"Still Got Me"

JohnnyAmato

Tune I recorded 2 months ago, still needs vocals. They're already written, I'm still in the process of putting together my vocal "area" (got moving blankets, spit screen, etc) Finishing set-up and starting vocals on like 10 different songs next week, so I'm exited about that finally.

Want to see how this mix here is coming together, got a whole bunch of new plug-ins a few months ago (eq's, compressors, reverbs, tape emulators, mix-bus processors, etc) so I've been learning a lot and going crazy mixing/re-mixing about 25 songs at once, a few each day. Obviously once the vocals are down everything changes, but still looking for some feedback on how the instruments are coming together on this one. Not sure if the low-end is sitting right (bass and kick). At times it seems rumbly, but when I take more low-end away it seems to lose something. Could just be my ears too, any feedback would be great.

Simple layout-
Left is an Ovation Custom Legend
Right is a Taylor 355 12-string
Leads and fills all done with the Ovation
Bass and some light keys.

Thought about re-doing the left Ovation track with the new Taylor 816 I recently bought, but the sound of the Ovation seems to fit the song better, so I didn't bother.

Still Got Me | Johnny Amato

It's kind of an abrupt start.

Solid musicianship. As always.

I'm assuming these are bed tracks for a vocal? I could see a vocal covering the rhythm guitar. Can't tell for sure until a vocal is there. But it's something to watch out for.

Love the bass sound. The lead/riff guitar sounds nice.

This is kind of a general-nice-and-pretty sound. I like your edgier stuff better.

Thanks for the listen, Mack! That's one vote for a quiet kick. Now I just need to figure out if it needs more attack or more thump (or both)

Thanks 3M. Yea it is kind of an abrupt start, just came out that way when I couldn't really think of some sort of intro, so I just left it as is. And you're right, it is a general-nice-and-pretty kind of song, kind of cheesy, but when I wrote the strum and the riffs I figured what the heck and recorded it. Kind of has a cheesy Taylor Swift-ish kind of vibe. Hopefully when I do the vocals it won't be as cheesy :) I'll also keep that in mind not to bury the rhythm acoustics when I mix the vocal.

The bass is just my usual '06 USA P-Bass going through my Digitech board which has some bass amp sims in it (forget which one I used though) It's hi-passed somewhere around 50hz I think, has a Slate Virtual Tape Machine on it, and compressed with the Waves CLA-2A, which I'm falling in love with.

Thanks again for the listen.

The mix sounds really good (listened through Audio Technica ATH-M50x's). Snare might be a smidge boxy. And the bass could go down a tad, IMHO. Please post a version once you add the vocals. I really like the lyrics.

Back