Sudan Village

MusicalSound

Taped this the other night. Testing out the equipment. 1978 Teac M15 board, 1978 Teac 80-8, early '70s Scotch 203 1/2" tape with Dx-8 noise reduction on each of the eight channels.

The bass is a 60s violin bass into the board, acoustic is 1960s Goya T-16. Mic is always vintage '70s Shure 545L, even on the vocals. The tape echo is my 1976 Univox EC-80 tape echo at the effects loop on the console. By the way, this is a garbled version of the earl '70s Seals and Crofts song "Sudan Village". always been a groovy little song.

Attachments

• SudanVillage.mp3
    5.3 MB · Views: 11
Yeah man. Totally sounds like the 70s. The music sounds good, the vocals just sound off to the left out in the distance. Not sure I like that.

I clicked this thinking it would be funny if this were some kind of play on Frank Zappa's "Village of the Sun"....a song I like a lot.

This is an interesting tune. I really like the bass tone on that. Reminds me a lot of McCarntey's punchy tone with the Hofner....only more pronounced.

I thought it sounded pretty good.

I thought the bass was too loud. It sounded just a bit too boomy as well. I like the general tone on it. But it was a bit clean. I'd bet I'd prefer it if it was amp'd. It was a cool bass part.

Tons of reverb on the vocals. The delay on the right side is kind of weird. Makes them difficult to hear, even if I did understand the language.

I thought the acoustic guitar sounded great.

Drums sounded pretty good. I liked the snare sound. If there's a kick, it's getting clobbered by the bass.

I really don't ever know what to say about your songs, I'll be honest.

You're going for that weird 60s/70s stuff where I always got the feeling that everything goes anyhow.
I like it, it sounds authentic, it sounds tight and interesting.

I didn't like the hard panned vocal.

The percussion (congas, whatever they are) are really low in the mix - right from the start. The bass has a nice sound, but I'd put a little saturation/amp gain on it.

The echo-ed vocals are a little overboard (my taste), I'd probably want them to just kick on at the end of each phrase/line, rather than all the time.

foul phil, I agree that it does sound 70s. If I try to record this to my Reaper the sound just isn't the same.

stugort, I do like that zappa song by the way, roxy and elsewhere??

triple m, I have the same feeling for the bass. Direct is lousier than mic'd I've noticed. I've heard the best (Queen in 1975) would mic the bass and run direct out of the amp at the same time. Between my 1973 YBA-1 Traynor and 1978 Music Man sixty five reverb I can't find a line-out on them for the life of me??

shwarz I am confused about what you say but I'm sure I can learn a thing or two

MJphotos- I agree, the vocals are lost, I dunno why that happen. I'll definitely work to bring it in more

stugort, I do like that zappa song by the way, roxy and elsewhere??

Ya...great album. That, and "Cheepnis" were my favorite tunes on it. I used to live in Chino, CA and often visited G Street Music in Ontario. The old man that owned it said Zappa would come in there when he was kid. He said he knew him pretty well. I drove out to Sun Village a few times...just because of the song I guess. There isn't much out there. There were certainly a lot of turkey farms. :)

What I mean is that the kind of music you do reminds me of a lot of experimental bands where using odd things like a hard panned vocal or having an entire drum track played in reverse were part of the sound.

Either way, your stuff is cool and I enjoy it.

Back