Stalking Horse - my latest thang

Armistice

Son of Yoda
So this was a long time coming. Completely recorded twice, two complete sets of lyrics, and four different attempts at a chorus on the second set, until I finally said to to myself after the fourth attempt "I fear this is not working!!!!" and I realised that those very words were the chorus I'd been looking for all this time. True story.

No 6+ minute epic this time, a positively trim 4:59.

Stalking Horse

As usual I've listened to this so many times I have zero idea about it any more, so have at it as we say in Blighty. All feedback taken on board, especially of the "Cut 2db @ 1500 " nature - my ears being a tad dusty.

Thanks in advance, ladies and jellybeans.

The Words

She is a siren, she is a fighter
Temptress for the fallen, un-requiter
She carries her pain like a good luck charm
It keeps her from feeling, it keeps her from harm

I fear, this is, this is, not working
I fear, I fear, this is, not working

Yet we sit drinking and compare vignettes
I spit on the dice and I place my bets
Yeah she was really beautiful in a bloodless sort of way
Didn’t matter what I did, didn’t matter what I’d say

Some other city’s calling, it’s time to pull an oar
To lock up all the memories, to push out from the shore
Where there’s music for the happy and poems for the sad
There are flowers for the lovers and silence for the mad
Where the wild ponies of her affections aren’t free to run and roam
And I don’t have to deal with all her beauty
Where there are no signposts to her stately pleasure dome
And the chase is not a duty
And I can’t ride her stalking horse
Back home

Sometimes hiding is the best thing you can do
Stay away from that which you pay worship to
Take all your temptation and lock it in a chest
Throw away the key and put your soul at rest
And just what would we have done with eternity anyway
This feels like a victory in a strange peculiar way

Tone on everything is excellent. Levels on everything are just right IMO. Performances are tight.

Not much to complain about. But I will anyway... :)

A bit too much reverb for my tastes. But I like things dry.

The crash cymbals are panned pretty wide. Creates a ping-pong effect on earbuds.

Minor stuff. I thought this was quite good.

Generally sounds really good. I sort of agree that the reverb is a bit much, but the song sort of needs it. Maybe make it shorter or change the eq a little.

What stood out to me was that the vocal seemed to be pretty strong at 400Hz. I think a 3dB, 2 octave wide cut at 400Hz on the vocal would make it sit in the mix better, and perhaps an additional couple of dB off at 400 in mastering would also help.

Tone on everything is excellent. Levels on everything are just right IMO. Performances are tight.

Not much to complain about. But I will anyway... :)

A bit too much reverb for my tastes. But I like things dry.

The crash cymbals are panned pretty wide. Creates a ping-pong effect on earbuds.

Minor stuff. I thought this was quite good.

Cheers Trip - I have dried the reverb out a bit - it was a bit overegged, and also moved the crashes a bit closer to the centre. Thanks for the loan of your ears. :)

Generally sounds really good. I sort of agree that the reverb is a bit much, but the song sort of needs it. Maybe make it shorter or change the eq a little.

What stood out to me was that the vocal seemed to be pretty strong at 400Hz. I think a 3dB, 2 octave wide cut at 400Hz on the vocal would make it sit in the mix better, and perhaps an additional couple of dB off at 400 in mastering would also help.

Thanks boulder - I knew the vocal wasn't quite as I wanted it but couldn't figure out the remedy - I've made those changes and it does sit better - also dried up the reverb and shelved the lows and highs off it a little more. Thanks for the listen.:D

You pulled it back together from my earlier listens, mate! Everything sounds balanced in the bottom end, now. :thumbs up:

I'm listening to the link the in the OP. Agree with the suggestion about thinning the lower mids on the vocal. Generally there's a lot going on in your low mids (guitar, bass, vocals). It's giving the mix a congested quality, which the reverb intensifies. Might also help to high pass more in the vocals, guitars, even bass. For me, the groove could be more solid but I don't think you are looking for comments of that sort so I will leave it there.

Listening on Headphones, HD460 through my USB interface. I didn't hearing anything that was out there. I don't know perfect, so I can only comment on what is pleasant listening to my ears.

Maybe the snare is punching through a little too much and that is giving an issue at louder levels. I liked the feel, I liked how the drums were being used as an instrument and not a time keeper.

Sounded good to me. :thumbs up:

You pulled it back together from my earlier listens, mate! Everything sounds balanced in the bottom end, now. :thumbs up:

You, bubba, are my audio spirit animal and guide.... :laughings: cheers maaaaate. :D

I'm listening to the link the in the OP. Agree with the suggestion about thinning the lower mids on the vocal. Generally there's a lot going on in your low mids (guitar, bass, vocals). It's giving the mix a congested quality, which the reverb intensifies. Might also help to high pass more in the vocals, guitars, even bass. For me, the groove could be more solid but I don't think you are looking for comments of that sort so I will leave it there.

Thanks Robus - I'm open to all sorts of feedback. I am going to simplify some of the drumming over the weekend in a few spots - but that won't be for more than another 24 hours as the weekend and more fun stuff approacheth - maybe check back in Sunday night and see what you think. :D

Listening on Headphones, HD460 through my USB interface. I didn't hearing anything that was out there. I don't know perfect, so I can only comment on what is pleasant listening to my ears.

Maybe the snare is punching through a little too much and that is giving an issue at louder levels. I liked the feel, I liked how the drums were being used as an instrument and not a time keeper.

Sounded good to me. :thumbs up:

Thanks DM - I'm also thinking the snare's a touch too much and I'm going to spend a bit more time with this tomorrow afternoon, so I'll have a listen then. Cheers. :thumbs up:

Last line 1st verse - her is buried.
I like moist music.
The "circular" drums remind me of late Joy Division.
Crystal clear guitar tones.
New chorus is perfect.
I enjoyed the track - well done Mr Smith.

Mellifluous as usual.

The vocals feel a little loud a few times. It's probably the BGVs, which is a shame, cause I like them and don't necessarily want to hear them quieter.

I feel like the vocals might benefit from a little grit. The vibe I'm feeling from the song is jaded storyteller in a smokey bar; but the vocal tone is feeling world-weary, but not quite to jaded.

Hey armistice. It's a pretty complex arrangement, but you certainly pull it off - as always. There's tremendous clarity and separation throughout.

I don't know if you've made any changes yet based on prior comments, but I definitely think the lead vocal could use something carved out of the low or low-mid area. I can't be as specific as other folks in that regard (sorry!) but that was my overall impression. Sounds pretty cool when joined by the BGVs though for sure.

I like the busy drums for this myself. Nice work sir.

Last line 1st verse - her is buried.
I like moist music.
The "circular" drums remind me of late Joy Division.
Crystal clear guitar tones.
New chorus is perfect.
I enjoyed the track - well done Mr Smith.

Thanks ray - I've done all I can with that "her" :D - not sure it made a huge difference.

Mellifluous as usual.

The vocals feel a little loud a few times. It's probably the BGVs, which is a shame, cause I like them and don't necessarily want to hear them quieter.

I feel like the vocals might benefit from a little grit. The vibe I'm feeling from the song is jaded storyteller in a smokey bar; but the vocal tone is feeling world-weary, but not quite to jaded.

Mellifluous.. I like that! Funny thing is that now that I've finally become reconciled to the fact that I can't sing like Axl Rose and I'm staying deep down in my rather limited range, it's sounding much more musical, IMO. I agree on the vocal levels and have pulled them in just a smidge and tightened up the compression to try and sit it in a little better.

Hey armistice. It's a pretty complex arrangement, but you certainly pull it off - as always. There's tremendous clarity and separation throughout.

I don't know if you've made any changes yet based on prior comments, but I definitely think the lead vocal could use something carved out of the low or low-mid area. I can't be as specific as other folks in that regard (sorry!) but that was my overall impression. Sounds pretty cool when joined by the BGVs though for sure.

I like the busy drums for this myself. Nice work sir.

Hey heat! Welcome back. I saw your tune there this morning, I'll have a listen a little later. Thanks for your comments - I haven't done anything further with the vocal EQ as I'd just been working on the drums this morning. I really do rely upon others to tell me where to take EQ on my voice - I can't work it out, so we'll see what comes back now with the new mix if anyone listens to it. I went a little overboard with the busy drums and it was a touch jerky and the hats and snares weren't quite working all together against the sung parts of the verse - so I've straightened it all out a bit while leaving the latter part of each line alone - think it grooves along more nicely now. This is probably what Robus was referring to and Bubba made a similar comment. Still busy though! :) Cheers mate

I listened when you posted this but didn't have time to comment. Sounds pretty smooth at this point. Nice arrangement as usual. The clean angular guitar work is really interesting. Not sure why, but the kit image comes through a little narrow for me, until the part with all the rack toms. Nice work on those- they are alot of fun to listen to.

Armistice - listened to this loads of times now, don't really have anything to add in the way of comments - really like it though.

The drums sound too far back (it's the reverb), and the vocal sounds very dry in comparison - different reverb convolution on it, maybe?

Sounds great man. I really like the vocal - nice and crisp and a bit dark. Very slick.

I think the 2:11 section could have a more aggressive use of reverbs or delays.

Overall the mix does sound like there is a low mid frequency emphasis but it goes beyond warmth. Maybe it works fine here.

I listened when you posted this but didn't have time to comment. Sounds pretty smooth at this point. Nice arrangement as usual. The clean angular guitar work is really interesting. Not sure why, but the kit image comes through a little narrow for me, until the part with all the rack toms. Nice work on those- they are alot of fun to listen to.

Thanks fat - I checked the panning on the drums and I had a couple of things in the wrong places - hats on top of rides for instance - I have a habit of accidentally affecting things i don't intend to using the scroll wheel on the mouse - suspect that's what happened here, so I've put things back where I'd normally have them. Sounds better in terms of kit width now... I hope. Thanks for your comments.

Armistice - listened to this loads of times now, don't really have anything to add in the way of comments - really like it though.

Thanks JDude. Appreciate the listen.

The drums sound too far back (it's the reverb), and the vocal sounds very dry in comparison - different reverb convolution on it, maybe?

It was the same reverb, just differing amounts, and there was something about it all that was bugging me - so I've dried out the snare and hats a little and moistened the vocals a touch. Thanks for your comments.

Sounds great man. I really like the vocal - nice and crisp and a bit dark. Very slick.

I think the 2:11 section could have a more aggressive use of reverbs or delays.

Overall the mix does sound like there is a low mid frequency emphasis but it goes beyond warmth. Maybe it works fine here.

Thanks IBB. Funnily enough I did originally have a delay on that mid section but got sick of trying to work the GUI "knobs" with my mouse to get it right and so I took it off and sort of forgot about my original intention - just went back and switched it through to the sliders and added a touch. Thanks for the listen. Also did a bit more EQ on the master bus re the "dark" thing as a result of listening on my phone and a few other sets of speakers. Cheers

Well done chap

This is great, I really like the composition, reminds me of early Bowie, width of a circle era

On the mix, not much really..I thought the vocals varied a little in loudness at parts, but maybe not...great help. No it all sounded pretty spot on to me :)

Great listen. Your voice is exceptional where you're singing! My only insignificant nit: Whereas the ending drops off suddenly and leaves a naked vocal, it would sound nice (to my ears) to have all the reverb tails dropped and have just the vocal on "not working"...

Well done chap

This is great, I really like the composition, reminds me of early Bowie, width of a circle era

On the mix, not much really..I thought the vocals varied a little in loudness at parts, but maybe not...great help. No it all sounded pretty spot on to me :)

Thanks kc... I wrote it specifically with you in mind. Glad you like it. :D

Great listen. Your voice is exceptional where you're singing! My only insignificant nit: Whereas the ending drops off suddenly and leaves a naked vocal, it would sound nice (to my ears) to have all the reverb tails dropped and have just the vocal on "not working"...

Thanks Broken - I thought of doing that and but never actually tried it. I might have a play and see what it sounds like. Thanks for the listen. ;)

Back