating. Check your eq's. If you did not eq anything, then listen while you cut some of the mids a little and see if that doesn't help. Good luck,
Rod Norman
Engineer
Classic.

I got no bass on these crappy laptop speakers right now but the rest is pretty well balanced.
Thanx Ido.

It's certainly not lacking bass to me. The low end is there. What I'm hearing though is that it's a little mushy. The kick is a little woofy and the bass lacks your usual thumpy attack. I'd say don't hurt the lows, but tighten em up some. Guitars sound great. The rhythms are a little crispy, they could maybe use a hair more meat, but I think it'll all fall together with the lows tightened up.
Awesome, man. I'll definitely re-visit the general low end once I put vocals on this and mix it for real. I use Ampeg cabinet impulses on my bass and I did try a different sound than usual. So, I'll see if the sound I usually use is what I should have stuck with. Thanx man. :cool:

I know it's just a bit of a ditty ... BUT WHAT A DITTY!!

LOVED the tone on the guitars, and the material was founded on a great riff.

Agreed w/ great on the amount of woof in the kick ... and attack on the bass (which made for it sound slightly "nondescript"), but I thoroughly enjoyed that quick ride.

Another opinion on the low end.

I thought the level of the low end was fine. The bass might be a tad loud.

I thought the low end, in general, lacked a little woof. It was bit sterile. I think that applies to the bass moreso than the kick.

Back