Started re-mixing in REAPER

R

RAMI

Hey Y'all,

I've had my head buried in all my older tunes, re-mixing them in REAPER. Still getting used to mixing with a mouse, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. At this point, I've just been mixing so much that I probably have lost perspective. For all I know, the drums ( or bass or guitars or vocals) are too loud or too low and I can't even tell right now. So any help is always greatly appreciated.

I posted 3 tunes. I know we don't like it when someone posts more than one link, but many of you have heard most of these. So, if you recognize a title or the first few bars of one tune, you might want to skip to another that you may not have heard.

Thanx!

NEW WORLD DISORDER

PIRAHNAS

THRUYOHED

They all sound really good. You're doing fine in the box. :)

If I had to really nitpick about something....

Thruyohead - could maybe use some louder rhythm guitars. Just a touch.

Pirahnas - backing vox may be a little too up front.

NWD - Sounds fine.

Listened to New World Disorder. Generally an excellent sound. Loved the drum and vocal sounds. Bass is sitting just right.

Personal taste thing - but I'd like a dryer vocal.

A couple of clicky hits on the kick at around 1:30. No big deal. Other spots too. Kick might just be a tad too loud as well.

Mix seems to lean slightly to the left in spots. The intro is an example.

Another personal taste thing - I'd like the guitars just a little brighter. Could probably be accomplished with a small cut somewhere in the 300-600hz octave.

Everything mentioned is a nit. Nice mix.

All of the songs sound great! I really like your drums sound. How do you record them?
Thanx Squibble. I record my drums with 4 mics: 2 overheads, snare and kik. I set them up in a Recorderman/Glyn Johns hybrid. The over-the-shoulder mic at about elbow height somewhere between me and the floor tom.

By the way, I clicked on your link and listened to "Eye of the Storm".....twice. I really dig it. I'll check out the rest of your tunes later on. :cool:
They all sound really good. You're doing fine in the box. :)

If I had to really nitpick about something....

Thruyohead - could maybe use some louder rhythm guitars. Just a touch.

Pirahnas - backing vox may be a little too up front.

NWD - Sounds fine.
Thanx Greg. I'll go back and listen to them and listen for what you said. I mixed them a few weeks ago and haven't heard any of them again since.

Yeah, mixing in the box isn't that bad. It's not as if I'm moving faders all over the place when I mix. It's more a matter of getting the mix and then automating the little changes that need to be made, if any.
Listened to New World Disorder. Generally an excellent sound. Loved the drum and vocal sounds. Bass is sitting just right.

Personal taste thing - but I'd like a dryer vocal.

A couple of clicky hits on the kick at around 1:30. No big deal. Other spots too. Kick might just be a tad too loud as well.

Mix seems to lean slightly to the left in spots. The intro is an example.

Another personal taste thing - I'd like the guitars just a little brighter. Could probably be accomplished with a small cut somewhere in the 300-600hz octave.

Everything mentioned is a nit. Nice mix.
Thanx a lot, MMM.

I didn't want to fill my first post with disclaimers and explanations, but just for the record, New World Disorder was recorded about 2 1/2 years ago in a different house with a different guitar set up. I totally agree that the guitars lack highs. I've changed my set up since then. Problem is, all the EQ'ing in the world won't help them because I captured a mediocre sound to begin with. If there weren't so many parts to re-do, I'd re-track for sure. The way it is, I'm just going to claim that was the sound I was going for. :D :D :D

Thanx for taking the time, guys.

Rami

Mixes sound Great RAMI...nice job.

Wish I had some insight on how you mixed the songs...Im having a tough time with getting vocals to sit in the mix properly.

Anyway nice job.

Listening to New world dissorder:

I agree with the vocals, specially in the verse could be a tad dryer.

I'd personaly like some delay on the lead slide solo, just to make it bigger, if that makes any sense:o

other than that, your stuff sounds solid and great.:)

Pirhanas.

I'd like a bit more bass clarity, you play that thing so tight would be cool to have it higher in the soundscape.
I'm not too keen on the flanger on the vox in the beginning, maybe some tweaking would do?

everthing else sound great to me, loved the ending:cool:

thruyohead.

I'd like some sort dealy on the vox here, it might suit it, very subtle amount though.
Drums sounds fantastic on this tune.

You seem to have tackled the transition to reaper remarkably:cool:

all tunes sounds great man:cool:

Thanx Squibble. I record my drums with 4 mics: 2 overheads, snare and kik. I set them up in a Recorderman/Glyn Johns hybrid. The over-the-shoulder mic at about elbow height somewhere between me and the floor tom.

By the way, I clicked on your link and listened to "Eye of the Storm".....twice. I really dig it. I'll check out the rest of your tunes later on.

Oh cool, thanks. By the way, don't bother listening to those songs :laughings: They were recorded about two years ago. I had almost zero knowledge of recording. I've been having trouble writing stuff, so I'll record and post them once I write a decent song :rolleyes:

Sounding great, RAMI. I listened to NWO, and don't have any nits. I really like the backing harmonies during the choruses.

Sounds really good on my Rokits!

D. Vincent Thanx a lot. I don't have any secrets to recording my vocals. I use an AKG C3000b straight into my recorder. After that, some compression, EQ, etc.....

Nak. I already thanked you in private, but wantd to say thanx again. :cool:

Poetic Thanx, man. I appreciate that.

Listened to NWD and instantly recognised that distinctive snare snap you've always had. Your rythym guitars remind me of the Visconti/Bowie days, they sound great. Mix sounds just fine here. Reaper's pretty damn good isn't it. Nice job

Your methodology might have changed dramatically, R ... but you've obviously not. You've got the same ears you did before, and these are spot on.

Anything I'd offer would be preference only, and so minor ... it's not really worth mentioning.

K-

Listening to ThruYoHed... love the "Gutter Cats Vs. The Jets" reference! Everything sounds pretty good to me... drums sound a tad dry and the guitar thing (highs) has already been mentioned, but still not bad...

Other two sound great to me!

Sounds perfectly Rami to me!!!!! And that means GOOD!

NWD,
Reminded me of how untterly jealous I am that you picked up slide so well & so quickly. GREAT mix. You have some facility with mice my friend.
PIRAHNAS,
Yeah, the bass in the intro could do with a tiny bit of definition - 2db with a narrow Q at 3Khz?
The FX on the intro voice made me pay attention so I guess it works/serves it's purpose. Cool lead work!
TYH,
The "dry" drumsWORK for me. Good guitar sounds. maybe a little of the same def. on the bass?
I'm glad you posted remixes - the songs sound even better now than previously. It is an head imploding process however & you'll now need to go off & write, arrange, play & record a newie just for therapy.
How's the band going? Have you written anything for them? You could do a little genre crossing if you felt like it!
thanks for putting a smile on my dial tonight!

Yeah man, Im with Ray, I am jelous of your slide playing on "New World Disorder"...so clean and percise...when I try it sounds like a nightmarish cross between a cat in heat and a rusty gate ....Clean tight and punchy, awesome!...does this mean your going to be putting out Deluxe, remasterd editons of your 2 CD's ala "Exile On Main Street":D
Great job Rami!

Listened to NWD and instantly recognised that distinctive snare snap you've always had. Your rythym guitars remind me of the Visconti/Bowie days, they sound great. Mix sounds just fine here. Reaper's pretty damn good isn't it. Nice job
Hey Bull, Thanx man. Yes, Reaper is great. I wish I wasn't so reluctant to take the jump into the box sooner.
Your methodology might have changed dramatically, R ... but you've obviously not. You've got the same ears you did before, and these are spot on.

Anything I'd offer would be preference only, and so minor ... it's not really worth mentioning.

K-
Hey K, coming from you, it's a big compliment. I still have to make a few adjustments, but I think I'm close and can finally move on and start something new.
Listening to ThruYoHed... love the "Gutter Cats Vs. The Jets" reference! Everything sounds pretty good to me... drums sound a tad dry and the guitar thing (highs) has already been mentioned, but still not bad...

Other two sound great to me!

Sounds perfectly Rami to me!!!!! And that means GOOD!
Hey Jeff!!! How are you, brother? I'm glad someone caught the "Gutter Cat" reference (which I actually got from Alice Cooper who got it from West Side Story). On Thruyohed, I'll be bringing up the guitars and trying to brighten them up a bit. Thanx, duder. :cool:
NWD,
Reminded me of how untterly jealous I am that you picked up slide so well & so quickly. GREAT mix. You have some facility with mice my friend.
PIRAHNAS,
Yeah, the bass in the intro could do with a tiny bit of definition - 2db with a narrow Q at 3Khz?
The FX on the intro voice made me pay attention so I guess it works/serves it's purpose. Cool lead work!
TYH,
The "dry" drumsWORK for me. Good guitar sounds. maybe a little of the same def. on the bass?
I'm glad you posted remixes - the songs sound even better now than previously. It is an head imploding process however & you'll now need to go off & write, arrange, play & record a newie just for therapy.
How's the band going? Have you written anything for them? You could do a little genre crossing if you felt like it!
thanks for putting a smile on my dial tonight!
Thanx a lot Ray. Yes, I wish I can get a more percussive sound from the bass in "Piranhans". I'm going to try compressing it. What would you suggest, fast attack and release??? I'm obviously going to experiment, but you're the bass guru, so you could probably give me an idea of a starting point. No originals for the band. It's just not that kind of thing. We play covers and get paid, that's about it. :eek:
Yeah man, Im with Ray, I am jelous of your slide playing on "New World Disorder"...so clean and percise...when I try it sounds like a nightmarish cross between a cat in heat and a rusty gate ....Clean tight and punchy, awesome!...does this mean your going to be putting out Deluxe, remasterd editons of your 2 CD's ala "Exile On Main Street":D
Great job Rami!
Hehe...I have to release these first before I can re-release them. :D Thanx Queep. The slide took a lot of practice just to get to the point of being able to record something...one punch in at time. It's a fun thing to play, but very frustrating because the first time you pick up a slide after not playing it for a few weeks, you sound like you're killing a cat again until you've practiced for a few hours all over again. :eek:

Hey Jeff!!! How are you, brother? I'm glad someone caught the "Gutter Cat" reference (which I actually got from Alice Cooper who got it from West Side Story). On Thruyohed, I'll be bringing up the guitars and trying to brighten them up a bit. Thanx, duder. :cool:

Back in the days of vinyl "45's," (God I'm old!) Gutter Cat Vs. The Jets was, I believe, the flip side to "School's Out." I could be wrong about that, but I know I had a 45 with that on the flip side. Loved that intro!!!!!!

Back in the days of vinyl "45's," (God I'm old!) Gutter Cat Vs. The Jets was, I believe, the flip side to "School's Out." I could be wrong about that, but I know I had a 45 with that on the flip side. Loved that intro!!!!!!

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was the flip side. I never bought an Alice Cooper single. I know every album inside out, though.:)

Back