Sylvia's Mother (Dr Hook cover)

chambie

Hey everyone. I recorded this old tune after hearing it recently on the radio. I wanted to get a "live raw feel" to it if that makes sense. I didn't do much to it, other than a touch of reverb. I would like your opinions and critique of the mix.

Thanks in advance !!

Last edited:
Well, more than a touch of reverb. I think you should post another version without the verb, might make it more natural. Maybe tighten up the harmonies a more, it is too loose. Bring up some of the lower end of the guitar for fullness.

I really think it would be much better with a lot less verb or none.

Thanks DM. I'll check the reverb level and check it without it. I agree the harmonies are loose, kind of the way i remember DR Hook harmonies, so thats what i was trying to catch. I'm pretty new to this all, and learning a ton on these forums. Thanks again for your input

Yeah, way too much reverb. The harmony is hurting, pitchwise, in a lot of places in the first verse, and in the 2nd verse they're not balanced well so the low part is a little buried.
I saw these guys live in the 70s, before they had their 'Cover of the Rolling Stone' hit.

Thanks MJ.. i saw them in the early 70's too. They were they warm up band for Sly and the Family Stone if you can picture that !! I took the reverb out and will post it to see the difference. I'll do some work on the harmonies when i get a chance. This was done in my living room…. no treatment of any sort. Kind of a spur of the moment deal.

Well, I love this tune, so kudos for even doing it.

But, what everyone is referring to as "harmonies" aren't even harmonies. They're just an octave apart, which isn't in the original. I'm not saying that's "wrong" if it's your own take on it, but it has nothing to do with Dr. Hook's version of the song.

Also, until the first chord change, you're not singing it in the right key, or a better way of putting is that you're both singing a harmony to what the lead vocal should be, if you know what I mean. Once you hit the chord change and say "Sylvia's mother says Sylvia's happy, so why don't you leave her alone", that's the only time you're actually singing the same part as the original. Listen to the original and you'll hear what I mean.

To be more clear, the first note of the song should be a C#, you guys are singing an E. It's not the wrong key, but it's the wrong "position" or "harmony", for lack of a better word. (The chord is an A major)

Besides that, reverb, no reverb, whatever, that's personal taste. But get the parts right is what concerns me more.

Ok, sorry. I don't mean to dwell on this. But for the sake of accuracy, I went and listened to the original.

So, what you're singing as the lead vocal (the E) is actually the harmony part that comes in for the last verse on the original. So, you're pretty much singing the last verse's harmony part throughout the song, without anyone singing that actual lead vocal part.

Thanks Rami. It is "my take" on the song. I agree the harmonies aren't harmonies … I listened to the original on you tube where they are hanging around a phone booth and such, and see how far off i am. I'll try and get it better, if i'm able. I'm not much of a vocalist, and don't know diddley about music theory !! But i'm learning ! given the fact that the musicality of the song is not so great, can you get a take on the levels of things at all? Does the guitar and harmonica blend in ?

LOL No problem..i don't see it as you dwelling.. The dude singing the lead vocal has a pretty unique voice !! I don't know if i could pull that off, but i'll give it a shot when i get time .

Does the guitar and harmonica blend in ?
Other than what I mentioned, I thought everything sounded good.

LOL No problem..i don't see it as you dwelling.. The dude singing the lead vocal has a pretty unique voice !! I don't know if i could pull that off, but i'll give it a shot when i get time .
There's nothing to pull off. Just find the note he's singing (C#). It's actually lower than the note you're singing (E), so it should be easier if anything. :)

Well, an octave apart IS a harmony, any note other than the main one is a harmony, just that an octave is not an imaginative one!

Dr Hook opened for Emerson Lake & Palmer when I saw them, 1972, Pictures at an Exhibition tour.

Well, an octave apart IS a harmony, any note other than the main one is a harmony, just that an octave is not an imaginative one!

Well, maybe in the strictest definition of the word, but I never considered singing the same note, even if it's an octave apart, as singing a harmony. Anyway, rather than spend another 3 pages discussing the minute details of whether or not an octave is actually a harmony, the point is that they're not doing it in the original version of this song. They're singing what I would call a real harmony, but only in the last verse.

That was always a good, and very original, song. I like covers that don't perfectly follow the originals. I like this one...the slower tempo is nice. I'd kind of like the vocal harmonies to be tighter....and not a constant...meaning...not layered with multiple parts throughout. But it's good the way it is too. Just an opinion.

Thanks Stugort. I usually like to put my own feel to what i play. Although i think i need to start playing faster on some songs to help me be more diversified ! After listening to the original, (after i recorded it ) I see what you are all saying. I definitely sang in spots where i shouldn't have, and i didn't sing the right parts !! Which make the song not so good. I do think the recording is ok, and it's cool to sit back and listen to it.

I am a big fan of this song... always dug this whacky band. I really dig the music side of your recording.. very cool... Rami nailed the lead vocal / vs harmony line but it's your football so you get to make the rules and do it as you wish.

I just tried it - recorded a version of the song, and then tried the vocals. The verse is ok - but the lead line in the chorus is really high - too high for me, and it sounds wrong an octave lower. Nice song, and no gaps - just rattles through. Nice song, and I don;t know why I have no Dr Hook in my collection?

EDIT
Went to iTunes and discovered some live versions on some of the CDs, and on them, he sings the other line - NOT the high one (the A) but the F sharp??

It's a great tune either way. They're known as a sort of "comedy" act in a sense. But he's actually a very under-rated song-writer. They have many great tunes.

Last edited:
Interesting interpretation of the original - comedy tear jerker.
Sans reverb is better.

I stopped listening after about ten seconds, I'm afraid. Drowning in reverb, and it sounds like I'm listening to the track with the lead vocal muted, leaving the backing vocals to carry the tune.

Back