Steenamaroo - Pop/rock song - start to finish, hopefully.

Hey folks.
I haven't been able to post any work on original songs lately but this song has come up as a co-write for another (female) performer and there's no reason I can't share it.

As usual my pal sent me an iPhone 'scratch' recording and asked for my ideas on direction.
I went with that girl-pop with attitude thing.
Alanis, Meredith Brooks, even Pink...slightly. ( Bye Greg...thanks for reading this far! :p )

Anyway, here's my first pass at it. This is purely for structure and ideas. Everything except drums will be redone at some point.
A decent placeholder vocal should go in on Monday.
I'll update as we go.

and here's one with the vocal scratch track but, I warn you, it's really off-putting!

Post 22 update - proper vocals, all guitars re-tracked, harmonies added.

Last edited:
Sounding really good so far mate. looking forward to hearing with the better vocals on it. Is Pete to be singing this one or is this one for that Gal?

good stuff :thumbs up:

Thanks for listening Ant.
It's being written for a female singer but Pete's going to do vocals for the demo.
It's a pitch we're doing - No idea if she'll go for it.

Ah right. Good stuff all the same though mate. The backing track you're working is sounding mint. A belter of a vocal over the top and it'll pop the icing on it.

:thumbs up:

Ah right. Good stuff all the same though mate. The backing track you're working is sounding mint. A belter of a vocal over the top and it'll pop the icing on it.

:thumbs up:

That's really encouraging mate - Thanks.
I started this late last night so it's still very new to me. I'm hoping I can get a much ballsier rhythm sound with the amp cranked up sometime soon.

This is really good. Fantastic sound on all the instruments...I don't have any nits at all. The scratch vocal is pretty good but it's buried in the mix. I couldn't make out a lot of the lyrics.
Killer tune man.

It's not too bad man. Your vocals aren't bad either. You should just start doing your own vocals. I hate my voice, but I can't stand working with vocalists. It's too fucking annoying. I figure it might not come out as good, but it'll be all mine. So, fuck it right? Anyways... Only thing I didn't like was the drums were too electronic sounding. Of course there is rooms for improving a lot of things such as using a better sounding acoustic, but other than that I think it was cool.

This is really good. Fantastic sound on all the instruments...I don't have any nits at all. The scratch vocal is pretty good but it's buried in the mix. I couldn't make out a lot of the lyrics.
Killer tune man.

Hey, thanks for the listen.
Yeah, the vocal part is buried because it's got guitar in there too and it's a pretty bad recording. It's really just there for my reference at this stage.
Still, I've cranked it up now just so people can hear the words.

It's not too bad man. Your vocals aren't bad either. You should just start doing your own vocals. I hate my voice, but I can't stand working with vocalists. It's too fucking annoying. I figure it might not come out as good, but it'll be all mine. So, fuck it right? Anyways... Only thing I didn't like was the drums were too electronic sounding. Of course there is rooms for improving a lot of things such as using a better sounding acoustic, but other than that I think it was cool.

Thanks Phil. That's not me on vocals. I do some singing sometimes (sig link), but this it's a pal of mine on this one..
The drums were a bit of a relief, to be honest, because all the tracks we referenced seem to just use a sampled loop or very basic repetitive pattern.
Ordinarily I'd be trying to make the kit sound at least half way real but with this one I think fake is fine.

It'll be interesting to see how many people agree or disagree though.

It certainly has the 90's girl-rock thing going on for it. The drums fit perfectly into that scheme.

I don't hear any mixing issues at all. Not sure why you would need to re-track much of anything except vocals, but am curious to see where it goes.

Nice work.

It certainly has the 90's girl-rock thing going on for it. The drums fit perfectly into that scheme.

I don't hear any mixing issues at all. Not sure why you would need to re-track much of anything except vocals, but am curious to see where it goes.

Nice work.

That's really cool to hear. Thanks. :)
I'm glad you think it fits with the genre we were aiming for.

Maybe the need to retrack is less obvious than I thought. A lot of the guitar parts are built up of cut/copy/paste/fade.
I think the bass even carries the wrong line in a few places! :eek:

I booked the guy for vocals tomorrow so I'll post that tomorrow night and take it from there.

Last edited:
Overall, the song has a great sound.

My preference would be to hear a bit more bass in the bass . . . but I always seem to be saying that.

I really like the singer's voice. It reminds me a bit of Al Stewart.

Thanks Gecko.
The bass is something I didn't pay too much attention to with the reference songs.
I'll have to take some time and see what other people are/were doing.

Y'all come back now, ya hear?

Vocal's not off putting at all. I really like what you've done so far. Material is particularly good. Very well written. More than anything, I like a good song.

... and this is very good.

It does need some additional production polish. The mix is not as big as I'd like to hear. :)

I like the mix sans vocals better so far. Not that the performance was bad, it's just a weird sounding track that is almost hissy maybe? Just a little harsh anyway...sounded sped up too?

As for the backing, I think it sounds good. I really liked the lo fi drum tone for something like this as featured in the intro. For me, I'd like to hear the bigger drums kick in even bigger and less lo fi at :28 and elsewhere where those changes occur. Not sure how to do that if you even agree, but I just think there should be a bigger contrast there. Really good start to this though. I enjoy these ones where we get to follow along. :)

I like the mix sans vocals better so far. Not that the performance was bad, it's just a weird sounding track that is almost hissy maybe? Just a little harsh anyway...sounded sped up too?
100% That's what I meant by off-putting. It's a room recording of guitar and vocal about 4' away from the guy in an echoey apartment.
Well spotted, by the way. It is time stretched to comply with a fixed tempo. ;)

As for the backing, I think it sounds good. I really liked the lo fi drum tone for something like this as featured in the intro. For me, I'd like to hear the bigger drums kick in even bigger and less lo fi at :28 and elsewhere where those changes occur. Not sure how to do that if you even agree, but I just think there should be a bigger contrast there. Really good start to this though. I enjoy these ones where we get to follow along. :)

I do agree at 28 and the other places. It's the full beat but with a sidestick snare IIRC. I think I need to go straight open hats or something to give that a bigger sound.
Thanks for that. The contrasts between sections is definitely something I want to shine a big light on.

Hey Steen,

before I say anything about the song: I liked one of your tracks a few weeks ago and Soundcloud now automatically plays it after I listen to one of my own tunes. Now none of my songs are complete without listening to that one afterwards. :D

I think that the kick is too prominent on this. My headphones have mediocre bass response and it was really strong. I imagine it being pretty huge on a setup with better low end.

Hey Steen,

before I say anything about the song: I liked one of your tracks a few weeks ago and Soundcloud now automatically plays it after I listen to one of my own tunes. Now none of my songs are complete without listening to that one afterwards. :D

Haha, too true. I can't listen to anything without hearing Paper Cup after it. :p

I think that the kick is too prominent on this. My headphones have mediocre bass response and it was really strong. I imagine it being pretty huge on a setup with better low end.

Yeah, you're right man. I'm working at this thing to day with new vocals and the kick has been pulled back. Good stuff. :)

It's a really good tune man!

I like where it is headed. No need for my input as I know you got this already. :D

Haha. Thanks Jimmy.

New link with vocals. Took a quick comp/mix. I know it's all there. A good start was made.

Harmonies and proper guitars tomorrow.

Enjoy.

Anyone on HD280s should be loving this. The rest of you are on your own for now. :p

Yeah, that vocal gets the idea across much better. Good job with that.

The guitars maybe sound a little mushy now by comparison, but you say you're re-tracking them?

I did happen to listen on HD 280's, so I guess I can't offer a unique perspective there, but everything sounded pretty clear to me. Awaiting the next incarnation...

Back