Stephanie: All Advice Appreciated!

Snail

Hey folks,

I am looking for feedback on this song. In particular this is my first time mixing live drums, but suggestions and feedback on any aspect are welcome.

The drums were sent to me by a friend who recorded them in his home studio -- very nice set-up and great sound. The rest was recorded in my project studio.

I did this all ITB for now (used hardware for tracking) but will eventually run stuff to my outboard gear for EQ and compression.

Attachments

• Stephanie_6Jan14_Full Mix.mp3
    5.5 MB · Views: 14
Sounds pretty good to me. Mix is nice and clear, everything in it's own space.

I like the song and the mix so I can't really add anything else. I'm sure others will. :thumbs up:

Definitely need to gate the vocal track or edit it. Breath sounds are almost as loud if not louder than the vocals. That's an artifact from compressing it hard. Not a bad thing in itself, the hard compression, but when you do, you need to clean it up. Also need to watch the hard consonants; K's and G's. A problem I have myself.

Acoustic guitar in the intro wasn't believable. Sounded like it came off the pickup rather than being mic'd.

All in all, a good song. I like the tone of the lead guitar.

Thanks for sharing.

Good catch there on the vocals. You know, I hadn't even noticed that, but when you pointed it out, it was pretty glaring to me. I put in some automation to take care of the breaths and bring their level down significantly.

The acoustic guitar was mic'd but I may have over-processed it, since I wanted it to sound full and lush. Could you be more specific about how it sounds artificial? Is it something you think I could fix with EQ?

Thanks very much for the help! :thumbs up:

Back