Taking My Time - Feedback please

mspin

https://soundcloud.com/renips/taking-my-time

Recorded in Pro Tools environment. I used an Ibanez 1987 JEM 777(sweet guitar) for the guitar parts played thru a Marshall HAZE 40C. I used Neumann TL102 for the mic on everything including the vocal tracks.Ibanez bass guitar was used for the bass parts recorded direct. AIR ,Lexicon, Izotope, BBE plug ins used. Any questions - please feel free to ask. Sharing info is cool - Peace

I would appreciate any constructive feedback from you. Thanks

Taking My Time
Written by Mark Spinner
(Verse1)
I sat across from you last night and
Looked into your beautiful eyes
You turned and smiled at me
It was all right
The possibilities are endless when you open your heart
It’s just a matter of time with a brand new start

(Pre Chorus)
Sometimes we open our hearts
We find our strength within and
Take a chance at finding romance

(Chorus)
I feel like taking my time
Spending some time here with you

(Solo)

(Verse2)
Getting to know each other
Fishing in the Florida Keys
Speaking on the phone together
With such great ease
Hearing your laughter makes me smile and
I know that you’re fine
Sharing some moments together in all due time

(Pre Chorus)

(Chorus)

Last edited:
Drums need to come up in the mix (or everything else down) If there's any cymbals besides a hi-hat, I can't hear it. The volumes for all sections - verse, bridge (which is really a pre-chorus) and chorus are at same overall volume, I think it would benefit to have some dynamic change from section to section.

Yup, bring the drums up a lot and drop the guitar; a lot.

I do not like the tone of the lead solo guitar.

I see where you can spread some of the rhythm guitars out to the sides to add some depth to the sound stage.

The song has a lot going on and the arrangement is quite dynamic, so I can imagine how much time and energy you put into it. It shows and I like what you've got going with the song. You have a very familiar voice. It fits the song. Good job on the performance. The mix has some tweaking to do, but you're almost there.

I'd have to agree with the others. Mainly what struckt me most is rythm guitars beeing in center with everything else. Just doubling track (use same track and move the starting point of one by about 30 to 50 microseconds) and panning them hard left and right should let the other instruments breath in the mix. Other than that things sound clean which is a good thing.

Yup, bring the drums up a lot and drop the guitar; a lot.

I do not like the tone of the lead solo guitar.

I see where you can spread some of the rhythm guitars out to the sides to add some depth to the sound stage.

The song has a lot going on and the arrangement is quite dynamic, so I can imagine how much time and energy you put into it. It shows and I like what you've got going with the song. You have a very familiar voice. It fits the song. Good job on the performance. The mix has some tweaking to do, but you're almost there.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond. Yes the drums need to come up in the mix. The tone on the solo is a matter of preference. I was in the neck position pickup for the solo for this one. It has a fluid like feel to me that I thought was emotional for the track.
There is a lot going on in the track and the tempo creates an energy that I am happy with. I all ready have the guitars split wide left and right. What are you suggestion exactly for the guitars?
Thanks

Hmm, the guitars seemed to be up the middle to me, but that is from memory after listening last night. Not in a position to listen again today. If you've got them panned out then I don't have any other suggestions.

Have fun!! :)

Did you use a plugin to pan them? Is the panning 100% on each side? I don't want to doubt that you put them on left and right, I only find it weird that on the mix they seem to be spot on the middle.

Did you use a plugin to pan them? Is the panning 100% on each side? I don't want to doubt that you put them on left and right, I only find it weird that on the mix they seem to be spot on the middle.

I did not use a plug in to pan. It was the track pan hard left and right 100%. It give the illusion of being dead in the center so maybe there is something I can try panning them to one side by lets say 50% to give some stereo filled width. I will post when I make the changes. It is good to experiment

Questions

Mark, I have a few questions. Here's my email. rodjnorman@yahoo.com
Rod Norman
Engineer

https://soundcloud.com/renips/taking-my-time

Recorded in Pro Tools environment. I used an Ibanez 1987 JEM 777(sweet guitar) for the guitar parts played thru a Marshall HAZE 40C. I used Neumann TL102 for the mic on everything including the vocal tracks.Ibanez bass guitar was used for the bass parts recorded direct. AIR ,Lexicon, Izotope, BBE plug ins used. Any questions - please feel free to ask. Sharing info is cool - Peace

I would appreciate any constructive feedback from you. Thanks

Taking My Time
Written by Mark Spinner
(Verse1)
I sat across from you last night and
Looked into your beautiful eyes
You turned and smiled at me
It was all right
The possibilities are endless when you open your heart
It’s just a matter of time with a brand new start

(Pre Chorus)

(Chorus)

(Solo)

(Verse2)
Getting to know each other
Fishing in the Florida Keys
Speaking on the phone together
With such great ease
Hearing your laughter makes me smile and
I know that you’re fine
Sharing some moments together in all due time

(Pre Chorus)

(Chorus)

On my system the guitars sounded extreme LR. I would be inclined to bout the between halfway and center on each side.

I liked everything, but it seems like there was a lack of balanced placement. Everything not in its own position. (Could be me). I would check to see not just frequency, but the instruments are taking advantage of the full LR field.

Good tune.

Re Mix

https://soundcloud.com/renips/taking-my-time-1

Here is the remix version based on some suggestions. Panned over the guitars and it instantly opened up the other instruments. Bass guitar is more pronounced as is piano in beginning. The guitars are even more clear. For some reason the hard pan left right was not doing the track justice. Check out the track.

Thanks

I'm still not able to listen until later today, but for the guitars, did you simply copy and paste the guitar track and then pan L/R?? If so, that would explain why they sound like they are in the middle. Or are they two individual guitar parts?

Back