The Sun Lies - alternative pop rock

Those sounds blend so well. My standard formula for rhythm guitars is to record a couple of single coil tracks and another with a Gibson humbucker, then turn them down and pan then wide. I use the Tele a bit more often than the Strat, but either works.

Agree with those who say this hardware sounds better than the software sims.

The volume level changes pretty dramatically between the intro and when things kick in. It's really noticeable in the bass. After a few seconds I adjust to it, but it's pretty abrupt at first. I think a simple solution is turning up the intro. The balance in the other part sounds good, so that's what I'd do.

Wow dude, sorry I put off checking this out, been so frikkin' busy over here it's crazy.

Those guitars are fantastic. Love hearing my 3000 in action. I agree with what most everyone else has said, the guitar sounds are definitely better than what you had before. Not that they were bad before, 'cuz they weren't; but now they have power, grit, thickness, and serious depth. And a certain energy that the sims just didn't really have. This shows exactly why I've never really bought into the sims trend. Digitechs just sound better to me on so many levels. Song is killer, too, and the energy and tone of the guitars definitely gave it new life.

No mix nits at the moment, was too busy listening to the guitars lol. But nothing jumped out as 'off' either.

Those guitars are fantastic. Love hearing my 3000 in action.

Thanks! And thanks for the rec. Should've listened to ya about it sooner, but thanks for persisting :) It def gave me the urge to get creative again - funny how some new guitar stuff can do that. I came up with 2 or 3 ideas for new songs the night the GNX arrived, after I played with some of the presets.

Nice sounds-I think the rhythm guitar sounds great-a more dynamic and responsive sound then usual imo. Vocals sound excellent as usual, nice melody-i also like the wash of the synth? over the early part of the song, it's subtle but fills the soundscape in well. Nice use of delay on the vocal..The drums sounded a little forward to me when they came in, just my first impression, they seem to settle in when the singing starts again. The drums sound like they're dragging in the "di di di doo doo" singing section. I don't know how else to describe it..I know you go to great lengths to make the timing work and they might indeed match up perfectly on the grid but something..maybe it's the snare accenting too many beats instead of leaving space that sounds like a part a drummer wouldn't play...something sounds off to me in that section. The distorted electrics sound nice and full-big without being obnoxious. There's a good bottom end to the mix but i don't hear much definition from the bass. I believe you know what you're after and how to get it so any mix comments are just personal preferences, the song sounds great overall. Nice work!

..The drums sounded a little forward to me when they came in...

I think the whole thing sounds pretty forward, purposefully, since the intro has EQ filter on it. I wanted the kick-in part to be in-your-face as a stark contrast to the hollow intro. Really, the kick-in is just normal, typical production. I think, perhaps, it only sounds that way because of the intro it's coming directly after. Otherwise, it's a normal mix.

So, I think

..I know you go to great lengths to make the timing work...

There's also an issue where Studio One is writing/plotting the microphone inputs early in the timeline. Sometimes I forget to check a track and make sure it's lined up nicely. I really wish I could just play along with the drums and that's it, that that would be close enough to a band playing in a room, together. Unfortunately, if I check closely after tracking a guitar, or bass, it isn't lined up where I played it. It's close, obviously, in milliseconds, but not exact. So I need to manipulate every live track. I could easily have overlooked one or two. For sure.

...i don't hear much definition from the bass. I believe you know what you're after and how to get it...

I guess I wanted just a fat bass line, big and round, not much top, since there were so many guitars going and synths poking through. I didn't think it needed it, but I understand those who like more top-heavy bass instruments. Usually, I'm trying to cut out as much top as I can to get a warm, fat, heavy bottom end that just fills it up without sounding very "stringy".

Thanks for the detailed comments! I appreciate the critique very much.

There's also an issue where Studio One is writing/plotting the microphone inputs early in the timeline. Sometimes I forget to check a track and make sure it's lined up nicely. I really wish I could just play along with the drums and that's it, that that would be close enough to a band playing in a room, together. Unfortunately, if I check closely after tracking a guitar, or bass, it isn't lined up where I played it. It's close, obviously, in milliseconds, but not exact. So I need to manipulate every live track. I could easily have overlooked one or two. For sure.

Maybe we've already discussed this and I just don't remember. There should be a setting in the DAW to adjust this. It would be called record latency or record offset or the like. Normally the software correctly compensates automatically by sensing the out-in round trip latency but sometimes it doesn't get it right and you have to adjust manually.

You can do a loop back test to measure the exact value. Connect an output to an input and play back something like a snare hit and record it to a new track. Zoom in on the timeline and select from one peak to the next. Set your timeline to read milliseconds or even samples if it can and look at the duration of the selection. That will tell you the exact correction value.

That will tell you the exact correction value.

Is this it? If so, isn't it already telling me the correction value here? Again, if so, HOLY CRAP no wondering I have to do so much adjusting all the time.

Is that 31ms it? I don't see where I can adjust that via settings. Looks like I'd have to adjust the files over 31ms, no?

Screenshot (10).png

Screenshot (11).png

My "device block" is at 256. And it's showing 12ms input latency. I believe that, and not the monitoring processing, is the problem. Right? Because there's a delay with "input", it's going to write it incorrectly. But remember that it's writing EARLY, not late. Never ever has a note been late, always early.

Found something that says this:

"The aim when recording is to keep your latency as low as possible. This reduces the amount of delay between the time you play and when you hear it - this delay happens because the audio has to pass through A/D (analog to digital) conversion, be processed by Studio One and then back through the D/A (digital to analog) so you can hear it.

So set you device block settings to the lowest possible setting"

but I'm not looking to HEAR things sooner, just have them written later. The delay I HEAR is fine. Doesn't throw me off. The early plotting is the issue.

Just talking to myself here, til someone to reign me in chimes in. :)

I'm not sure what those are telling you*. Normally if the software accurately measures the out to in round trip it correctly compensates, so if you're having trouble with tracks lining up I wouldn't trust what the software says. In that case I'd do the loop back test to measure it myself then find the manual adjustment.

Input monitoring latency is different from record latency. That's in to out rather than out to in. Software can't compensate for input monitoring latency, it can only try to minimize it. But it can compensate for record latency, either automatically or through a manual adjustment.

*[Edit] I think those panels are talking about input monitoring latency.

And yes, I have. I have a drummer, but neither of us have an electronic kit to trigger the Superior sounds with. Whenever he hears a new song, the first thing he says is "damnit, I wish I had a kit that I could play along on". I'm thinking of picking something up, so it might happen next year sometime. We'll see.

I don't want to speak for PoeticIntensity, but I think what he meant was "have you considered recording real drums?" (Maybe I'm wrong though?)

Your songs definitely deserve it. Another great one.

I don't want to speak for PoeticIntensity, but I think what he meant was "have you considered recording real drums?" (Maybe I'm wrong though?)

Your songs definitely deserve it. Another great one.

My drummer has a set, obviously, but it isn't going to sound anywhere as good as Superior will. I'd have to spend thousands on mics and stands, cables, room treatment, etc... to get half the sound that Superior provides. Mic'ing and recording drums is by far the hardest part of the process. And Superior provides the quality that majority of home recorders wouldn't get on their own. I'd be stuck with one snare sound, one kick etc... and be at the mercy of whichever room we're in. To do music bit by bit, a little at a time, in between work, school, home life, it's not really feasible to try and have a huge, professional, modern rock drum sound.

Therefore, having him trigger the sounds with an electronic kit would be the next best option. That's what I was referring to. I wouldn't even consider using real drums, so my mind went past that. :)

Back