Tender Storm

Hi MB. Good to see you back. The backing tracks sound good. The lead synths are kinda lofi, but that seems to be the sound you prefer. It's fairly sedate throughout. There isn't much change in the energy level. A high point or two would create interest. The melody is promising, but could use some work on phrasing as I've commented on previous tracks.

Nice ambiance to the mix. Not my thing sonically, but the reverb on everything is tied together well.

There are sections where the drum pattern gets a little too busy for my tastes.

Levels on everything sound solid to me for the most part. The bass has some notes that jump out in spots.

The kick and snare are pretty buried. I can hear them, but they don't really have any energy. Which is kind of a shame because I think the interplay between hi-hat and kick is probably the high-point of things here.

The mix is pretty flat overall. I might recommend mixing it all quieter so that there can be more contrast between loud and quiet parts.

I agree with others who point out that the synth / keyboard is very dry and lifeless..................and that some of the phrasing is just a bit off..............lending to a performance that seems a little too "contrived". In that sense I think the keyboard parts seem to labor a bit (they don't easily flow) and disturb the overall feel you were trying for. It needs some "life" to it. It seems like the performance was pretty cautious...........let loose.......go for it.

Of course........that's just one guys opinion :)

Hi MB. Good to see you back. The backing tracks sound good. The lead synths are kinda lofi, but that seems to be the sound you prefer. It's fairly sedate throughout. There isn't much change in the energy level. A high point or two would create interest. The melody is promising, but could use some work on phrasing as I've commented on previous tracks.
Thank you for the advice. I only now have started to realize one of the basic problems of my tracks. The lack of rests is something that ruins my tunes. They are too busy most of them. I don't know why it is so difficult to put pauses in my tunes. I will try to learn this thing.

Nice ambiance to the mix. Not my thing sonically, but the reverb on everything is tied together well.

There are sections where the drum pattern gets a little too busy for my tastes.

Levels on everything sound solid to me for the most part. The bass has some notes that jump out in spots.
Thank you for your comment. I try to put the bass right too.

The kick and snare are pretty buried. I can hear them, but they don't really have any energy. Which is kind of a shame because I think the interplay between hi-hat and kick is probably the high-point of things here.

The mix is pretty flat overall. I might recommend mixing it all quieter so that there can be more contrast between loud and quiet parts.
Thank you for your comment and tips. I try to improve also the things you mentioned.

I agree with others who point out that the synth / keyboard is very dry and lifeless..................and that some of the phrasing is just a bit off..............lending to a performance that seems a little too "contrived". In that sense I think the keyboard parts seem to labor a bit (they don't easily flow) and disturb the overall feel you were trying for. It needs some "life" to it. It seems like the performance was pretty cautious...........let loose.......go for it.

Of course........that's just one guys opinion :)
Thank you for your comments and tips and observations. I agree with you also. I made the melody with my mouse, which might be a bad thing and contribute to the lifelessness. Unfortunately I have found it to be easier to make the melodies with the mouse although I have made some of my tunes with my keyboard.

Thank you for the advice. I only now have started to realize one of the basic problems of my tracks. The lack of rests is something that ruins my tunes. They are too busy most of them. I don't know why it is so difficult to put pauses in my tunes. I will try to learn this thing.

I've heard really nice melodies from you before, and there are moments in all your songs. So you can do it. If you're interested in a melody writing exercise, set yourself some arbitrary limit on the number of notes for any group of measures. Say 10 notes per four measures. See what you can do with that. If you absolutely need more, you can cheat. That will temper your urge to fill every space with a melody. You don't have to have a resolution in every melodic phrase. I notice your tendency to do that. Some phrases can build anticipation for a resolution that comes later.

I've heard really nice melodies from you before, and there are moments in all your songs. So you can do it. If you're interested in a melody writing exercise, set yourself some arbitrary limit on the number of notes for any group of measures. Say 10 notes per four measures. See what you can do with that. If you absolutely need more, you can cheat. That will temper your urge to fill every space with a melody. You don't have to have a resolution in every melodic phrase. I notice your tendency to do that. Some phrases can build anticipation for a resolution that comes later.
Thank you again for your advice and tips. I will try to follow them.

Back