Spanish Wings

Stratomaster

Recorded over the last 24 hours. Continuing from my last posted song, i had made contact with a guy i knew 30 years ago who writes lyrics-he gave me these lyrics to work on and the whole tune came together quickly, just finished guitars today. As far as the mix-i really didn't mix this, that is to say i didn't spend two weeks fiddling to make it sound worse. Put the drums on a bus and eq+compressed a bit, some effects on the vocals and thats it. My housemate has a Landr account for some reason and he ran this through their mastering process and i was pretty happy with the results-its a few db hotter than my master of course and some low end eq'd out, but sounds pretty much like my mix. I will probably re-do the vocals at some point but for now i'm liking the raw lively sound of this mix. If you have any suggestions on how i could spend my next few weeks making this sound worse, feel free. Thanks for you time!

Sounds pretty good. I like the song and jangly guitars. Vocal sounds fine to me. Bass and kick are slightly overbearing. The guitars are intruding on the vocal space a bit more than I like, but dropping the bass slightly might allow them more space to coexist. You might want to mute everything but the lead and backing vocals and focus on getting them balanced, then see how it sounds when you add the instrumentals back in.

If you are spending two weeks on a mix, you are spending too much time! Spend an afternoon at most getting it more-or-less, take in the comments on the clinic, then let it rest for a couple of weeks. Come back to it with fresh ears and repeat. Your adjustments should be getting smaller and smaller with each session. A dB more or less on bass is a big adjustment.

I like that bass sound.

The big thing that could stand fixing I notice is the timing between the lead vocal, bgvox, and delay. They don't match up very well, and the delay is long enough that it ends up sounding like 3 singers that aren't synced up very well rather than one full vocal and a tight harmony.
Ironically, the lead vocal ends up sounding a little dry for it too.

Thanks to anyone who listened-Your observations are correct as usual, the mix is sloppy for sure but i think it has a good vibe from being done quickly and simply. Vocals need a re-do and then the endless twiddling will begin. The bass sound is a sans amp bass driver, highly recomended.

Wish I had a mate who did free lyrics. Free vocals would be nice too.
I think it's a great tune. Really like the vibe, vocals are great, little lead break is real tasty.
My only nit is the sound of the snare. It's a bit dull and could use more snap imo. It actually reminds me of the snare sound of my very first kit back in the 70s

Sounds pretty good. A little tweaking here and there for the next two weeks ought to dial it in. :D

The only thing that really sticks out to me is the vocal delay. It just doesn't match the style of the song at all. I think you could/should use a short reverb and call it good. But, that's my preference and I am a recovering reverb-a-holic.
:)

Cool man. :cool:

I dunno. I'm trying to listen more as a music fan lately instead of looking for problems, and I just like this. The guitars sound pretty scooped, but in a way it adds to the raw vibe. The only thing I didn't really like was the repetition. I felt it should have changed up a bit more. The fade out was pretty fast for a fade.

I like the song but I'm not keen on the "jangle" - it doesn't really jangle - the louder guitar is a little irritating but I like the song as I said.

Good song. The main thing I noticed is what rayc pointed out...a little too heavy on the jangle of the guitars. I would trim back the high end on them. Probably in the 4K to 5K range.
Nice work!

I dunno. I'm trying to listen more as a music fan lately instead of looking for problems, and I just like this. The guitars sound pretty scooped, but in a way it adds to the raw vibe. The only thing I didn't really like was the repetition. I felt it should have changed up a bit more. The fade out was pretty fast for a fade.
I agree with this here. Honestly, I think you could put this in a shuffle with some of my "not exactly favorite" songs from the late 80s and early 90s and it would fit just fine. There are a number of decisions I would never have made on sounds and effects, but it just plain works. The kick and bass feel loud to me, but my "living room" system is bass heavy, so...

Well this song was revived from a few pages back somehow, thanks Bulls Hit, Chili, Nola, rayc, jimistone, and ashcat_lt for listening. The first mix like i said was run through landr, i was excited to hear such a loud and clear mix, but it also did some things i didn't like-making the electric guitar kind of shrill sounding and highlighting the fact that my bass was maybe too loud? Anyways i put new vocals (automated the delay to only a few spots) and two acoustic guitars (6+12 string) since the last mix and have a newer version if anyone is interested. This is my own master so doesn't have that slick sheen and volume of the landr robot master but sounds more like my mix, faults and all. Thanks again for your time!

Strat

Back