Techno Times: New Techno Track

Sounds pretty good to me....you might try and give it some high end eq...to give it some air. Not sure if it will work, but it might make some of the sounds jump out of the speakers better. Other than that, very interesting man....

it sounds a bit too clinical to me. overall the sound needs to breathe a little more. did you use buss compression for drum track and on the master track?

Dogman said:
Sounds pretty good to me....you might try and give it some high end eq...to give it some air. Not sure if it will work, but it might make some of the sounds jump out of the speakers better. Other than that, very interesting man....
Dogman - thanks for listening. :) I appreciate the listen. So when you say give some more high end, you're talking the overall song or the harp/trumpet combo playing the melody?

Thanks. :)

Narayan FM said:
it sounds a bit too clinical to me. overall the sound needs to breathe a little more. did you use buss compression for drum track and on the master track?
Narayan FM - Thanks for listening, man. I appreciate it. :)

When you say clinical, you mean to methodical or too sterile?

Didn't use any compression. It's techno drums so they stay pretty constant once you set the volume right. The overall track is not compressed 'coz I just didn't think of it. :)

Any suggestions you have?

Thanks again for listening.

See I thought I had that song mixed pretty close to the final mix and didn't even realize it needed air until I heard you guys say it. :)

Once I've added more air to it and now I listen to the older mix, I'm simply baffled at how drowned the previous mix sounds and why I didn't catch it. :)

Anyway, I've updated the mix on the link above. Any ideas listens and comments would be very much appreciated. :)

Cool Bubba, reminds me of the old super nintendo RPG's. More of a laid back techno track at times. Overalll, lots of interesting sounds and melodies in there. The mix sounded fine on my system. Don't have many techno suggestions... but I couldn't help but think a screaming electric was going to come in some point for some reason. I don't know I guess my point is that it'd be cool to combine your rock and techno songs into one track sometime... just an idea :)

SnakeDog5050 said:
Cool Bubba, reminds me of the old super nintendo RPG's.

Funny you mentioned that, I immediately thought of some the songs I use to listen to on my Commodore-64 in my younger days when the song started off. I like the tune a lot and the mix is perfect from what I can tell.
Time well spent. :)

SnakeDog5050 said:
Cool Bubba, reminds me of the old super nintendo RPG's. More of a laid back techno track at times. Overalll, lots of interesting sounds and melodies in there. The mix sounded fine on my system. Don't have many techno suggestions... but I couldn't help but think a screaming electric was going to come in some point for some reason. I don't know I guess my point is that it'd be cool to combine your rock and techno songs into one track sometime... just an idea :)
Hey dude, I appreciate your input and you listening.

Well, you've heard me play guitar and I'm not the screamin' player who could do crazy guitar stuff. I've thought about it and even tried it in the past except the guitars don't come out very clean and the whole thing sounds just nasty to listen to. :)

I'll keep the idea in mind, tho. :)

Thanks again. :)

Fishmed_Returns said:
Funny you mentioned that, I immediately thought of some the songs I use to listen to on my Commodore-64 in my younger days when the song started off. I like the tune a lot and the mix is perfect from what I can tell.
Time well spent. :)
Fishmed_Returns - Thanks for listening and for your comments. :)

Well Techno was unpopular in the beginning 'coz it sounded like kids' music to most people until more and more people started doing it. :)

I'm glad you like the tune. Thanks. :)

Listening on my PC speakers.

Who is English Muffin?

This seems really well mixed, everything is pretty even and very easy to make out each instrument.

Only a few personal preferences:
- the spacey keyboards that come in on "breaks" that whoosh or pitch shift could be a little louder - more impact maybe...
- I'm not keen on the bass drum sound for some reason, might just be a tad loud...

Cool arrangement and excellent playing Big Bubba...this is very modern and extremely danceable......

:D :) :D :)

ido1957 said:
Listening on my PC speakers.

Who is English Muffin?

This seems really well mixed, everything is pretty even and very easy to make out each instrument.

Only a few personal preferences:
- the spacey keyboards that come in on "breaks" that whoosh or pitch shift could be a little louder - more impact maybe...
- I'm not keen on the bass drum sound for some reason, might just be a tad loud...

Cool arrangement and excellent playing Big Bubba...this is very modern and extremely danceable......

:D :) :D :)
ido1957, thanks for listening man. :)

English Muffin is my alter ago techno band. I figured it would be too confusing for the listeners of "the big bubba band" to listen to raw guitars and pretty rock stuff and then have a dance track come on with all techno stuff. People wouldn't know what to expect after a while. I would be chaos I tell you. So I tried to think of something european to use as a name for a eurodance/techno tracks. Starting with English stuff, I figure English Muffin was as good as any and left it at that. :)

Spacey keyboards meaning the highly delayed piano knockoff? Maybe if you piont out the time marker I'll know better. :)

The kick is totally unmodified. I put some reverb on it 'coz I knew Dogman was going to say there wasn't any reverb on the drums. :) I kinda liked it 'coz it has that "shake your shakeables" tone to it.

Thanks for your comments on the mix. This is why I like doing the techno stuff. Things just fall in their space and mixing is easy.

Uploaded a newer version with some filter settings fixed where they were turning on before the proper measure starting and added couple of more chimes in the end. :)

Anyhoo, thanks. :) I appreciate it.

bigbubba said:
ido1957, thanks for listening man. :)Spacey keyboards meaning the highly delayed piano knockoff? Maybe if you piont out the time marker I'll know better. :)
Spacey keyboards are at 2:00 (high pitched) and 3:00 (phaser), 3:06 and 3:12 (whoosh).
Man there's a lot of different sounds and drums in this one - you must have spent hours programming and recording this one. Cool !

ido1957 said:
Spacey keyboards are at 2:00 (high pitched) and 3:00 (phaser), 3:06 and 3:12 (whoosh).
Man there's a lot of different sounds and drums in this one - you must have spent hours programming and recording this one. Cool !
I think I know what you're talking about. It's the phased keyboards and the woosh sound that is not because of any effect on the keys. It's just a wind buildup I found somewhere on the computer among the stuff I have. So it's a mix.

I'm sure if I raise the keys, it will cause problems. Or I can maybe ride the faders a little and automate. :)

The woosh was much quieter before. I raise it a little and thought it was enough. But I've also been wanting to raise that a little. I'll try to raise the woosh in those points you mentioned and see if the rest is ok. Otherwise I'll just raise the woosh sound overall.

Thanks for listening. :)

This is one song that I actually did not spend much thinking time on. I've listened to it a lot 'coz I like it. It's Psalm 72 translated to a song. When I was a kid, at the end of the church meeting they'd picks up the offering and sing this song. So this sort of also has that "we're parting our ways here and we'll meet again next week" feel. This is intended to be the closer on my CD if I can put one together. So I just sorta threw it together. :)

Again, thanks for listening and commenting. BTW, saw your message on the message board on the big bubba band page and saw the signature that said G and M project. So I reminded me of "You've Got What It Takes" so I found it on the computer and listening to it (again). "Union pension and watch of gold". This lady at our work turned 25 year veteran and they gave her a lapel pin with the company logo and 25 written on it. It is gold plated at the most I would guess. Not real gold. :)

Back