The Temptation of Adam - Another Greg hatchet job

Greg_L

Banned
My wife likes a lot of wimpy acoustic singer/songwriter stuff. Blech. From time to time she asks me to do my own version of some of the wimpy songs she likes. Sometimes I can hear it right away, sometimes I'm like "fuck no". This one seemed to work for me, so I beat it up and knocked it out. She likes it, and when she's happy I'm happy, so I guess that's all that matters. I think it came out pretty good. Probably one of my better mixes....I think so. Maybe. :facepalm:

So here's "The Temptation of Adam" originally by some guy named Josh Ritter or something. I guess it's some kind of apocalyptic love song about two people in love in a bomb shelter. It's got a lot of fucking words. I changed a few to make it more for my wife.
The Temptation of Adam

Any good/bad/sucks mix comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Wow.

:eek:

Okay, if she doesn't love you for at least a few more months for doing this, she's a fool.

What's that other sound in the break? A kazoo? How'd you get the rocket sound at the end?

Ace drumming, man. Ace everything. Really like the guitar break. It's radio ready. Or rocket ready. Whatever.

I've never heard the original and still haven't. (Not going to)

This sounds pretty awesome to me Greg. Really like the offbeat guitars and all the other guitars to be honest. Bass sounds sweet. Drums as ever are great.

Can't hear anything I don't like. For me, it's a top job! :thumbs up:

Wow.

:eek:

Okay, if she doesn't love you for at least a few more months for doing this, she's a fool.

What's that other sound in the break? A kazoo? How'd you get the rocket sound at the end?

Ace drumming, man. Ace everything. Really like the guitar break. It's radio ready. Or rocket ready. Whatever.
Thanks dobro. Yup, that's kazoos in the solo break. Kazoos and guitars. The sound at the end is actually an atomic bomb going off, but rocket works too. I just swiped it off youtube.

MUCH better than the original.
Haha yeah, thanks Ray. I think so too. I'm tempted to email it to the author, but he'll probably sue me.

I've never heard the original and still haven't. (Not going to)

This sounds pretty awesome to me Greg. Really like the offbeat guitars and all the other guitars to be honest. Bass sounds sweet. Drums as ever are great.

Can't hear anything I don't like. For me, it's a top job! :thumbs up:
Awesome, thanks Teddy Wong. :D

Haha this is great! I just listened to the original, and I do like yours better. I think that the higher bass notes jumped a bit too far out in front. Not sure how I'd address it other than automation. Sweet tone though, if maybe a little bright to me (on the bass). What did you use to record it?

Wow. That is loud...but full and clear as well. Did you do anything different this time around at the mastering stage? Still layering those subtle limiters?

I think this may be the best mix of yours I've heard, and that's saying something (still partial to the phil spector-ish monstrosity though). I like how you interpreted the intro and the ending is great as well.

I'm afraid I have no mix advice as this sounds really very good to me all around.

Makes me want to just give up. Thanks for that!

I listened to the original first so I could see how you butchered it. :D.

Great energy in this like always. Love the snare sound. Guitars sound great as always. Bass sounds great too.

The only thing I might think about changing would be the vocal. Maybe a little delay? I like stuff dry, but this is *really* dry. This is just me, but I think a doubled vocal would be cool. Right now, it's kind of just out there on its own.

Nicely done. You definitely have your style and sound down. Not much to really say other than I kept hearing some gang vocals in my head in certain parts, just like a "Hey" or something like that during the chorus kind of parts lol.

Well done Greg, it pops right out at me.
Cool man, thanks!

Haha this is great! I just listened to the original, and I do like yours better. I think that the higher bass notes jumped a bit too far out in front. Not sure how I'd address it other than automation. Sweet tone though, if maybe a little bright to me (on the bass). What did you use to record it?
Thanks man. I agree about those bass notes, and I originally had it compressed more, but it sounded too flat so I just left it alone and let em pop out. I'll just call it "dynamics". Lol. :D

Wow. That is loud...but full and clear as well. Did you do anything different this time around at the mastering stage? Still layering those subtle limiters?

I think this may be the best mix of yours I've heard, and that's saying something (still partial to the phil spector-ish monstrosity though). I like how you interpreted the intro and the ending is great as well.

I'm afraid I have no mix advice as this sounds really very good to me all around.

Makes me want to just give up. Thanks for that!
Lol. Aw shucks. Thanks, I think. :D

Yeah this is my same ol "mastering" technique of stacking mild limiters, but I didn't intentionally try to make it super loud. I think it's just that all the stars lined up for this one. I was really happy with all my source sounds and the mix came together pretty easy.

I'm glad you liked the intro, because I got a little nifty on that. That ping pong delay is actually two amps and two cabs mic'd separately. I ran the guitar into a stereo delay and then split from the delay into two halfstacks. I mic'd each cab to catch the delays ping ponging back and forth. The guitar is centered because both amps got the signal at the same time, but the delays bounce from amp to amp. It would have been much much easier to just use a delay plug-in, but I wanted to keep it organic and I think it came out good.

I listened to the original first so I could see how you butchered it. :D.

Great energy in this like always. Love the snare sound. Guitars sound great as always. Bass sounds great too.

The only thing I might think about changing would be the vocal. Maybe a little delay? I like stuff dry, but this is *really* dry. This is just me, but I think a doubled vocal would be cool. Right now, it's kind of just out there on its own.
Thanks Trip. I totally agree that the vocals are pretty dry. They're not actually dry, but the effect on them is minimal. That was a conscious decision because there are so many damn words and I don't do them very well so I wanted the vocals to be as clear as possible.

Nicely done. You definitely have your style and sound down. Not much to really say other than I kept hearing some gang vocals in my head in certain parts, just like a "Hey" or something like that during the chorus kind of parts lol.
Thanks a lot. I have been thinking about adding some backing vocals. Maybe some heys and harmonies somewhere in there. Thanks for checking it out.

Haha, I really thought I was going to hear some acoustic nonsense then! Nice work - listened to this on my monitors and it sounds great - you've really upped your game somehow. Agree on the backing vocals - it could do with something else there - I'd think about putting something extra into the second verse as well to mix it up a bit. Everything it currently has is perfect, though - really good stuff, I'm very impressed.

Haha, I really thought I was going to hear some acoustic nonsense then! Nice work - listened to this on my monitors and it sounds great - you've really upped your game somehow. Agree on the backing vocals - it could do with something else there - I'd think about putting something extra into the second verse as well to mix it up a bit. Everything it currently has is perfect, though - really good stuff, I'm very impressed.
Awesome, thanks a lot for checking it out. :)

After listening to the original and a few other videos on YouTube from the album, I bought it today. Pretty good stuff. Your wife has good taste.

I also noticed that you'd changed Maria to Babydoll in the lyrics. I like that, so did my wife. A nice touch :thumbs up:

After listening to the original and a few other videos on YouTube from the album, I bought it today. Pretty good stuff. Your wife has good taste.

I also noticed that you'd changed Maria to Babydoll in the lyrics. I like that, so did my wife. A nice touch :thumbs up:

Haha that guy owes me a cut of his royalties.

He uses "Marie" a lot in the lyrics, and my wife's name is Theresa Marie, so I used that once or twice but it doesn't fit very well. And to be perfectly honest, I never even call my wife by her real name. I've called her "Babydoll" for so long saying her real name just sounds awkward. Babydoll is my name for her.........or sometimes she's Tits McGee and I'm Captain Butthole. :)

I've heard the name Josh Ritter, but don't really know any of his stuff. Performance is really good as usual, but the mix sounds like it's really pumping from a compressor somewhere. I dunno, it sounds really prominent to me, but nobody else has mentioned it which seems odd - did you update the mix recently?

Like at around 1.41 it seems to go "You said fusion was the broKEN HEART that's loneLYs Only thought."

Can you hear it or am I going mad?

Edit: ignore the above - all the EQ settings were somehow completely out of whack on my windows media player. One of the bass faders was all the way up for some reason. After a reset, it all goods really good. Fucking idiot :facepalm:

Last edited:
Back