Steen's back, baby!

Hi,
Thanks for the open and honest criticism.
First - which song did you listen to? I'm kinda hoping it was 'money tree'
Sex Cells by Money Tree, the song that came up when I clicked the link in the first post.

I'm glad you made the points you did, either way.
The 350-500z thing is good to hear because it is a problem with my environment and I've a history of over-scooping that area and ending up with very thin mixes.
It's something I struggle with, so knowing I've got a bit of room to work is good.

Sounding mono and largely uneventful, musically, is intentional I suppose, although I wouldn't have put it like that.
This guy is guitar+vocal only so while I'm providing the whole mix I'm trying hard to keep out of his way for the most part.
Basically just provide a pleasant bed for him to sing over. If it's coming across like I've gone too far, though, it's good to know.

The rest of the elements you added around the core guitar and vocals are very well done. The arrangement, the structure and the presentation of the overall package from a songwriting and performance perspective is top notch, really. There is no question that the song itself and the vocals shine through here, so you definitely accomplished what you set out to do.

I don't know that I would say that it is coming across as having gone to far. I don't think so, no, but it is an interesting proposition to ponder. From what I hear, you went to a lot of effort to build out a very nice canvas for him indeed, but then, perhaps equally, you put effort into keeping that production out of his way. Perhaps where my (highly subjective) 'mixing intuition' wants to go as I am listening is to a place where the full production is embraced more as if this was a full 4 or 5 piece band performing, moving and breathing with a presentation that accentuates the hills and valleys, restraint and release and intimacy and intensity of the song. Right now, a listen through is somewhat static in this regard, but I am not contending that this is negative at all, it is just what is presented.

Different strokes, completely and utterly subjective, but hopefully fun to discuss nonetheless.

Sex Cells by Money Tree, the song that came up when I clicked the link in the first post.

Ok, the main thing to take away from this thread is that people clearly don't understand my audio player.
There are two tracks. One is called sex cells and the other is called money tree.

I'm going to number them now. <sigh> lol.

The rest of the elements you added around the core guitar and vocals are very well done. The arrangement, the structure and the presentation of the overall package from a songwriting and performance perspective is top notch, really. There is no question that the song itself and the vocals shine through here, so you definitely accomplished what you set out to do.

I don't know that I would say that it is coming across as having gone to far. I don't think so, no, but it is an interesting proposition to ponder. From what I hear, you went to a lot of effort to build out a very nice canvas for him indeed, but then, perhaps equally, you put effort into keeping that production out of his way. Perhaps where my (highly subjective) 'mixing intuition' wants to go as I am listening is to a place where the full production is embraced more as if this was a full 4 or 5 piece band performing, moving and breathing with a presentation that accentuates the hills and valleys, restraint and release and intimacy and intensity of the song. Right now, a listen through is somewhat static in this regard, but I am not contending that this is negative at all, it is just what is presented.

Different strokes, completely and utterly subjective, but hopefully fun to discuss nonetheless.

Yeah, everything you've said here is accurate.
I mean, I do want to keep out of his way and keep the thing as a pretty simple backdrop, but not so much that the average listener questions it.

I want average Joe to listen and think "oh, that's nice", and if they listen any deeper it should be to the singer and what he's saying, but if anyone does think I've gone too far it'd be good to know, 'cos we're doing 8 more tracks. :)

I happened to be referencing some mixes last night and found my own to be dull sounding so I've brightened both tracks up quite a bit.

It's strange. When I'm working at them I think they're far too bright yet they still sound a little duller than things I'm comparing to.

Anyway - Interested to hear what anyone thinks.

Back