sub par bedroom recording

Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah!!! You suck!!!!

There,... feel better?? :eek:

There's nothing particularly wrong with this recording, 'cept it's like the fodder of children's TV theme songs. First thing that came to mind was "Teen Titans". YMMV. :eek:

It's a bit wall-of-sound-ish, but otherwise not bad.

... Welcome to Kids' Korner on ABC, afternoons at 3pm!! We'll be right back, after these messages!!!;)

well I am a homo and it is from my upcoming album "anything is possible if you just hope for rainbows; unicorn."

Dood,...

I never said "homo". :eek:

I alluded to, but never said,... "commercial".

The recording was actually pretty good, and I think you could sell a lot of candy bars with that clip,... eh,... jingle,... er,... whatever y'call'it.

I know man I was just joking. I usually get that reaction from my horrible cringe inducing pop music. I'm trying to write dark depressing music, but I just can't. Hopefully my deep(er than most) voice can save it.

not bad. well played. the panning and volume on the cymbals/hat was a little distracting. other than that, nice work.

People always point out the cymbals and hat to me. Maybe you guys can help. When I am mixing, I feel I need to pan the overheads until they sound like they are in 'focus' if you know what I mean. So they sound like they do when you're right behind or in front of them. I also like to pan the other drums according to how they are in the stereo image of the overheads. If I don't they sound like they are all over the place and out of phase or something.

The Seifer said:
People always point out the cymbals and hat to me. Maybe you guys can help. When I am mixing, I feel I need to pan the overheads until they sound like they are in 'focus' if you know what I mean. So they sound like they do when you're right behind or in front of them. I also like to pan the other drums according to how they are in the stereo image of the overheads. If I don't they sound like they are all over the place and out of phase or something.

To me, some of your cymbal crashes sound distant and "washed-out." The open hat sound is too loud (louder than any of the other cymbals) and just kind of jumps out at you. In my opinion, drum panning should be more subtle than you think. I don't like to hard pan any drums/cymbals. Give each its own place, but tighter. Think of someone standing 10 ft back from your kit. The stereo spread of the drums would be less obvious at a distance.

What gives with the million and one panned every-which-way cymbals?

This isn't a total abortion. I've heard a lot worse.

Keep at it, things can only get better.

Focus on mixing techniques, eq and compression.

There were six cymbals (I think) and the overheads had to be spaced far enough to capture all of them. When I mixed it I panned them apart so they sounded as far apart as they actually were. Does this make any sense? Panning them closer sort of smashed them together and made it sound like some cymbals were right on top of each other.

what kind of guitar amp did you use?... for some reason it sounds like a Vox AC30 to me... I could be wrong. Oh, and the drumming is pretty damn solid. Really like the fills. Could go without cymbal crashes every two beats though.

The amp is a "West Avalon." The drums are random kit pieces of shit thrown together. Some are made out of fiberglass. Everything was miced with a sure beta 57a through an audio buddy except the drums. The drums were miced with a bunch of mics and pres at my friends because I don't have any. Mixed in the box in Sonar 3 with the Sonitus plugins. Sent back to my friend for some half-asstering. I think he used waves.

Like the recording. Real professional sound. The drums stuck out straight away for me as being a bit odd sounding. The kik drum especially. Im thinking it is probably the source itself rather than an eq mixing problem. Snare is a bit hidden kinda. Again could be a source problem or bad eqing.

I think I've narrowed it down to being a source problem. I only used very minor amounts of eq (never more than 4dB). I only used subtractive eq techniques on the guitars, and I only made narrow boosts on the drums to enhance the thwakyness of the hits. I guess I'm trying to just work with what I've got (crap) and not try to "fix" anything.

Back