Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Suffering Of Aiden - alternative rock track

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Thanks Chris, much appreciated. I use Amplitube for all guitars and bass. I start with a couple stomps (compressor and flanger) and then into the SVT Pro amp. Bass and Treb at noon, compression up a quarter, gain all the way up, mids at about 10 o'clock. Then that goes into the Ampeg 8x10. Mics a good foot away from the cone, 414 and 57. Then, outside of Amplitube, I EQ some more low mids out and give a few various small cuts. Then I compress it a lot more; about 12 db GR with the DC1A compressor on "slow" setting. I may compress it again with another flavor-enhancing compressor, or I might use a limiter. I think I used a limiter on this one.

Thanks for asking and for the kind words.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisharris View Post
    Also, "Last One In The Room" is one of the most melodically hooky things I've heard from the "amateur" ranks in a long time.
    ha, thanks dude. I like that one. Think "Starlight" is my personal favorite. I focus on melody more than anything else, by far. I'm glad to hear comments on melody, that means a lot to me.

Thanks
    Been listening to this a lot. Really like this song. The melodic between the first "The sun breaks your love" and the 2nd verse (and again toward the end between the choruses) could be louder. It's quite catchy and should be a little more prominent (personal opinion)...
    Soundcloud Page
    I don't care about my ego, I care about my mixes--Just say what you mean.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BroKen_H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andrushkiwt View Post
    I focus on melody more than anything else, by far. I'm glad to hear comments on melody, that means a lot to me.
    I don't know why a songwriter would focus on anything else more than melody. Lyrics matter, the length of the song matters, dynamics matter, the mix matters a lot..it all matters, but if your melody isn't memorable, none of the other elements matter at all. If I'm honest, most things I hear in the clinic or on reddit that aren't commercial releases rarely get a 3rd listen from me.

I think your production is very good, and that definitely helps, but if you songs were like most of mine, decent mixes wouldn't save them, lol.

Thanks for the bass information. I'm going through kind of a minimalist phase right now - meaning only that I'm working on getting a sound out of my instruments and microphones and amps as close to what I want without having to use plugins, but bass guitar is definitely an exception.

Back in the old days, drums were a dead giveaway on home recordings. That's becoming a less obvious immediate "tell." To my ears, the differences now are more subtle, but they include sibilance on vocals and the depth/separation of bass. Many people have figured the bass thing out out using nothing more than a laptop and a direct bass. I haven't...yet

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisharris View Post
    I don't know why a songwriter would focus on anything else more than melody. Lyrics matter, the length of the song matters, dynamics matter, the mix matters a lot..it all matters, but if your melody isn't memorable, none of the other elements matter at all.

Many people have figured the bass thing out out using nothing more than a laptop and a direct bass. I haven't...yet
    Lyrics are practically an afterthought for me. Aside from wanting to use the name Aiden, everything else was jotted down minutes before singing. I had some vowel sounds worked out for the chorus, but no actual words. Don't forget that the quality of the amp sim is a big factor. They aren't all created equal. I'm working toward a better sound with Amplitube on each mix. Things like mic distance and input gain helped a bit, but there's no point if the sim is crap to begin with.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BroKen_H View Post
    Been listening to this a lot. Really like this song. The melodic between the first "The sun breaks your love" and the 2nd verse (and again toward the end between the choruses) could be louder. It's quite catchy and should be a little more prominent (personal opinion)...
    Yeah I noticed that too. I have the lead guitar playing it dead center (but with lots of effects and flangey things to spread it out) and then the background vocals are "do-do-do_'ing along with it, panned hard L&R. I agree it could be more prominent. Good ears

Thanks
    Sounds great-electric panned center first section? I think a slightly distorted sound is called for with the choruses so full and heavy but I think the guitar sound is a bit fizzy to use a meaningless word. Nice thick sound pre chorus--chorus-very smooth vocal, nice melody. Really sounds great-melody-arrangement keep it interesting all the way through to those nice sustaining guitars at the end. I only hope you aren't old and over the hill before you get to record with a great drummer! This would sound huger than huge with a great drummer playing. Enjoyed it.
    "Hey man, am I drivin ok?" "You're stopped man"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stratomaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratomaster View Post
    Sounds great-electric panned center first section? I think a slightly distorted sound is called for with the choruses so full and heavy but I think the guitar sound is a bit fizzy to use a meaningless word. Nice thick sound pre chorus--chorus-very smooth vocal, nice melody. Really sounds great-melody-arrangement keep it interesting all the way through to those nice sustaining guitars at the end. I only hope you aren't old and over the hill before you get to record with a great drummer! This would sound huger than huge with a great drummer playing. Enjoyed it.
    The verse guitars (as they're called in the session) are panned hard, but it's one take so it brings it in almost dead center. I use different cabs and mics, but both tracks have the Soldano amp. They are a tad fizzy, yes. A little notch down on the treble/presence would prob fix that. Ehh... mid 30's, so getting there. Recording live drums is NOT a challenge I'm putting myself up to. I'll try to master this thing for a couple more years.

Thanks
    I think it sounds great just like it is. It rocks man. I wouldn't change a thing. Killer vocal on this. I agree with Robus that the bass is loud during the verses and should stay that way.
    fantastic work!
    I was country before they took the O out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jimistone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimistone View Post
    I think it sounds great just like it is. It rocks man. I wouldn't change a thing. Killer vocal on this. I agree with Robus that the bass is loud during the verses and should stay that way.
    fantastic work!
    hey thanks for the listen and comment.

Thread Information