Soon You'll Be Leaving

New mix ... thanks in advance for any/all comments!

Kev-

Great song and mix. Very personal, but for my taste, I think if you could make the mix a touch more.. i dunno.. indie sounding (!?!?!).. and a little less bright, polished, adult contempoary sounding, you'd have something quite awesome here.

Great song and mix. Very personal, but for my taste, I think if you could make the mix a touch more.. i dunno.. indie sounding (!?!?!).. and a little less bright, polished, adult contempoary sounding, you'd have something quite awesome here.

Do you mean a little more "lofi"? I'm remixing the whole album ... so should I take another direction ... now is the time to do it. Thanks for the comment!

Kev-

I wouldn't mix it that dry personally, especially on the lead vocals. The snare drum is a little flat sounding as well, the drums would benefit from some room verb, and some more processing to make them punch harder. The song is really good though, and very well written so well done on that

Nah, nothing indie on this.
It's a ballad that needs classic ballad treatment.
Everything to serve the vocal/melody/story.
To that end bring down the main guitar a little.
Quite nice work KW.

Great stuff Kev,

I don't know about Lo-Fi, but I kind of get Hegs point. I like your style and you are very good at getting a full, well balanced mix, and this is pretty much there.

However, for this song it might be worth experimenting with a mix that hangs off the vocal, where the bottom end is thinner, and the backing track is more acoustic (less chorus guitar), and has a few imperfections that help carry the sentiment. Just as an experiment mind you...

Great tune, best I've heard from you. I think its just right all around.

Really nice work with a powerful emotion to it.

The problem with this song is, you could go so many ways with it and it would work. I would say, based on your voice sounding very much like Meatloaf on Bat Out of Hell you could give it that mix. It is not just a ballad song, it is like a stage performance.

I don't hear anything wrong with, just various different ways it could be presented. But that would just be opinions, and that you don't really need. :)

Yep... great ballad Kev... do it your way.

Unfortunately I can't give it the rep it deserves until I "spread it around" :)

I wouldn't mix it that dry personally, especially on the lead vocals. The snare drum is a little flat sounding as well, the drums would benefit from some room verb, and some more processing to make them punch harder. The song is really good though, and very well written so well done on that
Duly noted ... particularly the comment on the snare/vocals. Thanks for the input!

Nah, nothing indie on this.
It's a ballad that needs classic ballad treatment.
Everything to serve the vocal/melody/story.
To that end bring down the main guitar a little.
Quite nice work KW.

Thanks Ray! I'd wondered if I overwhelmed a little bit w/ it.

Great stuff Kev,

I don't know about Lo-Fi, but I kind of get Hegs point. I like your style and you are very good at getting a full, well balanced mix, and this is pretty much there.

However, for this song it might be worth experimenting with a mix that hangs off the vocal, where the bottom end is thinner, and the backing track is more acoustic (less chorus guitar), and has a few imperfections that help carry the sentiment. Just as an experiment mind you...

All good things to play around with Tobe -- thanks for the thoughts, bud!

Great tune, best I've heard from you. I think its just right all around.

Really nice work with a powerful emotion to it.

This is actually my music w/ lyrics by my buddy, John McLaughlin, who now front the Celtic rock band Dicey Riley

I think it was a nice marriage of the two elements -- and thanks for the kind thoughts!

The problem with this song is, you could go so many ways with it and it would work. I would say, based on your voice sounding very much like Meatloaf on Bat Out of Hell you could give it that mix. It is not just a ballad song, it is like a stage performance.

I don't hear anything wrong with, just various different ways it could be presented. But that would just be opinions, and that you don't really need. :)

I LOVE the opinions from the folks here -- for I work alone and truly appreciate the added perspective. I'm one of those people that will actually go back and experiment and make changes based on the advice received in the forums ... for often I NEVER would have thought or caught some of the things that come up in discussion.

I listen to everything said -- and then I act based on weighing the improvements suggested. Sometimes I'll go with my original notion, but more often than not, I'll leverage the advice in order to make the production better ... so yes, I do do it the way I want it, but PLEASE never stop throwing thoughts out there ... for I rely quite heavily on them.

:)

Back