Spoilin The Mix - Advice on Mix

LJUK

Not sure if the snare is too loud, and maybe the vocals too much drive?

If someone could have a listen and advise it will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Put it in the MP3 Clinic. You'll get more responses.

EDIT:

HAHA! Never mind. This is the MP3 Clinic. I could have sworn I was in the Mixing clinic. Sorry about that.

Had a quick listen. Not sure it the snare's too loud, or if it's just that the rest of the kit is MIA. I can't hear any hi-hats, cymbals, etc....There's some kik. Sounds like a cool tune, though.

Did you change the soundcloud link since RAMI replied?

The HH is much to strong, especially in the 10k and higher region. Sounds way out of context in the mix. Not natural at all.

Not enough definition of any of the instruments IMO. It sounds washed out to me. Especially not digging that high guitar note. It is killing me.

And this is my personal opinion, shoot that snare sample in the face. Yuck! Sounds like a wet cardboard box. lol! Sorry.

The toms sound good and I really like the song.

Sorry if I am sounding like a dick.

:)

thanks for the replies.

No, not changed the mix, it's still the original one.

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions. I'll have a play around in the areas you've said and then see how it sounds.

thanks for the replies.

No, not changed the mix, it's still the original one.

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions. I'll have a play around in the areas you've said and then see how it sounds.

What drum program are you using? I could easily send you another snare sample that might work better.

Oh, and I think RAMI must have a cold or something. No offense buddy. :)

just using garageband (as it's easy to play the song using the keyboard then quantise it and adjust any mistakes, rather than program the whole thing).

ive tried installing addictive drums and other type programs but doesn't seem to load, so just stuck with their preinstalled kits.

I think he was right about the cymbal, especially when it goes round the kit in the middle of the verse, seems to build up for the harmonies coming up but then no cymbal sound let it's down.

I agree the balance needs looking at, Jimmy & Rami REALLY know about drums so it's worth thinking about!

for myself apart from the balance I think the drums sound good :rolleyes: as does the whole track!

i've EQ'd the Hats down at bit at the 10k area, brought up the level of cymbal and got rid of the high guitar note in chorus.

Does this mix sound better?

Yeah, must be my ears. I hear a hat if I really listen to it. But to me it sounds like the drums have a blanket over them.

EDIT Again: (I'm really screwing up my posts in this thread)

My comment above was still about the first mix. Didn't notice there was a new mix. I'll check that out later. I just realized the intro and chord progression to this is very STP. Not a bad thing, just sayin'.

Last edited:
I like the second mix a little better. The snare is a little less roomy. The first version was loud, but still distant. Too much verb.

BGV's are a little soft. But I tend to like them on the loud side.

Something about the guitars aren't right to me. They sound decent, but a little lifeless. Can't put my finger on it.

There's a def. lack of sparkle/top end across the recording.
Drum balance is improving but the ride/crash now seem little lost.
Bass guitar is there but almost not. You may have to fight the overlap between kick drum & bass.
To take Rami's blanket analogy - seems like I threw it over the speakers before listening.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I've remixed it brightening up all the instruments and trying to make each one distinctive.

Thanks in advance to people that listen

Shit the bed! I had my volume up a bit too loud when I hit play and got hit by a hell of a lot of high end.

I think mix 2 is the best of the 3. This new one is way too bright for me. The crashes and hats are a bit fizzy (For want of a better phrase)

Good song and performance though. Be interesting to hear this when it's finished. :thumbs up:

Shit the bed! I had my volume up a bit too loud when I hit play and got hit by a hell of a lot of high end.

I think mix 2 is the best of the 3. This new one is way too bright for me. The crashes and hats are a bit fizzy (For want of a better phrase)

Good song and performance though. Be interesting to hear this when it's finished. :thumbs up:

Thanks for the reply mate.

It is quite bright overall but past comments have been the other Mix was too dull. I'll have a go at mixing half way between the two to see if I can get it right lol

Back