"Summer Dream"

Nice sound on this, overall. Yeah, there is a frequency range on the picked acoustics that makes certain notes stand out more, I think some EQ in the right range would tame that better than compression.
I'm not getting the 'narrow' feel from it at all, in fact I'd move the rhythm acoustics in about 20% instead of hard panning.
I agree with Nola that the lead guitar part is just a little loud.
On the vocal - reduce the volume of the doubled track, this should help with any timing issues with it that were causing what sounded like a phase issue. Bump up the vocal with some air 10-12K a little bit, and lower that 220 bump back down, maybe scoop the guitars shallowly in the 300-400Hz range.

Thanks for the listen mjbphotos! Awesome suggestions, I'll try them all when I bring the song back up tomorrow. Was giving my ears a few days break from it.

Thanks again!

It sounds much better, Johnny. I still hear the phase thing on the vocal, but it does sound better now. It must simply be the doubling/picking up the room twice (what type of room is this done in?).

The lyric at 1:10 "for me" sounds slightly out of tune.

The guitar solo sounds like it's sitting much better now, but it's a hair louder than the vocal...I always try to get the solos to match the vocal level when they come in right after a vocal. At 2:46 when you sing "no one" there vocal sounds distorted. That could be the phase thing again but worth checking.

Overall it's an excellent job these are just notes I made throughout the listen.

Nice song. That high end picking on the acoustic could use a little smoothing out and a thumping kick would make me feel good. Always wanted to know how people handle critics. NO one knows better than the artist in the long run.

Here's the latest mix if anyone is interested. Tightened and cleaned up a few minor things- found a few frequencies and did a few small eq cuts, lowered the acoustic solo a tiny bit, not sure what to do next.

Any input would be appreciated.

Summer Dream | Johnny Amato

That sounds good. Not many nits to pick. If I were listening on headphones and loud, I might still find that acoustic guitar solo a little wince-inducing. Maybe a tad more bass? Anyway its really close.

Of all the songs i've listened too since i became a member you and ray taylor have written, played , sang and mixed the best . I just started using the Apex aural exciter on my mixes and they seem to come alive . I'd like to hear what your song sounds like with this effect on the stereo 2 track

Of all the songs i've listened too since i became a member you and ray taylor have written, played , sang and mixed the best . I just started using the Apex aural exciter on my mixes and they seem to come alive . I'd like to hear what your song sounds like with this effect on the stereo 2 track

Thanks sparky, means a lot. I still have a long way to go learning the art of mixing, but I'm studying it daily and getting a lot of hands-on experience with my dozens of songs to work with.

I've heard of the aural exciter, don't have it though and not sure exactly what it does.

That sounds good. Not many nits to pick. If I were listening on headphones and loud, I might still find that acoustic guitar solo a little wince-inducing. Maybe a tad more bass? Anyway its really close.

Thanks again for the input, Robus.

I know what you mean about the bass, it could come up a little, I just didn't want it to be too prominent since this is basically just an acoustic/vocal with a few bells and whistles. Songs like "Good Riddance" have no bass at all.

I've been struggling a little with exactly where to have that solo. I feel when I turn it down more it loses it's impact. Maybe I'll just drop it down 1 more db, or get in there and mess with the clip gain and turn down the offending notes...

Back