The Suffering Of Aiden - alternative rock track

Man... that is ... such a modern alt rock title.

I think the level of distortion on the guitars is pretty good where it is.

I wonder if the rhythms could come up a tick? Especially during the stops in the bridge, I feel like they could have more power.

Click on "on" at 0:38

What's that noise that happens at 3:15 on "the"? It sounds like a weird edit on the vocals or snare clip maybe?

Overall, really good work as always tho.

This, as others have already said, Sounds Great !! Reminds me somewhat of Chevelle
I feel intro guitar is a tad fizzy. The rest is top notch. Writing, performance and production, Check !
Really like the drum sound. Fit right in on the radio today. At least I think it would but I haven't listened to the radio in almost 2 years so wtf do I know,
Excellent work .........

Sorry I'm late to this. I thought the gain level on the guitar in the intro was perfect. The doubled guitars that kick in later - yeah I'd have lowered the gain a smidge. But they still sound good.

I like the bass sound.

No complaints on the drums. They all sound good. What do you do for drums? Fake? They sound good.

My only minor complaint is on the vocal. It's well sung and still sounds pretty nice. It's just a bit on the thin side. Could use a little more in the 200-300 range.

All in all it sounds great tho.

Man... that is ... such a modern alt rock title.

What's that noise that happens at 3:15 on "the"? It sounds like a weird edit on the vocals or snare clip maybe?

Lol, right?! Eh, I just went with the main line. I was humming "something, something Aiiiiiden" for a few days and that's just what came out when I sat to write. I agree with you. haha

Not sure how I missed the pop at 0:38, wow. Good catch.

At 3:15? That just sounds like the hard panned R floor tom hitting a split second after the snare. yeah? Unless it's something else you're hearing.

Thanks for the listen and comment Steve!

Reminds me somewhat of Chevelle

...but I haven't listened to the radio in almost 2 years so wtf do I know

I felt somewhat physically ill when I read that. :p

And me either. Actually, the gf teases me when I continually sing Home on the Range and google the factbook on it. That and Oh Susana. I guess I have a thing for old western folk tunes. Prob not an influence artistically though....yet, at least.

I felt somewhat physically ill when I read that. :p

And me either. Actually, the gf teases me when I continually sing Home on the Range and google the factbook on it. That and Oh Susana. I guess I have a thing for old western folk tunes. Prob not an influence artistically though....yet, at least.

lol ..........wasn't trying offend or make you nauseous. I might should have said, the vocal harmony reminded me of Chevelle. I don't know if that wording provides any soothing relief, maybe Pepto Bismol ? But seriously great song, performance and production !!

How about At Home On Susana ? The New Western Hip Hop

or this

https://youtu.be/nn8YubD01sk?t=58s

What do you do for drums? Fake? They sound good.

My only minor complaint is on the vocal. It's well sung and still sounds pretty nice. It's just a bit on the thin side.

Yeah, Superior Drummer with the Rock Warehouse (mostly) kit. Thanks! And yeah the last mic (at4040) was rather low-mid-rangey and this one is def brighter and crisper, but less lows.

Great job, great song. Sucks you write the lyrics minutes before tracking vocals. I hate you!! :mad: :D
Takes me forever to come up with words.

One thing I felt could use some improvement, would be the vocal during the verses. To me, don't know about anyone else, to me, they don't seem to quite sit in the mix. I'm not sure I can nail down why. During the choruses, no problem. They are right where they need to be and sound fantastic.

I have the HD280s also, and I do find a difference in vocal placement when listening on them vs my monitors. So like, I'll track my vocal while wearing the HD280s, then I'll start to mix right away. I get lazy, don't take them off, mix up for a while with the cans. Eventually, I switch over to monitors and I find my vocals way out front. Weird, and I can't figure out why that happens. I don't know if that's what going on here, but it might add to the cans vs monitors debate. :p

Thanks for sharing.

I have the HD280s also, and I do find a difference in vocal placement when listening on them vs my monitors. So like, I'll track my vocal while wearing the HD280s, then I'll start to mix right away. I get lazy, don't take them off, mix up for a while with the cans. Eventually, I switch over to monitors and I find my vocals way out front. Weird, and I can't figure out why that happens. I don't know if that's what going on here, but it might add to the cans vs monitors debate.

It's the crossbleed. Headphones don't have any. Things panned center tend to sound louder in speakers because both ears receive the sound from both speakers. In headphones the left and right are completely isolated, so center panned things can't get to both ears.

Sounds great man.

I think the snare is initially a bit low in the mix. In the chorus it's fine.

Love the vocal sounds and performance. Nicely done. Especially on the chorus.

Lots of nice details in this. About halfway through - before you break into the second chorus - there is a snare build up in the background. It is an interesting thing to add but it's barely there. I think it fits but it kinda seems like you didn't fully commit to having it out there and kinda left it back.

Hey, IBB! If you know of a drummer somewhere, I don't know - nudge, nudge, wink, wink - that could do this track justice, I think real drums would be just the cue...course, I should probably let Taras ask, since it's his song.

I thought the song was ok. The distortion on the guitar fit the style your trying to achieve. When it gets hard I like how you didn't go for an all out distorted guitar rythmn track. I can still hear the notes of the chord not a wall of noise.

The bass and drums are good. I might suggest a compressor on the vocals to smooth it out unless that was what you intended. LA2 plugin possibly.

It's the crossbleed. Headphones don't have any. Things panned center tend to sound louder in speakers because both ears receive the sound from both speakers. In headphones the left and right are completely isolated, so center panned things can't get to both ears.

I do throw a stereo chorus in there; it runs the entire song. I copy and paste the lead vocal and set up a new track with chorus. Delay about 6ms, depth 90%, full spread, hz all the way down. It's really low in volume, but it's noticeable when I mute the track. The vocal drops into dead C. With this, it's spread out a bit and seems to sit better to my ears.

I do agree 100% with you though.

Great job, great song. Sucks you write the lyrics minutes before tracking vocals. I hate you!! :mad: :D
Takes me forever to come up with words.

Honestly, I don't know if it's a good thing or bad. I'm just too impatient. I mean, no one has told me my lyrics have touched them deeply, lol. I use words more for their connotations than literal meanings. "Suffering" sounded, to me, like what the song was saying, the music alone. And the melody I constructed, before any words, confirmed that. So, I went with it.

Freud would have a field day with my lyrics since it's basically free association. :D

The bass and drums are good. I might suggest a compressor on the vocals to smooth it out unless that was what you intended. LA2 plugin possibly.

Good to know my programmed drums are ok with most ppl. I must be making some improvements there. Very cool. I have lots of ppl here to thank for that.

And yes, I will take the LA2 plugin you are offering to buy me. :D

Sorry if I am late to the critique. Is there a newer version?

To the first post I must say that you have nailed most everything that the tune needs. Well done man!

I do feel the solo vocal at intro comes across as weak in the mix. The same at the second verse. There is something missing to make that in front like it should be. Thinking Chevelle style here.. I just feel those parts need to be more prominent. Not meaning louder, just more you, Usually a precisely doubled vocal does the trick. Just my take.

Overall though, two horns up man! \m/

And on further listen, a bit much on the master limiting IMO. But ya know....

Last edited:
I haven't read any of the other comments, so I apologize if I'm repeating anything. The mix sounds mostly there to me. The kick is a bit loud. It sounds in front of the vocal due to how much thump it has. At times the artifacts/processing (e.g. the midpoint of the song before the guitar breakdown) on the vocal is audible.

Otherwise I don't hear any issues. Good job, Andru. The song is catchy.

Back