Taste/Speakers/Opinions

Snowman999

In this section of the forum, most people respond with technical jargon regarding ranges. Things are boxy, muddied, too much mids, too much lows, rumbly... That's what this section is about, so it's great. Most threads have responses like this.

I'm just wondering, for the people who respond in this section: Do you ever listen to professional albums that are released and have the same thoughts?

I'm not posting this to be argumentative. I'm just curious. I realize artists who have labels backing them, and have all the finest equipment at their disposal, their albums should be at the highest quality. But, that doesn't mean you won't hear something that doesn't sound right. There are many independent artists who record in smaller studios.

I personally never have.

The only problem I ever have is when I listen to my MP3 player when it goes from one song to the next I have to adjust the volume because the mastering between one record and another never match.

I love this forum for many reasons. Sure, many elements of a mix are preference, and there are many with different preferences, but most will admit when commenting if something is a preference or is truly "off". Sometimes you can work on a mix for so long that it all sounds good, and you won't even realize something's off because you are so used to hearing it that way.

It's also great to hear other opinions, when most of us are working on these recordings by ourselves, and more ears are extremely beneficial. Listening to others' work is also great to see how they are mixing things, and what other people comment on their work. In that way, this is almost like a college course covering all aspects of mixing. And that is priceless, in my opinion.

Most everyone here seems like great people who love music, both production and listening. I have great respect for most, and listening to everyone's music is not only inspiring, but truly a great learning experience. I don't always comment on everything, but try to listen to as much as I can, and comment when I see fit.

Mastering has definitely come a long way, these loudness wars are proof of that. Most of the classic albums have all been "remastered", basically just to keep up with everything that comes out these days that is super loud. If I go out today and buy Iron Maiden's "Piece Of Mind", for example, and compare it to my original same disc from the late 80's, it's WAY louder. I personally don't get it, people have volume knobs on their stereos, music of today seems to lack in dynamics.

I love opinions also. Everyone on this site is extremely helpful and kind (unlike SO many other forums). The notes are SO precise on so many threads, I'm shocked.

Most of the classic albums have all been "remastered", basically just to keep up with everything that comes out these days that is super loud. If I go out today and buy Iron Maiden's "Piece Of Mind", for example, and compare it to my original same disc from the late 80's, it's WAY louder. I personally don't get it, people have volume knobs on their stereos, music of today seems to lack in dynamics.

I get what you're saying and can back up your sentiments. But................................

Most people DON'T have volume knobs on their stereos. most people listen on a device that fits in your pocket. If they wanna to go "Super Hi Fi" they may have a bluetooth speaker on the table. most don't have stereos or want them. Just try, on CL, to sell some old school stereo equipment and see how long it sits there.

People don't even listen to or buy whole albums, hell people don't even buy much music at all, either in the physical format or downloads. with all the free streaming services, there is no need. and people want on the go, and now!

Not that I agree with it, but mastering for loudness is almost needed just to compete with other music. Some one's playlist could be a combination of old and new material, and it's 'oh, so much of a pain in the ass' to reach down in your pocket to adjust the volume.:facepalm:

I have always thought along the same lines. Some of us amateurs can come up with mixes that are far superior to what came out back years ago but was acceptable back then. Mixing is subjective....everyone could have a different opinion on the way something is "supposed" to sound. I like to put my stuff up so someone can point out flaws I missed because I heard it so much it must be "right". Levels are a big thing, something may be too loud or too soft and I appreciate those comments for sure. I do think there is a degree of "being correct" and the rest is up to you and your own style.

A lot of mixing slso has a lot to do with "fashion"
There are definately trends where what was considered great back then, might be considered 'dated" or just not good now.

Take drums for example, the drum sounds off of a Def Leppard album 'were':awesome. You might get shot if you mixed drums like that today!

Or an earlier time, you take the Doobie Brothers. Those drums would have everyone in the clinic telling you to turn them up And the band had Two drummers, but they are mixed very low.

No one complained back in the day. They were enough to move the song along.

So yes, we tend to mix to what is 'fashionable' for the day.

I have always thought along the same lines. Some of us amateurs can come up with mixes that are far superior to what came out back years ago but was acceptable back then. Mixing is subjective....everyone could have a different opinion on the way something is "supposed" to sound. I like to put my stuff up so someone can point out flaws I missed because I heard it so much it must be "right". Levels are a big thing, something may be too loud or too soft and I appreciate those comments for sure. I do think there is a degree of "being correct" and the rest is up to you and your own style.

I agree. Best part of posting something here is fixing any major issues with volume and balance. The rest is very subjective. On top of that, I think there is a tendency to search for flaws ("nits" seems to be the word we use for this) because it's in the clinic and we think criticism is mandatory. I'm guilty of searching for issues. I'm not sure this does the mixer any good and might send them chasing their tail. For one, others opinions can have sway and make them second guess, and for seconds, monitoring systems vary, and finally taste varies and might color one's feedback or commentary. It's tricky. As a person receiving criticism, you need to be able to filter what's valid and constructive and what's others' personal taste/preference and also what is just people listening uber closely searching for flaws b/c we asked for their opinion. It's tricky.

Last edited:
Back