"Still Got Me" Now with vocals

Thanks Mike, I was wondering about the overall kit volume. It could maybe come up a db or two, but when I try it they seem a little too up front, I kind of like them just driving the beat in this from the back. I might feel different tomorrow, you know how it is...

Have you tried adding just a little more reverb on the kit to push it back a bit?

Have you tried adding just a little more reverb on the kit to push it back a bit?

Well there's already a decent amount of plate reverb on it, 'cept for the kick and the room mics, hardly any pre-delay either. Don't really want to mess with it for fear of ruining what I got. I might bring the snare top up 1db though.

Used a different plate for the vocals and harmonies, only a little reverb on the lead, more on the harmonies.

Almost a "Barenaked Ladies" feel, upbeat.

I can hear that.

I remember when Johnny first got here and asked if we thought he could sing, as he was unsure of his voice. lol. you're funny dude. Good song and mix. nice and full, wide, balanced. Good touch on the background vocals, but they could maybe use a slight boost in the chorus. Have you ever taken a photo of your studio/mix space? Can't recall if you have one up in the "show we your studio" thread.

I can hear that.

I remember when Johnny first got here and asked if we thought he could sing, as he was unsure of his voice. lol. you're funny dude. Good song and mix. nice and full, wide, balanced. Good touch on the background vocals, but they could maybe use a slight boost in the chorus. Have you ever taken a photo of your studio/mix space? Can't recall if you have one up in the "show we your studio" thread.

Hey Andru, thanks for the input.

I forget if I ever posted anything in the "Show us your studio" thread or not, but I change things around a lot anyways. I'll try to get a current one up there soon.

I think you've done a good job on this song mix wise. The arrangement's pretty good for this style, which is about as far away as anything I would normally listen to. :D I am going pick on something though and I hope I don't offend, but I think the tone of the lead instrument needs work. The playing's fine, the general style of tone is right for the song, but the actual guitar sound is unconvincing, to my ear. I may be way off base, but it doesn't sound real, if you get my meaning. I find it very, very sim-like, especially for a part that has such a prominent role in the mix. How did you go about recording it?

EDIT: Going back through the comments I realise now that the lead line is played on an acoustic. I'm wondering if the action is too low and the strings are choking out a little? I'm thinking I'd prefer to hear it on a Strat. :D

I think you've done a good job on this song mix wise. The arrangement's pretty good for this style, which is about as far away as anything I would normally listen to. :D I am going pick on something though and I hope I don't offend, but I think the tone of the lead instrument needs work. The playing's fine, the general style of tone is right for the song, but the actual guitar sound is unconvincing, to my ear. I may be way off base, but it doesn't sound real, if you get my meaning. I find it very, very sim-like, especially for a part that has such a prominent role in the mix. How did you go about recording it?

EDIT: Going back through the comments I realise now that the lead line is played on an acoustic. I'm wondering if the action is too low and the strings are choking out a little? I'm thinking I'd prefer to hear it on a Strat. :D

Thanks a lot for the input, Bubba, much appreciated. I'm still getting used to mixing my own voice, this is only the second song/time I've done it, so good to hear nothing stuck out. This isn't necessarily my kind of music either, but it's just what came out of me one day...

My initial goal was to keep the song all acoustic, which is why I did that lead line with the Ovation, the same guitar I used for the left rhythm, the right side is a Taylor 355 12-String (didn't have my new Taylor816ce yet) Ovations have a unique sound, and I thought it fit well, but yea, it probably could be better. It's funny, 'cuz that lead line just sounds like single notes, when it actually is a somewhat busy picking pattern, but in the mix only the lead/main melody really notes stick out. I could probably mess around a little with EQ to try and make it more "stratty" sounding, like thin it out and maybe mess with the SansAmp, but we'll see.

Thanks again for the input!

Sorry to hear about your injury.
This is a really good song. Everything sounds great and I really can't find anything to complain about.
Nice work Johnny!

New mix with a few subtle changes. A few people mentioned the snare was a little buried, so I tweaked it a little bit, used Waves Parallel Particles. Not sure if I like it more or not. I does poke through a little more, but I can easily put it back to the way it was before if I end up not liking it.

Also changed one of the compressors on my vocal, seemed a little smoother.

Still Got Me | Johnny Amato

Back