"Stay".... trial mix no. 1

GONZO-X

"Stay".... trial mix no. 1

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/stay-trial-mix-no-1

still making mix decisions on this one...
sounds better louder,
so i've got to decide if i want to compress this one more for the vox at least.

song length: clocks in at 3:30

lyric:
sometimes you just don't want folks to go away

song stats:

Number of Samples: 9268224
-----------------------------------------------

left right

Peak value: -0.11 dB --- -0.11 dB
Avg RMS: -14.29 dB --- -13.80 dB
DR channel: 12.78 dB --- 12.58 dB
-----------------------------------------------

Official DR value: DR13

Maybe compress the vocal....just to get it up a tad in the mix...just a little. The guitar work is great.

Maybe compress the vocal....just to get it up a tad in the mix...just a little. The guitar work is great.

thanks for the review, stugort....
good to know it's translating.

it's one of my more bass guitar-heavy recordings,
so i'm trying to push that out without mud or boom

I like the triphop feel to it, reminds me of the 90s, in a good way.

thanks for listening, btyre,
yes, it is a bit trippy,
tho i didn't listen to much stuff like this in the 90's,
maybe the closest i came was the Prodigy

glad you liked it

For some reason I briefly thought of Jon Anderson when I heard parts of the vocals. Since the bass is so melodic and sort of featured, I think it stand a touch more upper mids distinction.

For some reason I briefly thought of Jon Anderson when I heard parts of the vocals. Since the bass is so melodic and sort of featured, I think it stand a touch more upper mids distinction.

sammy,
you know, i hear this jon anderson thing often enough to wonder 'wtf?'
heheheh

also, someone else suggested i did not have enough low bass in the bass, and suggested i had too much upper mids.

story of my life.
LOL

i'll keep tweaking the bass guitar track, see if i can find the right balance between super low, mud, and clarity
thanks for listening

Nice mix. Good song. Holds your attention at all times. Love the vocals and the "spacing" of the sound stage..........except for one small thing. That "wah" guitar track seems to wander from center to full right on and off right? Or am I crazy?? When it's more center it seems a bit too loud and overtakes some cool things that are happening. And as someone said already....the low bass range can come up somewhat.............but don't kill that great Ric sound I think I hear.

That's a Ric bass? If so, you're not capturing the excellent crisp high end it has - like you're using the neck pickup with the tone control all the way to the bass side. Definitely put some hi-mid on it. I'm not fond of the snare sound.
Good sound on everything else

Nice mix. Good song. Holds your attention at all times. Love the vocals and the "spacing" of the sound stage..........except for one small thing. That "wah" guitar track seems to wander from center to full right on and off right? Or am I crazy?? When it's more center it seems a bit too loud and overtakes some cool things that are happening. And as someone said already....the low bass range can come up somewhat.............but don't kill that great Ric sound I think I hear.

no, not a rickenbacher, it's a carvin LB70.....
thru a sansamp bass di..

and playing it fingerstyle,
i'm not going to get a ric kind of sound anyway, wasn't what i was looking for,
i was looking for more of a james jamerson / motown kind of bass tone, got pretty close!

the 'wah' guitar is just an envelope follower, not a real wah,
but i do pan it all around, in the cans, it's a bit trippy...
i'll focus on any masking going on, if the pan is phucking the center, i'll edit it.
thanks!

Overall this is fantastic... my feedback really just comes from a preference thing... Bass could have more of a presence to beef up the track a little more. The bass sounds great in terms of EQ and such, but just bring that fader up a tad - not much. I also agree with mjbphotos - I'm not a fan of that snare.

This is reallly, really good though man - Nice one!

TheLurker

That's a Ric bass? If so, you're not capturing the excellent crisp high end it has - like you're using the neck pickup with the tone control all the way to the bass side. Definitely put some hi-mid on it. I'm not fond of the snare sound.
Good sound on everything else

hey mjb.....
no, no ricky here...
i wished i had one, always wanted one.

as i said earlier, i was going for old school bass on this one..
not quite dub, but not modern either...
a good fingerstyle bass, like the kind you do not hear anymore.

and as far as the snare, i'm stuck with what i got!
i wrote this drum track on a Zoom 123 drum machine about 10 years ago,
had a stereo file in 24bit,
decided i would use it for something, this is it.....

---------- Update ----------

Overall this is fantastic... my feedback really just comes from a preference thing... Bass could have more of a presence to beef up the track a little more. The bass sounds great in terms of EQ and such, but just bring that fader up a tad - not much. I also agree with mjbphotos - I'm not a fan of that snare.

This is reallly, really good though man - Nice one!

TheLurker
hey lurker!

appreciate the critique ....
it's hard to say the bottom is 'correct' when you get conflicting reports.......!
half the guys say bring it up, the other half say it's right...
i think it probably needs a bit of bottom push, maybe at 80hz, i'll have to see where the kick is happening.....

---------- Update ----------

ok, i took this one down.
moving on.........

Back