Terrible Song - Mix Help needed!

stonepiano

Hi Folks,

Looking for improvement advice for this track. Supposed to mellow rock, kinda like Wilco Sky Blue Sky period.

Same file. one hosted offsite and another using the attachment function.

Terrible Song

View attachment terrible-song-2017-12-11.mp3

Track listing

Kick Drum
Snare Top
Snare Bottom
Hi Hat
Overheads
Bass Guitar
Electric Guitar 1
Electric Guitar 2
Rhodes Piano
Vocals

Has Sonitus Reverb and SSL Compressor plugins on the master mix, individual tracks have SSL EQs and SSL compression. Kick and snare drums have gates as well. Vocal has the SSL Channel plugin with "lead vocal" preset.

I've heard this about 100 times so my ears are not hearing ideas for tweaks or if there are obvious gaffes in performance. Looking forward to your collective thoughts!

Miles

Just MY thoughts...I think the drums seem disjointed from everything else. Especially the snare. It seems way in the back of the room while everything is up front. Also, the lead guitar riff sounds a little too upfront. Maybe put some verb on it to set it back some. I can't put my finger on where exactly, but the timing throughout seems to be off a little. I think the lead is just off from the groove of the drums. Let others way in and see if they hear it too.

Good song though, just need to tweak some areas.

Thanks. The guitar part seems to need a retracking for timing reasons. Will do.

Any thoughts for gluing the drums better?

Reminds me of the Grateful Dead. I think your lead guitar part is causing problems. While you have a distinctive melodic theme, there is also a lot of noodling. It's too loud in the mix and stepping on your vocal in places. My suggestion would be to mute it, sort out your drum issues (inconsistent levels on the snare, etc.), then retrack it taking a more minimalist approach. It needs to sit in the track, not on top.

Back