Song 4 in my Slovenia project - "Can Talk". Thoughts and Criticisms welcomed

reverbdk

Song 4 in my Slovenia project - "Can Talk". Thoughts and Criticisms welcomed

I've slowly been working on my techniques through a project over the past year. This latest one is called "Can Talk".

Let me know what you all think, and any suggestions on my relative levels... I think my room deceives me into thinking there is more lower end than is truly being mixed. That's what I get for mixing in an apartment lolz

Hello there, I' found the vocals too dry, they could use some reverb, they also seem a little just a little out of tune in some parts. By the way the vocalist sings the low parts, I think those parts are too low to his register. You could record a second track for the acoustic guitar and pan it right and left to open the sound.

Anyway, every instrument sounds clear, is a good mix, so good work.

Regards,

zero00 thanks for lending your ears.
I agree about the sound being opened up; this is something that I really haven't been able to do too successfully. I use Reaper most of the time, and I have tried panning the acoustic guitar to either side (I did so in this track), and EQing each track to complement one another, but it still doesn't seem to do the trick. My goal in doing so is normally to make it sound brighter and fuller. However, the acoustic guitar is not panned full to either side. Do you recommend panning 100% to both sides?

I really like this. It's a good little song. I really like the vocals too, despite a few minor discrepancies on tuning, I didn't think it was too bad. I enjoyed the song, the singing and actually being able to hear the words clearly. (Something of a rarity these days) A touch of reverb would help space it out.

I would agree with zero00, record another acoustic rhythm track and pan the two left and right, maybe 70/80% - see what sounds best to you. Don't just copy the track and pan though, that wont have the same effect at all.

Can't fault the instrumentation and performance, except for a bit of string buzz on the acoustic, but that fits it somehow. It's just a shame it's all a bit Mono*. Get some panning going on in there and give the sounds room to breathe and it'll be top dollar.

*Not that there is anything wrong with Mono. I'm deaf in one ear and I hear everything in Mono but I can appreciate Stereo just as well.

Thanks a lot on the feedback for spacing out the recording.

I would agree with zero00, record another acoustic rhythm track and pan the two left and right, maybe 70/80% - see what sounds best to you. Don't just copy the track and pan though, that wont have the same effect at all.

Yeah I had taken the same track and just duplicated it. It's funny I didn't realize that just copying it won't be as much a benefit as rerecording the whole take as a separate track. There would be different timbre, different distribution of frequencies, and just minor little differences to set it apart and space out the song a bit. In case you were wondering, the acoustic turns out to be panned exactly 70% to either side. However since it is exactly the same track playing at exactly the same time (just a bit of eq tweaking to differentiate the two), it appears that the panning doesn't do much good to space it out.
I just don't want to fall back on relying on some sort of sonic maximizer or stereo enhancing effect to do the job for me. I figure there has got to be a way to achieve good spacing without relying on plugins.

Again, thanks for the helpful comments. I will certainly keep rockin :)

Holy eff.

Just want to update real quick. I was messing around with the track and spacing it out a bit. Well when I inverted the phase on one track of the acoustic guitar, it was absolutely glorious. The tracks became two clear, separate tracks. I will be uploading a new version of it soon. Just wanted to let you all know the good news.

EDIT: ok so here is the new version. I am very excited after your guys' criticisms. Let me know if this sounds like it's got more room to breath.

Last edited:
Back