Starting Final Mixes Song 7-A Heart Of Thanks

BroKen_H

Re-member
Not sure if this is ready for prime time. Spent a lot of time on it this week (between other sessions) and I THINK it's close. Anyway, some things on here I never thought I'd do, but this is the concept that came into my head.

150+ views/7 plays on SC. Either people are giving up listening after a few seconds, or I've got a really bad description...:D

The mix sounds good to me. The kick and snare sound kind of generic but they aren't really the focus of the song. Good arranging having new parts coming in as new changes happen. Cool modulation towards the end I like that kind of thing. I think the mix is serving the song well, my only real complaint would be the higher pitched vocals, at times they sound kind of strained as it's obviously at the top of your range, you're hitting the notes it just sounds like a bit of a struggle. Maybe the mix could have used a bit more sheen in the high end as most of the instrumentation is in the mid range, but that could just be my listening environment. Nit picks really, the song is coming across.

Ok, I'll bite. I think this is streets ahead of what you were posting six months ago and I think your vocals are sounding miles better without that ozzyfier thing on them. Everything's a lot more open. It's not my thing stylistically, but in terms of the mix I think it's sounding pretty good.

There are a couple of timing flubs here and there, like the clattery drum after 'thank you Jesus on my lips', but I'm sure you can clean them up quite easily.

I apparently need drum replacements. I wrote the entire 12 song project on these same drums, trying to be cohesive. BUT, everyone (on almost every song) has mentioned the snare, and the kick on most.
Strat: I'll look at livening up the up! :) You know, it's funny. Sometimes you hear a song in your head and say, "that's not one of mine..." But then you track it and there it is. The modulation was hilarious, because I knew the singing was at my cap before I modulated the music, but that's what I heard. TBH, I think the vocals are more confident there than they were "in my range".

Rob: Thanks for the listen. Really appreciate the encouragement. I've been running a lot more practice before singing. I'm also doing 40-50 takes now, instead of 10-12 like I used to for each part. I bit the bullet and got Melodyne, but honestly (and this is the worst song I've had to correct recently) I only had to adjust 18 notes total on this (plus a couple of nudges on the Pitch Variance % where notes were a bit wild). Getting back into my breathing and practice schedule and starting to get my voice back (and some range I didn't think I'd ever get to again). I still slid every iteration of thank--you at the beginning of each chorus. The drum flubs were intentional, but there are too many of that particular thing, so I'll see about doing other things, or making the triple hit a bit more subtle. Lots of polish time between now and the end of July.
AFA Mixing...I'm learning a lot, and now I'm retaining. My first hurdle with over compression was a hard one to shake. Things are a little more natural now. Learning how to use the knobs: Ratio and Threshold are good buddies; Attack doesn't HAVE to be 1ms; a little here and a little there sometimes sounds better, but 11:1 slam in one shot sometimes sounds better, too; and I'm getting to understand where and when, and most importantly when to use NONE AT ALL. Still using what some would probably say are too many parallel channels, but it's a lot easier for me work with those for whatever reason, so I do.

Back