Stoned at a campfire

I like where this is going. Bass tone is a bit anemic. Volume is good, though. Acoustic needs just a little leveling, and yeah, heard a couple flubs...nothing my guitar playing could fix. :laughings:
Are there words or is this destined to remain instrumental. Sounds very nice as is. :)

That's just my old shit bass with 10 year old strings!

I'll retrack it when I get time to sort the mistakes out.

Yeah, it does have words, there's a complete version with much more instrumentation already done, this is the stripped down version we played live. Wanted to record it so not to forget it. There's no recording of this version

Don't tune when stoned ... It might be the acoustic's intonation, some of the bass notes are a little off. Electric guitar has just a touch of high end harshness on a few notes, either some gentle EQ or volume automation would take care of it.

Pretty song, I really like the way you grew it, nicely arranged. I can hear lyrics and melody in my head.

Agree with Mike, I like the guitar sound, but it needs just a tiny fix to sit better. Drums sit nicely, too. Nice return at the end.

Well done, wish I could play half as well!

Timbo

Don't tune when stoned ... It might be the acoustic's intonation, some of the bass notes are a little off. Electric guitar has just a touch of high end harshness on a few notes, either some gentle EQ or volume automation would take care of it.

I've noticed the guitar isn't quite right. I actually think it's the capo putting slightly too much pressure on the bass end. I'll tweak the high end on the guitar, it's already got a touch of compression on it, the harshness is probably coz I had quite a high feedback setting on the delay.

uncharacteristically JDOD with the acoustic in the beginning. and then the major root when drums kick in.

i thought the acoustic sounded good. i'm not hearing tuning issues on the electrics, just slightly on the acoustic. it could probably come down a bit. this is a live kit, yes? why don't you post vox ever? i'm not sure i've heard tunes with a vocal from you before.

there are some spikes in the electric guitar harsh notes that jump out.

I have posted a couple of vocal things. I'm a fairly shit singer though and rarely put the effort into getting stuff that I'm happy with.

uncharacteristically JDOD with the acoustic in the beginning. and then the major root when drums kick in.

i thought the acoustic sounded good. i'm not hearing tuning issues on the electrics, just slightly on the acoustic. it could probably come down a bit. this is a live kit, yes? why don't you post vox ever? i'm not sure i've heard tunes with a vocal from you before.

there are some spikes in the electric guitar harsh notes that jump out.
I think I might try turning my capo around to see if that evens out better... Or just be sensible and tune with the capo on.

This is promising. I can hear a vocal melody in there. As noted, the acoustic guitar is out of tune. A capo will do that if you don't tune with it on. I didn't hear tuning issues on the electrics. I've never noticed timing problems in your stuff before, but I'm hearing some in this tune. In places, the bass and electric guitars aren't quite tight with the drums. I'd sort that out first thing so that you have a solid rhythmic foundation.

Yeah, aside from a couple of chops in the bass line they were all single takes so none of them are played perfectly yet. Never recorded much acoustic guitar before though, turned out alright.

it sounds good.
there's something brittle/harsh going on, and that's the only thing from a mix perspective that bothers me. i agree with others the tuning is a bit sharp on the acoustic and the rhythm isn't completely locked in, but those make it sound "human" to me and don't bother me as much as the brittleness.

i think it needs vocals. it sounds okay as is, but to me an instrumental should have big buildups and massive dynamic shifts. it seems like the 2:30 mark is an attempt at a big dynamic, but imo it needs more.

Last edited:
I think I might try turning my capo around to see if that evens out better... Or just be sensible and tune with the capo on.

What kind of capo are you using? The spring-loaded kind (like Kysers) have that 'pressing too hard' issue. Since I use a capo a lot when playing live, I got a G7th Performance 2 - no spring, you use finger pressure to close it only as tight as needed. Completely removed the retuning/intonation issues I had with a Kyser.

Nice playing.
The tuning issue wasn't an issue for me but I am cloth eared.
I did find the delay on the electric made a few notes seem misplaced but listening closer showed it was the delayed note.
Lovely progression and dynamics JDOD.

It's just a cheap springy capo. I'll probably play this through again at some point but just tune with the capo on. I don't normally play with a capo at all so I'm not interested in buying a good one.

Cheers ray.

I'll express some slight dissent on the acoustic guitar tone. It's a bit too bright for my ear. Like too much stuff in the 3K - 5K range. And then not enough stuff in the low midrange like 300hz - 600hz.

10 year old strings!? They came with the bass didn't they lol

The acoustic is nice on its own but when you put it in with the other instruments it sounds kind of dry and one-dimensional. Wonder what a little panned delay might do or something like that.

Really dig the aesthetic, even with the drum in there it sounds cool and loose. Didn't notice a tuning issue myself, just maybe the acoustic could use a little more body and the bass maybe I would try a little more mid/treble.

I like it. Nice arrangement. Nice balance of acoustic and electric. They play off each other quite nicely. The bass does sound a little dull. Maybe that's not a terrible thing here as it's not the star. I think the electric guitar tones are the strength here. Mix the others around it.

10 year old strings!? They came with the bass didn't they lol

The acoustic is nice on its own but when you put it in with the other instruments it sounds kind of dry and one-dimensional. Wonder what a little panned delay might do or something like that.

Really dig the aesthetic, even with the drum in there it sounds cool and loose. Didn't notice a tuning issue myself, just maybe the acoustic could use a little more body and the bass maybe I would try a little more mid/treble.

LOL, of course they did! I'm not wasting money on bass strings! (I actually will at some point - I've never re-strung a bass.

It does have a cool laid back feel - the album version has quite a lot of instrumentation, pianos on there, a bit of strings, no guitar fingerpicking etc. You know the sort of thing - a proper ballad type thing. We were just about to start rehresing it and the singer suggested finger picking and stripping it down a bit. The lead bits just came out of my guitar there and then and we never tried doing the album version. Live we did it just me, her a double bass and a cajon.

Don't care for the drum "tone" as I find it too snappy and bright (especially the kick). Yeah I heard the out of tune thing right off but it sort of melted in there quickly.
Love the acoustic finger picking. Leads flow nicely around same. Doesn't need vocals to stand on it's own. I hear Hotel California chords in there in spots :D:D:D:D

Back