Sp2

Can't wait to hear the full song with vocal.

i think i've said that for every tune JD has posted. ;)

yeah this is much better. the ska/reggae stuff sounds great, as does the new lead tone. around 1:50, the accumulation of guitars starts to bury the drums, to my ears.

Sounds good. I'm not hearing the erratic levels of the first mix. Guitar tones are good, both clean and distorted. I'm hearing no obvious need for compression on the clean guitar, so I guess you got that sorted. That rhythm lead figure early on sounds different, but fine either way. Can't wait to hear the full song with vocal.
I just played the wah, wah rhythms a little more carefully and then compressed them slightly to take the peaks off in the mix.
Completely reworked the riff - it was a high widdly thing that I didn't really like before. Made the solo at the end fit in more with what I was doing too.

Did a bit of work on the vox earlier - may be a while!

This sounds great to me man. I'm not going to try and nit pick it because I feel like that's already been done adequately. I'm just going to comment on the overall vibe. It has a great fat sound without being muddy at all. That's not easy to accomplish. The tune is really good too....very catchy. I love what you're doing Jdude. You're getting great results.

This sounds great to me man. I'm not going to try and nit pick it because I feel like that's already been done adequately. I'm just going to comment on the overall vibe. It has a great fat sound without being muddy at all. That's not easy to accomplish. The tune is really good too....very catchy. I love what you're doing Jdude. You're getting great results.

Cheers, Jimi. Took me a little while - but I'm pretty happy that I've now got my driven sounds dialed in as I want them - this means I'll have to re-record a bunch of stuff for continuity! The lack of muddiness was a tip Greg gave me to stick an SD1 with the level maxed out but the gain on zero in front of my amp - really tightens up the bottom end and then you can make slight tweaks with the tone control.

haha, now I've got my sound sorted it should free up some time to work on my fucking singing! haha, maybe not.

i think i've said that for every tune JD has posted. ;)

yeah this is much better. the ska/reggae stuff sounds great, as does the new lead tone. around 1:50, the accumulation of guitars starts to bury the drums, to my ears.

OK gents, here's a quick vocal test mix of this, just one verse and chorus:

View attachment SP2 Pre Vox Test Mix.mp3

This seems to sit together a little better than the other one - its a far simpler song though.

Nice bellowing there towards the end.
Cheers, I do like that vocal style - its what I eventually want to be able to do properly and consistently, with more variation in pitch. At the moment, that's all on E.

I need to finished the lyrics for this though as it should be an easy song to complete. When I start putting works into the lyrics it will probably end up with an extra verse too.

This is really good, certainly has a time stamp on it...I actually find myself wishing the mix wasnt as good.

wasnt super keen on the lead tone, liked the ska part the best...skank with wah is always something I like

you should finish it as a tune, I mean with vox

---------- Update ----------

ah I just read youre finishing lyrics...look forward to it

This is really good, certainly has a time stamp on it...I actually find myself wishing the mix wasnt as good.

wasnt super keen on the lead tone, liked the ska part the best...skank with wah is always something I like

you should finish it as a tune, I mean with vox

---------- Update ----------

ah I just read youre finishing lyrics...look forward to it

Cheers, mate. This is probably 2nd on the "to finish" list at the mo. Did you notice that there's an early vocal mix at the bottom of the previous page? Just one verse and one chorus.

This is sounding pretty good I think. You do have everything here sounding more or less in the same space and the levels seem good.

My only thought was that the vocals seemed to have the same treatment throughout, and I found myself wondering if the more scream-like parts towards the end of your clip would be more impactful if you dried them up a bit for some contrast? I just think that part deserves its own treatment to bring it out more, you know?

Interesting the way you work...fleshing out tones and basic structure on a number of pieces and then returning weeks or more later to add vocals and stuff. I don't have the patience for that. Once I have an idea I run with it until it's done, and then I move on to the next. I don't think I could juggle multiple tunes like that. It's cool from a clinic perspective though to follow along with what you're doing.

Haha, mate. If could sing when I wrote the songs I would have.

I'm not quite achieving what I want yet but the reason I went back months later is cos I wasn't capable of it when I wrote the song.

I'll have a think about the dry vocal.

Back