Space and Time - All Acoustic 90s Grunge/Rock Song

Before listening, I would recommend more Soundgarden, less Alice 'n' Chainz. :D

It's pretty squashed. There's really no dynamics throughout the song.

Sounds good, I like the feel of the song alot and a nice change to the chorus... it would sound less like those bands you mentioned if it didn't have the constant bu vocal, that seemed to be very defining of AIC is my first thought. I wouldn't think of aic if that bu vocal only came in during the chorus. Again my own opinion i would have just gone with it and psychedicized this mix more! The drums seem forward-maybe a bit over compressed to me-the rim shot being panned left compared to the snare center has a weird effect to me. Turnaround to the 2nd verse is a bit sloppy-not mix related..Again not mix related but another element during the chorus a higher guitar pattern? (i hear an echoed harmonium since who knows a sax player?) might add some dynamic tension between verse and chorus. Again not mix related sorry haha but why not solo on electric and keep it as the vocal gets more gruff later in the song as the climax. As far as the psychedelic thing i mentioned you get it going on in the last seconds of the song with that wash of vocals i would do more of that kind of stuff as the song builds. Sorry for almost no mix comments, i think the song has an evocative mood that could be expanded upon, the sounds/performance and mix you're getting all sound very good to me.

Don't hear much Soundgarden, lots of Alice though. The acoustics are over dominating though...I think it comes down to the fact that they seems to over compressed or just overly boomy and big. Your also loosing part of the solo because of this too. Good song though.

Snare is too loud both as side-stick in the verses and hits in the chorus (fine during the lead part). Maybe its the compression on the acoustics, or the tone, but they dont' have much definition (the way I can tell is I think it would nt be easy for me to play the part just by listening and playing along.

Last edited:
Yeah on headphones the rimshots and snare are a little loud. It is quite AIC. I like the vocals and bvs, they're very good. The tune as a whole is pretty good too although acoustics aren't really my thing. When you going to do a song with real guitars?:D

Yeah on headphones the rimshots and snare are a little loud. It is quite AIC. I like the vocals and bvs, they're very good. The tune as a whole is pretty good too although acoustics aren't really my thing. When you going to do a song with real guitars?:D

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I fixed the rimshots and snare in the latest version. Funny thing, acoustics aren't really my thing either - this is my first (mostly) all acoustic tune. AIC did some of this type of stuff, so I thought I would set myself a challenge to write an acoustic tune.

I like it.

It's just a little clogged up in the verses for me. Maybe drop the acoustics back a half dB overall and then duck them against both the vocals and electric guitar lead a little?

P.S. Yes, a bit overcompressed for me too.

Snare and sidestick are better now, but the roll-off tom and snare accents in verses are really muffled. Acoustics seem better, but agree that ducking them to the vocal would be a good idea.

To me, the recording sounds really good all around, as do the performances. It sounds really slick. My only critique is that, yeah, it just sounds too much like Alice. In fact, it sounds as though you put on "No Excuses" and said, "Ok, I'm going to do my 'No Excuses' song now."

I'm not trying to be a jerk; I hope it's not coming off like that. It really does sound good; it's just a bit too derivative IMHO.

I get the overcompressed thing ppl are saying, but I don't mind it. Sounds like it's good to go. I don't know, I've been away for awhile without any music so maybe i'm wrong, sounds good to me though!

Back