A song I made with a friend (djent-groove metal-funky-ambient)

ianopie

A song me (guitar and bass) and my friend (drummer) wrote this week just for fun. Hope you enjoy it and any comment (regarding the mix etc.) is welcome!

"The Djent is strong in this one" -said in the best Darth Vader voice I can muster.

I'm loving the ambient part after the Djent riff. It's like you took something of the same kind of style as Dream Theater but made it a little more melodic and not so wanky/virtuostic (not that I'm calling it simple, it's a great melody and does what it needs to for the song) It's more pleasing to the ears and less confusing than some DT stuff can be.

I've been holding on to a new for a song or album for a while called "Serenity in Calamity" but honestly, this song does that title more justice than I have in anything I've ever written. Just an idea for a thought pattern for a name of this song.

I like how there is a definite break between the djent and the melodic and throughout the song you're slowly blending them more and more together. It's like if you could somehow force water and oil to mix. I like it.

I'm not great at mixing, I can't offer a whole lot of advice there. I'm not noticing anything jarring or anything that really jumps out as "weird" or anything. This is a solid mix IMO.

The 1st 10 seconds was just noise and there was no evident groove or funkiness to be found.
Sorry, I couldn't listen beyond that. It's probably genre appropriate but...

intro guitar gating is really off putting,i was going for the count to 5 rule (count to 5,then fook it orf) then the nice melodic stuff started ...

that kick needs some taming on the top end,lots of "clacking" going on and has no "boom"

gotta track a bass guitar man ...

whole mix has a harshness to it that makes it difficult to listen to at louder volumes,coupled with overcompression,compression here imo is over used,instead of a glue its over accentuating stuff you need to clean up ... the sounds are pretty good,just need taming :)

try throwing this on a guitar subgroup LoudMax and back off on the compressor ... can bung it on your master channel to to tame some sneaky stuff,just don't over use it (edit:- dont overuse it on master channel,can smash the tits outta the guitar subbus if ya want,i think it would work well :D )

track itself is great,im on my 5th listen now and tbh i cant listen again, i can feel my ears squeezing up,there tired ...

btw i am in no way knocking your work,im pointing out what i believe to to true,i love this kinda stuff when its done well,and this IS done well,its just that mix !

I meant to ask this earlier...

Can you tell me what set up you're using for cab/amp/eq on your bass? It has a wicked tone. Also, what bass are you using in this mix?

Back