Switchfoot - Dark Horses Cover (Rock)

I'm not familiar with the original, and this isn't my style of music really, but I think all the instruments sounded great. The vocal, although the performance was great, sounded small to me. (Again, maybe the original sounds like that too?) Anyway, I think the mix sounds very good other than that. Very tight performances too.

As above, I thought this was really good. The only thing that really let it down for me was the drums. As you say, they are virtual drums (the bane of home recording) and here they sound very robotic. Some tinkering with the velocities and humanize function, if you have one in your midi editor, could help with that.

Again, as above, this is not my style of music either and I don't know the original but I enjoyed the listen.

Good stuff :thumbs up:

can tell it's a virtual guitar, here's what I'm thinking....

the bass drum is a bit too clicky sounding, a bit too loud balance wise,

vocals not loud enough balance wise and there's too much 600Hz making it muddy, it needs to be a bit more up front.

Bass guitar sounds good to me, snare could be a bit more controlled with compression.

Guitars sound decent. But if I had to guess whether it was a sim vs an amp, I think I would have guess correctly. A typical listener probably isn't going to care. Doubling was very tight.

Drums are pretty robotic.

The vocals are OK, but they sound a little far back in the mix. When the power guitars are really doing their thing, it's tough to hear them. I think the vox might be a bit too soft and might have a little too much reverb on them.

I thought the bass sounded pretty cool. Supported the song well.

Back