Is this song done....?

seeking

Hi all.

This time I have a sad little song for u to judge. Im not finnish regarding fine polishing the song (thinking of melodyne and timing and so on), but what I am wondering, does this song need more tracks..? Iv often heard "less is more" and is this one of those times..?

Any suggestions is much appreciated...

Best regards
-einar-

oh...btw, here's the song : https://app.box.com/s/9yur1o7wrea60vd0y1bd0sv2i4oct0or

Hi Einar. I wouldn't worry about Melodyne, but I would do something about your lower midrange. The piano sound is quite dark and roomy. The interaction between the piano and the voice is giving your mix a muddy sound. Try some slight reductions in the lower midrange of piano and voice or both. See if that clears things up. You might try a high pass filter on both as well. The strings that come in late in the song are playing in the same register as the voice and piano, so they are compounding the problem. If that is MIDI, you could try raising the part an octave.

Is a good performance. A little more clarity in the mix would allow the song to come across better.

Agree with everything Robus said. On a performance level, I think the first verse was a little low for your voice range. It's a little shaky down there and at times it just sounded like you were mumbling a little but...I get trying to be "intimate" but you need a strong performance there. The rest isn't too bad. I like the lyrics, and the piano is played nicely.

Seeking, at the start of the song, the piano is louder than the vocal. You have to be able to hear that. Later the vocal is slightly louder. This suggests some real dynamic problems. Look at your compressor settings and know what they mean (no offense, but this is basic). Nice chord at the 1:27 mark. Sounds like a borrowed chord/secondary dominant and really lifts things. Enjoyed that bit. Mix needs quite a bit of work. After figuring out the dynamics, please repost.

Agree with all comments buddy. I would definitely start with the piano at intro down in volume. Eq of the piano will help there as well.

I like the simple idea of 'less is more' on this though. And the song really has meaning. Props to ya bro! I seriously got a tear in my eye...

Is this personal to you? If so, I wish the best for your boy and you. <3

Hi all.
First; the lyrics are not related to me. Just a song i made many years ago and now re-recorded with better equipment. As all you mention, the mixing is way off. Story of my life;-)

Thats why I now always sent my tracks to Jimmy or Paul. What I was wondering on this occasion was, does this song need more sounds..? Should i try laying down a soft solo guitar here and there in the song..? other instrument..?
I know its almost impossible to pre-decide? if the song will benefit from more tracks, but what does the gut feelings tells you (bear in mind my limited skills;-)...? leave it as is(before I sent it to mix/mastering), or record some more..?

Thanks

-einar-

Last edited:
One thing that struck me was that the vocal and piano sounded like they were in different places. The vocal has a bunched of juiced high end and piano is lacking high end. Yet there are spots where the vocal gets lost behind the piano. It might be mic technique when tracking the vocal.

On the other hand. i thought it was a beautiful song. The expression in the vocal delivery was excellent. Beautiful.

One thing that struck me was that the vocal and piano sounded like they were in different places. The vocal has a bunched of juiced high end and piano is lacking high end. Yet there are spots where the vocal gets lost behind the piano. It might be mic technique when tracking the vocal.

On the other hand. i thought it was a beautiful song. The expression in the vocal delivery was excellent. Beautiful.

Thanks alot.
I dont do any mixing myself any more. Dont have the place or the ears. So this request was only for the arrangement.

-einar-

Back