Super early CONCEPT - Mystery Game Music

TheLurker

Yeah the title says it all... very little mixing/mastering has taken place and I have very little experience with MIDI. Anyways, this is meant to be game music for a mystery game that a friend is making... and this is one of my concepts I have for background music for the game. Any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated - I'll be updating this thread as I make progress!

Also, any advice on eq'ing/compressing midi? I can render the midi to wav... but I have never eq'd/compressed piano or strings... really I have only ever done guitar/bass/drums/vocal... Thanks for the feedback in advance guys!

Original: View attachment new-techno.mp3
New Mix: View attachment mystery-v2.mp3
TheLurker

Last edited:
Mystery as in, no one knows what it's going to be yet, or some kind of mystery-solving game? I guess I'm not familiar with the term.

Anyway, I've never used midi nor written game music, so I can't help you with the technical aspect nor am I necessarily an expert on anything. I do play a lot of video games though!

As sparse as it is, that probably makes sense for a game, and I can actually see this fitting in well with some sort of tense part of the story. I liked the drums and thought the quiet,splashy ride cymbal part (is it a ride?) could come up some, while the louder, steadier, almost shaker-like/high hat part was kind of loud. It was a cool surprise when the drums went into hyper drive there. I liked that, and it could work well in the context of a game.

I think you should add some more drone/pad/swell sounds that could come in when the drums kick in like that though. It's a little empty arrangement-wise in those sections given how much energy the drums are trying to create. Basically build up more of a contrast between the higher energy parts and the mellower bits. I guess that would be my advice at this point...such as it is! :)

Ah, I apologize, yes a mystery-solving game. In actuality the game is suppsoed to be a jack-of-all-trades platformer (he is an excellent programmer and I have no doubt the game is going to be epic), but it definitely has puzzle-solving and a mystery weaved throughout it he says. I'm supposed to be getting a demo of it soon so I can really see how my compositions will mesh with the gameplay.

As far as your comments... thank you so much! Also, I felt kind of dirty just having a somewhat repetetive track. Yes, there is the part that gets fast however, the actual melody doesn't change a whole lot... but from my research (and playing games myself) it seems pretty common in games to have a repeating melody line. Anyways, thanks again, I plan to take your comment to the drawing board for when I get back to composing and editing the song! :)

I'm so lost in my mix it's pathetic... Everything I try just leaves something competing for space... Mostly Eq/Panning is messing with my head... I haven't done anything other than try eq/compression/panning and I can't even get those dialed in for the tracks that make up the concept demo... Any suggestions would be highly appreciated and taken into 100% consideration.

TheLurker

New-techno?
I was expecting a wub wub wub.

I might even make the piano a bit quieter or take out some mids. It's supposed to be background music for a game, yeah?
I imagine it being a bit of a sneaky game and background music can get really, really f-ing annoying in games when it's too penetrating or your stuck and it just keeps on playing in a loop.

The piano occasionally panned around randomly. I thougth that that was weird. I also imagine the game having stereo sound in game and the player maybe having to listen to certain audio cues. This can really be anything from a door opening to a footsteps from a specific direction. The bouncing piano could be distracting here.

Nice tune though.

Ah okay, thank you for the advice Schwarzenyaeger! As for the actual file name... yeah my bad, that is pretty misleading, I forgot to update it to something more appropriate haha.

TheLurker

Back