"A Song From Under The Floorboards" - a work in progress.

Cool bass sound. Sounds like some kind of 70s funk or disco element.
I'm not too wild about the toms. They sound a bit weak.
The guitar on the right makes the mix feel a bit lop-sided to me.
The vocal is a bit dryer than the rest. Not knocking this one but that's the feeling that I got. The guitar on the right has a lot of chorus on it or something in comparison.

Cheers, Schwarzenyaeger - yes there's a lot to sort out in the mix, yet. The toms haven't been e.q.d at all yet, for instance. The reason why the mix is out of balance is that Hammond organ, piano and Moog synthesizer parts are all missing from the left-hand side of the stereo at the moment! As soon as my pal gets his ass in gear, that situation will be rectified. :D Glad you liked the bass tone, it's not to everyone's taste, I admit! Triple M, the chorus effect scoops out the low mids due to phasing. It's a bit of a "Marmite" thing, I think.

Well you do interesting songs... did I see a Dr Hook cover lurking around here some place? Seriously, ain't listening to that... I'll await the originals with interest - you have good ears and you like good songs, so chances are...

What I find fascinating about this place is that there are people roaming round the board providing general advice to noobs and others about everything under the sun like they're a recording champion, and then they post their stuff in the clinic and they suck hugely... either can't write, can't sing, can't play or can't record... sometimes all at the same time. Now I know you're not going to be one of those people... :thumbs up:

Just have to get my own stuff happening or some unkind bastard will say the same about me... :D

I'm blushing now, you're being too nice to me. Can we have the old chain-yanking Armistice back? :D

I really liked the bass tone. I guess it depends how faithful you want to be to the original on this one bubba - Magazine's recording has the mids hyped quite a lot and the overall sound is quite thin. Your version has a fatter low end, which I think is actually more pleasant to listen to. It's a judgement call for you on that score I think.

Snare sounds fine, but a touch more presence in the mids make the mix shine more.

Performance sounds really good as usual, and it's a great tune. Look forward to hearing with keys

I really liked the bass tone. I guess it depends how faithful you want to be to the original on this one bubba - Magazine's recording has the mids hyped quite a lot and the overall sound is quite thin. Your version has a fatter low end, which I think is actually more pleasant to listen to. It's a judgement call for you on that score I think.

Snare sounds fine, but a touch more presence in the mids make the mix shine more.

Performance sounds really good as usual, and it's a great tune. Look forward to hearing with keys

Thanks very much, Rob. Yes, I prefer the fatter sound to the harder, more brittle sounding version on "Correct Use Of Soap". My EQ is tending towards the version on the official live album. I want to combine my favourite elements of both, ideally!

The devil lives under the floorboards.... I'm sure there's a Christian message in here somewhere, if only I could find it...

:laughings:

The Motorcade is an ingenious disguise for bareback donkey riding on Palm Sunday.

Not sure where you were going with the bareback donkey riding, Ray, but I appreciate the other vid!

Here's a bizarre coincidence; my mate who's doing the keyboards for me (on Thursday! Yay!!) is in a band - an actual BAND - with Robin Simon! So I get to meet him in June when I go see them at my local pub. Bloody hell. :D

Love the tight, punchy bass on that....and the guitar tones are fine. If you dialed back the gain that would work too. Overdistortion can wreck mixes but for me...only when they crowd the mix. This is well isolated guitar...which let's you get away with whatever tone you want.

The snare seems punchy to me...and sort of out of place because of that. I didn't read any comments before I wrote that...my impression of the mix.

Could be just adding some "crack" at 2500 (somewhere around there) and then fading the whole track back a couple db might help.

Bubba! Very nice. I rarely hear flange on a bass part that I like. You have made the exceptions list. Nice guitar tones, too. Wish my grandson was as talented on the drums as your son (he just sort of bashes on things so far (only 7)...Looking forward to hearing with keys.

Love the tight, punchy bass on that....and the guitar tones are fine. If you dialed back the gain that would work too. Overdistortion can wreck mixes but for me...only when they crowd the mix. This is well isolated guitar...which let's you get away with whatever tone you want.

The snare seems punchy to me...and sort of out of place because of that. I didn't read any comments before I wrote that...my impression of the mix.

Could be just adding some "crack" at 2500 (somewhere around there) and then fading the whole track back a couple db might help.

Thanks, Stu. I have a new mix waiting in the wings where I have worked on the snare a fair bit, and the 2.5k boost is one of the things I've employed. It seems to have worked but lets see. I'm recording piano, organ and synth on Thursday night then re-doing the lead vocal with a bit more conviction/performance. I literally was slouching back in a leather office chair with an SM58 up to my gob when I did this. :D Oh, and I have some vocal harmonies already recorded.

Bubba! Very nice. I rarely hear flange on a bass part that I like. You have made the exceptions list. Nice guitar tones, too. Wish my grandson was as talented on the drums as your son (he just sort of bashes on things so far (only 7)...Looking forward to hearing with keys.

Thanks very much! On the whole I don't like flanged/chorused basses, they're so 80s with that Mick Karn/ Pino Paladino sound. But on the other hand, with the new wave bands like Magazine, Siouxsie and the Banshees et al it seemed to work. Perhaps because they were paired with an aggressive and note-picked flange guitar sound as well.

I've been very lucky with Frank. He's been able to play drums decently since he was about five and now he's sixteen. He's also amenable to doing my drum tracks for me, which is just fantastic. Not long to wait for the keys, and they do add a lot. They may even help with this damned snare that's giving everybody the earache. :D

Mick Karn's slidey chorused fretless bass is very him isn't it but there are a few Japan gems that I could imagine no other way. Sylvian took that sound into his 1st solo album and Rec Guitars is a great example.
Looking forward to keys...please...

Looking forward to keys...please...

Tonight's the night! :D I actually had a go at doing the keyboards myself last night and I was very surprised at how decent they sounded, bearing in mind the keyboard I used is not much more than a toy. The Moog sound is a bit feeble, though. I might post a mix with my keys alongside my mate's effort for comparison tomorrow!

Back