Southern Rock Mix Review

studioinaboxnc

First post, and first hobby mix here...

This is a local band I recorded and mixed, doing a cover of the song "Seminole Wind". Looking for any feedback on obvious rookie mistakes / room for improvement. Literally recorded in a garage; These guys were fun to work with, had 5 part harmonies in some of their songs. I've been collecting gear over the years and trying to get some additional exposure to the recording and mixing side of things.

Recording was done on a Tascam DP-24SD. Recorded drums, 2 guitars, & bass live and tracked the lead and background vox. Mixing done in Ardour 3.

Thanks!

View attachment SeminoleWind.mp3

You could high pass the guitars a bit more to make them a little more modern sounding, but that's more a matter of taste and for the genre I think they're pretty perfect. It almost sounds like you recorded to tape. The only thing I would definitely do is turn the drums up. Very nice and natural performance from the band.

Great song. I dig this kind of stuff.

Vocals sound terrific. Your rhythm guitar on the right is stepping on your vocals. Turn it down. It's got a kind of nasally tone that isn't great. I put it lower in the mix. The lead guitar on the left sounded a bit in-your-face, both in the intro and solo break. You might pan it inward and lower it.

During the dueling lead guitars parts, you need to get those two lead guitars balanced and talking to each other better. Solo them and just work on finding a blend that sounds good. You're going to have to decide which of those two is carrying the melody, and which one is in a supporting role. Then you want to mix them together so that the supporting one is lower in the mix. I'd suggest the one of the right should be lower.

This was fun to listen to. Post the remix so we can see the progress. And welcome to the MP3 Clinic! Hope you stick around and comment on other mixes here.

Thanks for the feedback, this was a fun one to record with these guys. I totally get the suggestions and will re-post once I've made some tweaks. Thanks!

Drums are very quiet, can def come up. Thought the vocal performance was iffy, especially in the beginning. Got better as it moved on though. That tom fill isn't working very well, the long one. It may just be the level of the drums altogether, but the sound really drops out big time and it's not carrying the section along well with the way it sounds now. See if bringing the drums up helps. I agree with Robus that the two guitars aren't vibing well together. Sounds like simple level adjustments, though, to get it right. Also, the vocal was very dry compared to the rest of the music. I'd add some more reverb, however you're applying it.

Not bad at all. Looking forward to the remix. And welcome.

I heard a couple of small pops on the right side during the intro.

The guitars sound a little muffled. Like they're missing energy above 3K or so.

Cool song. I like the singer's voice. Very cool.

Once the mix kicks in, there is some clashing and clutter in the midrange - like the 1K - 2K area. Guitars and vocals are stepping on each other.

The lead vocal is kind of sitting on top of everything a bit too much.

The drums are quite far back in the mix.

The backing vocal is missing some high end.

I liked the tone of the bass. I thought that was cool.

Back