TAI - mix check

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Reworking this today with new vocal tracks and I think it's almost done.
Appreciate if you can check levels etc and let me know what needs looking into. :D:D:D:D

Attachments

• Talk About It 320 MP3 20160501.mp3
    6.9 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I found the cymbals sizzly, without much metal-hot to them. But then again, my ears are shot today!

Thanks mjbphotos ! Yes there is a bit more sizzle than metal - The drums are a stereo track from our friend Jason @Art City Studio - pre-mixed for us (we're still learning how to mix drums properly and so in the interim we're going to use his mix :D )

I am listening on headphones (Sennheizer HD560 for reference) , I agree with MJ on the cymbals. Otherwise, mix sounded good on the HPs.

I am listening on headphones (Sennheizer HD560 for reference) , I agree with MJ on the cymbals. Otherwise, mix sounded good on the HPs.

Thanks DM - I am on my work computer right now but later I will check the original wav file from Jason to see if it has that or if it was due to conversion to 320 or something else. I didn't do any processing to the drum file in my mix so it may be upload related (but 320 is usually pretty good). Anyway thanks again :D

+1 on cymbals. solos can come up a bit. Very clean and clear overall...nice work! everything has its place and gels well. there's a solid foundation here.

Thanks andrushkiwt - appreciate the listen.... all I can think about is checking those cymbals (oh well only 8 more hours and I can do that lol) :D

I agree on the cymbal comments. But only after I read them. I probably wouldn't have mentioned it on my own.

The guitars all seem just a bit on the dark/dull side. Like they've been rolled off above 4Khz.

Vocals sound nice.

Nice listen. Great tune. Harmonies are great. Guitar level is great during the verses, but just a tad low between (after "got to talk about it")...1dB automation would make it perfect. Just my ears. Good playing deserves some boost! The solo is actually right where it should be.
Don't hear the guitars as "dark" on my m3-8s. The drum mix actually sounds a bit too "airy" like there's too much over 10-12k a bit of a shelf way up there might rid the "sizzle" everyone's talking about.
Thanks for sharing!

Hey Ido, sounds great. All the levels are fine. New vocal take? Good job. I'm liking the clarity in and around the vocal, and the vocal harmonies really make the song IMO. Your lead guitar is sitting right--it's dark, but not an issue for me. No idea what guitar you used, but I can imagine a fat-souding ES335 playing that part. The tone is more thick than bright like a strat or tele, but it works in my opinion. And the playing is good.

Yeah, what's with those cymbals? They just sizzle non-stop. It's got to be digital mayhem of some sort. You'll sort it out. Apart from that, this sounds finished.

5 for me...I've been here for 3 though. Maybe I'll just setup my DAW and bring my interface in to work. OMG I JUST FOUND THE ANSWER
I used to have my DAW on my work laptop (hey it's free) then I bought my own laptop as they were replacing laptops every couple of years and I got tired of reinstalling everything.
Although it's busy now we have spurts where I would appreciate having my DAW around. :)

I agree on the cymbal comments. But only after I read them. I probably wouldn't have mentioned it on my own.
The guitars all seem just a bit on the dark/dull side. Like they've been rolled off above 4Khz.
Vocals sound nice.
No high cuts on guitars but being back in the mix may be causing it and/or I'll check the reverb as it may be "hollywood reverb" I think that's what they call it.
Thanks on the vocals too :)

Sounds great on my headphones. Nice song too! Nothing I would change.
Thanks easlern - appreciate the listen and feedback :)

Nice listen. Great tune. Harmonies are great. Guitar level is great during the verses, but just a tad low between (after "got to talk about it")...1dB automation would make it perfect. Just my ears. Good playing deserves some boost! The solo is actually right where it should be.
Don't hear the guitars as "dark" on my m3-8s. The drum mix actually sounds a bit too "airy" like there's too much over 10-12k a bit of a shelf way up there might rid the "sizzle" everyone's talking about.
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Ken - Thanks for listening. Glad you like the harmonies and the rest. I'll check the original drums tonight at home to see s) how they compare and b) if a shelf will work on this. :)

Hey Ido, sounds great. All the levels are fine. New vocal take? Good job. I'm liking the clarity in and around the vocal, and the vocal harmonies really make the song IMO. Your lead guitar is sitting right--it's dark, but not an issue for me. No idea what guitar you used, but I can imagine a fat-souding ES335 playing that part. The tone is more thick than bright like a strat or tele, but it works in my opinion. And the playing is good.

Yeah, what's with those cymbals? They just sizzle non-stop. It's got to be digital mayhem of some sort. You'll sort it out. Apart from that, this sounds finished.

Thank Robus - Thanks for the listen and feedback. Vocals were the main concern on this mix, so if they sound ok that hurdle is done. Lead is my LPC ; I prefer my Strat but I like to give both their time on recordings lol. :)

I have to confess this as well.
+1 to that. I would also add that it does not sound like compression artifact sizzle. I think it's just sizzly cymbals.

If it's a pre-mixed stereo drum track, I suppose there isn't a chance that you could bring the kick and snare out a little? I feel like that would give it a bit more energy.

Otherwise, the mix seems pretty decent. Rhythm section is clear. The lead instruments (vox, lead guitar) are very dominant, but that's probably fine.

+1 to that. I would also add that it does not sound like compression artifact sizzle. I think it's just sizzly cymbals.

If it's a pre-mixed stereo drum track, I suppose there isn't a chance that you could bring the kick and snare out a little? I feel like that would give it a bit more energy.

Otherwise, the mix seems pretty decent. Rhythm section is clear. The lead instruments (vox, lead guitar) are very dominant, but that's probably fine.

Thanks for the feedback Steve - can't do much with the drum track, being a stereo track. I'm still pretty novice to drum mixing anyway so I'd probably make it worse lol...

Sounds real nice man. Lots of space and head room here. I can here everything nicely.

One thing jumps out at me. The lead guitar sounds kinda dark or even a touch muffled. The drums and rhythm guitars and vocals sound very 'open' like they have a nice balance above 2-3kHz. The guitar leads just don't match it somehow.

Sounds real nice man. Lots of space and head room here. I can here everything nicely.

One thing jumps out at me. The lead guitar sounds kinda dark or even a touch muffled. The drums and rhythm guitars and vocals sound very 'open' like they have a nice balance above 2-3kHz. The guitar leads just don't match it somehow.

Thanks for the listen ibleedburgundy - the lead part did have a cut on the Boss eq high band on this one to tame the LPC bridge pickup. I've since adjusted my guitar tone knobs slightly - like down to 8 and it has a better tone now. Took a bit to find the sweet spot (along with the amp/mic etc etc). I'm working on a new song at the moment, and if I use the LP for a solo you will be able to check it out. I'm partial to my Strat for lead though so we'll see which guitar wins lol :D:D:D:D

Gerry,
Lovely song. Everything works a treat.
the drums are sizzly but not bad or anything. You could put a high shelf on them stereo track to address it - I had to do that with my latest because the high hat cut through too much & it was a stereo drum mix. I found the meat of the offending freqs and cut that a little and then a shelf to deal with the upper reaches of it.

Back