A Strange Halloween Project

propman

I took it upon myself to re-score(?) and re-edit the pivotal scene from the 1974 film Madhouse (staring Vincent Price).
It was a bizarre thing to want to do, I suppose but I'm very pleased with the results. What say y'all?

Hey Propman, that really is a pretty bizarre thing to have wanted to have done, what exactly was your motivation?

I guess the music had a creepy and ambiguous vibe to it, but i couldn't help but think it had a sort of 'blue movie' feel to it too. I guess i have done a few things almost as strange - like creating a musical backing track for a Michael Tsarion monologue, but i don't think i ever really shared that with anyone. Seemingly pointless exercises often present an opportunity for technical skill building and practice, and to me music doesn't always have to be in the form of a song to create an impact and have meaning, so i guess i can see where you are coming from.

Anything involving Vincent Price or Schlock horror will always grab my attention, so you got me with that regardless :)

Hey Propman, that really is a pretty bizarre thing to have wanted to have done, what exactly was your motivation?

I guess the music had a creepy and ambiguous vibe to it, but i couldn't help but think it had a sort of 'blue movie' feel to it too. I guess i have done a few things almost as strange - like creating a musical backing track for a Michael Tsarion monologue, but i don't think i ever really shared that with anyone. Seemingly pointless exercises often present an opportunity for technical skill building and practice, and to me music doesn't always have to be in the form of a song to create an impact and have meaning, so i guess i can see where you are coming from.

Anything involving Vincent Price or Schlock horror will always grab my attention, so you got me with that regardless :)

Well ... originally, I just wanted to have a song that sampled Vincent's speech from the film. Then, when I played in in sync with the video, I thought it captured a really unique vibe and somehow lent a new meaning to the sweeping camera work. It seemed to tell a different story. So, really, there was no motivation. I just tried something, liked it and wanted to see what other people thought. Thanks for watching! Perhaps you'll dust off the Tsarion monologue and let me have a peek. Hmm?

Perhaps you'll dust off the Tsarion monologue and let me have a peek. Hmm?

Sure man fair's fair i guess, you showed yours so i should show mine. I warn you it's bad, sort of a boring chill trip hop thing with swirly synths and mtsar droning away about magic beneath it. The music was just atmospherics and pretty light on really. Like you I wasn't motivated by anything much, other than maybe bad intentions in my case, and i thought it set his words in a less heavy context. I soon dropped the whole idea as whimsical waste of time and never put any real thought into it. I wasn't questioning your motivations either, just wondered, and i should have known the answer you gave would be along those lines.

Aside from that i've heard mtsar has publicly threatened to beat on some of his 'detractors' in the past, and is not afraid of issuing a cease and desist order. Also some of his theories about astrotheology are actually quite well reasoned and pretty fascinating, so me making fun of it was just a bit crass. But i'll throw it up on soundcloud or something send send you a link if you really, really want to hear it. Caveat Auditor :)

Sure man fair's fair i guess, you showed yours so i should show mine. I warn you it's bad, sort of a boring chill trip hop thing with swirly synths and mtsar droning away about magic beneath it. The music was just atmospherics and pretty light on really. Like you I wasn't motivated by anything much, other than maybe bad intentions in my case, and i thought it set his words in a less heavy context. I soon dropped the whole idea as whimsical waste of time and never put any real thought into it. I wasn't questioning your motivations either, just wondered, and i should have known the answer you gave would be along those lines.

Aside from that i've heard mtsar has publicly threatened to beat on some of his 'detractors' in the past, and is not afraid of issuing a cease and desist order. Also some of his theories about astrotheology are actually quite well reasoned and pretty fascinating, so me making fun of it was just a bit crass. But i'll throw it up on soundcloud or something send send you a link if you really, really want to hear it. Caveat Auditor :)

Yeah, I do. Send away!

This shows once again that the mood of a scene is 99% music.

Really cool.
The music should have been quieter. I understand that it's what you're trying to show off but it makes the monologue hard to understand.

edit: ya flubbed a note at 1:08

This shows once again that the mood of a scene is 99% music.

Really cool.
The music should have been quieter. I understand that it's what you're trying to show off but it makes the monologue hard to understand.

edit: ya flubbed a note at 1:08

Thank you very much! Yeah, I agree. I'll try to take the music down in a couple of days.
1:18 ... Woops!

Back