"Space", my latest collaboration

done with Wookiee,
from Kashyyyk - Village

https://soundcloud.com/wookiee-4077/space

the stream from soundcloud, just doesn't capture the depth of the mix,
but you can get the idea.

wookie's tune

keys by wookie.
guitars by me, done with my USACG strat, mesa boogie, yamaha dg stomp, palmer pdi09 capture.

Now this I can get behind a lot more than that other thingy you did.

The mixing here is so much better. The synth and guitars fit together very nicely and the lead tone is very appropriate.

Now this I can get behind a lot more than that other thingy you did.

The mixing here is so much better. The synth and guitars fit together very nicely and the lead tone is very appropriate.

synths are quite different to mix,
when they dominate the mix, for sure....

it's kinda easier, in a way.

i'll post some more of the other 'thingy' as well, for some balance.
it's all a bit different, so i shouldn't let the one thing hang.

Yea, it does have a very Pink Floydish vibe going. Pretty cool. I like space themes, lots of room for music. Cool tune. I think the synth sound around 2:ish could come down a bit. But just an opinion.

Yea, it does have a very Pink Floydish vibe going. Pretty cool. I like space themes, lots of room for music. Cool tune. I think the synth sound around 2:ish could come down a bit. But just an opinion.

THANKS FOR LISTENING dm60...

i'll let wookie know about the mix ideas

Nice seagull tone.
I like the synths though they sweep across a bit too often.

hi rayc,
appreciate the comments....

i think that since this was primarily written to showcase the synths,
they get to rule the roost!
LOL

in the studio monitors, up loud, it sounds really cool, rich and deep.

then my skinny little guitar tracks come on, and ruin it.

heheh

Cool textures in this tune. Great guitar work by the way. I agree with some others on this that the synths with the higher frequencies are too dominant. At first listen I felt like I needed to go to the dentist, felt my fillings. From a guitarist perspective I think the lead guitar should be at least equal in the mix as the other instruments. Take that for what it's worth. Collaborations can be tricky, Everyone wants to hear their part up in the mix. I think that's why it can be a challenge to share a band stand with another guitarist. The band keeps getting louder as the night goes on.

I enjoyed it. I'm driving home and have it coming out my car stereo. It translates very well. The guitar work it really good and solid and complements the tune. The guitar tone is killer. I really like the guitar. The synths sound like synths. What can I say, I'm a guitar man....
Great tune Gonzo!

That rising bass synth is great. Guitar lead tone is good too. Very Floyd. I might cut back the rising bass synth over the lead when it happens. The main synth at 1:48 kind of hurts when it reaches full volume. I'd maybe want to even that out so it doesn't bury the electric guitar lead in that section.

Spacey bitchin'.

Cool textures in this tune. Great guitar work by the way. I agree with some others on this that the synths with the higher frequencies are too dominant. At first listen I felt like I needed to go to the dentist, felt my fillings. From a guitarist perspective I think the lead guitar should be at least equal in the mix as the other instruments. Take that for what it's worth. Collaborations can be tricky, Everyone wants to hear their part up in the mix. I think that's why it can be a challenge to share a band stand with another guitarist. The band keeps getting louder as the night goes on.

hey, thanks for listening paulisher.....

i didn't mix this one,
but i may do a re-mix in the future......

i only supplied the guitar parts,
and i thought the guitar parts were plenty loud,
i sure would not want them any louder,
or they would be standing out,
and not supportive of the keys, which are carrying the melodies......

that said, i think i WOULD approach the key mix a bit differently,
but on any given day, i like chocolate more than strawberry.

heheh

I enjoyed it. I'm driving home and have it coming out my car stereo. It translates very well. The guitar work it really good and solid and complements the tune. The guitar tone is killer. I really like the guitar. The synths sound like synths. What can I say, I'm a guitar man....
Great tune Gonzo!

i thought it translated pretty well too!
that said, car stereos are the HARDEST to get to translate....
and maybe the 'hotness' of the synths described in the previous posts suggest that the car stereo rolls off,
or maybe compresses a bit, the overall sound?

the synths sound REALLY good thru a cranked full range and flat system.
but, that TRANSLATION thing has to get dialed in.......

thanks for checking it out jimi

Hi, Gonzo. Why do you never comment on anybody else's stuff? It all seems very one-sided.

bubba, i comment fairly regularly,
at least on stuff that really grabs me.
stuff that doesn't do it for me, i'd rather just not say anything, than say something negative.
there's enough negativity around here without me adding.

That rising bass synth is great. Guitar lead tone is good too. Very Floyd. I might cut back the rising bass synth over the lead when it happens. The main synth at 1:48 kind of hurts when it reaches full volume. I'd maybe want to even that out so it doesn't bury the electric guitar lead in that section.

Spacey bitchin'.

thanks stugort,
for listening and commenting

glad you dig this one,
it's a bit of a departure for me,
which was why i wanted to do it.

maybe, if i do get to re-mix this myself,
i'll try a limiter across the synth that is that dominant melody,
and crush it down to where it sits in the other spots..

or maybe, it's just dead easy to ride the volume on it, that's the easiest way to tame stuff like this.

i'll definitely focus on that if the chance arises....
i'd love to include this song on my upcoming album,
if i can figure a way to seque it into the one before, and the one after......

Back