Soundtrack - Outnumbered: How does this mix sound?

constantthought

artworks-000067503789-7jzzcj-t200x200.jpg

I've been working on this piece on headphones since yesterday and after running it through my speakers I realised it didn't sound quite right. So I tweaked it and got it sounding okay through my speakers but I'm wondering if there's anything obvious anyone can notice or any suggestions for improvement and how the mix feels?

If you have monitors that would be great to hear some feedback on how it sounds through them as I only have some mid-high end pc speakers currently.

Thanks!

At about 1 minute in, it feels a bit hectic? I'm not totally sure where everything is meant to be sitting in the mix, maybe a bit of compression would help this?

At about 1 minute in, it feels a bit hectic? I'm not totally sure where everything is meant to be sitting in the mix, maybe a bit of compression would help this?

Yes, I was trying to go for a build up to a wall of sound scenario as i wanted it to be quite in your face, with a lot of distorted sfx symbolising the arrival of these ships but then again perhaps it's a bit too much? I do have a tendency to over complicate things and have twenty tracks where 3 would work better

I'm listening with a netbook and busted earbuds - I'm probably missing quite a bit, but I think it works for what you're saying (lots of ships?). The trumpet-y thing in the beggining maybe could come down a little bit because it seems more present than is appropriate at that stage in the buildup.

it's just a little forward on the tom drum sound at 200Hz ish, somewhere around there, and it makes it boomy, and it masks other tracks. The choir parts are also not very clear in the mix towards the end but from what I can hear of them, they sound good and well arranged so it's a shame you can't hear more of it, the strings are also a bit out of phase, they sound like there is some kind of very short delay on them. Listening on neumann monitors, just so you know, very flat freq response.

I thought it sounded really cool (listening through headphones). The only thing I didn't like was at the part that starts about 2:05 when it's the same note over and over for about thirty seconds, that got hard to take.

Back