Suddenly He Turned

I thought that piano in the intro sounded good. That lead guitar note (at about :20) in the intro is a bit harsh on the ears. The piano gets kind of covered up when the song kicks in.

Drums were OK to me except the kick. It's really flappy. It needs to have some low midrange removed. Also thought the drum part was a little too busy. There is a lot going on in this song and a busy drum part is kind of an aural overflow.

If it were me, I'd take all the reverb/delay stuff off of the lead vocal for now. It's really making things soupy. The lead vocal, rhythm guitars, trumpets, etc. just get mushed together.

The distorted rhythm guitar on the right sounds decent. Next time try it with a little less gain. It should give it a little more definition.

There is a lead guitar part near the end. I really thought that was well played and the tone was cool.

I wasn't a fan of the "Viking battle trumpets" at the beginning and ending. Just my opinion.

The shofar at the end works better than at the beginning, I think the bass thing going on at the beginning screws it up.

Thanks Trip. I'll give a look at the bass drum and try to pull some of the harsh out of the lead guitar...by the way, that's midi. Can't really play that at speed.
Really great idea on the reverb. I can dry out the vocal during the parts where the trumpets kick in and see how that sounds. Experimentation is fun!
They're actually Jewish ram's horn blasts. They're called shofar and each different sound has a meaning and a different name...Anyway, It sounds a lot better with those than the synth brass. Looking for the battle trumpet/drum beginning and end...

Mike. Appreciate your input as always :). I agree. The shofar are in F# and the song's in B minor. I need to rewrite the intro to go from F# and charge the song for a B minor. The end does work with the trumpets leading out to the shofar, but it's still a bit off because of the abrupt key change...May be working with synth/guitar after all :(

Back